“A very good place”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 26, 2012

A great place to stay in New York. It is close to the Sub and really easy to find your way to down town or the Village. I would possibly look for something a little closer to the Village or Time Square when I come back. The staff were great and it is run more like a hotel. The rooms are clean and showers and toilets are cleaned regularly. My only 2 real criticisms are that the internet can be hit and miss when the foyer is full and the breakfasts are a little bit of a waste of money as there is not much choice. I would rather make my own in their large kitchen. Lots of activities. Also it is a no alcohol but if you are discreet about the staff seem to not have too much fuss.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Hi Hostel in New York for two and a half weeks and loved it! Great location, loads of activities and fantastic staff. A shout out goes to Paul who really made our stay :) we'll be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The staff here really let down what could otherwise be a decent hostel. I understand that they are busy, but if not employing more staff sacrifices their overall efficiency and effectiveness then what a waste of everyone's time. At no point did I feel like anyone was genuinely interested in helping me when I made inquiries at the front desk. The rooms are musty and cramped, with beds that squeak at the slightest movement. The (single) elevator takes about 10 minutes for any given movement between floors, so much so that staying on the third floor for two weeks I think I only used it twice. I was charged extra to store my bicycle in a luggage room - $5 per day which was ridiculously steep. It is a long way from the trendy areas downtown, so $60/night to share a stuffy dorm with seven other people is robbery. I will never stay here again and I will urge others to avoid it at all opportunities.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rolandcdavies
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here for six nights and had such a good time! It's definitely the best hostel i've ever stayed at!!! Everything feels so clean and organized. We stayed in a 10 bed female dorm, the room was big and there was lots of space, every bed got it's own locker as well.. There's a café on the ground floor that serves sandwiches, paninis, bagels, soup.. You name it and the prices are reasonable. They also got a nice kitchen if you'd like to cook your own food, we never used it but from what u could see it looked nice!
The bathrooms are amazingly clean and i'm pretty sure they are newly renovated as well.. Even though this hostel sleeps A LOT of people i never had to wait in line for a shower..

The hostel is only a block away from the red subway line and about three blocks away from the orange line, both take you downtown in no time.. The staff is veeeery friendly and helpful, they'll help you out with pretty much anything..

We had a great stay, would go back and stay here again when i go back to New York!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Spent 3 nights here during August in a 10bed dorm for females - was great! Each bed has a locker in which you can put your valuables in. It's also less than a block from a main line subway which has all the prefect stops on - times square etc and the atmosphere was amazing. Met people from australia, newzealand, diferent parts of america. The hostel even host tours and put on quiz nights and movie nights etc - I would go again!

Room Tip: bring a lock for the locker!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I only spent a night there. The location is less than a block from the subway. They offer everything you can think of from a coffee shop, a kitchen, movie night, library, tours, transportation etc. Very helpful staff and very active hub in general. Feels a lot like a dorm so if you are looking for a charming small spot this is not your place. It's was too busy for my taste and lacked personal attention. Very affordable. But it's not your mom and pop shop.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MunaH
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed here during October 2012 and this was our third visit. We stayed as a family of four (including 2 teenagers 13 and 15) for 10 nights. We had an overnight flight from Las Vegas and arrived very early. We could leave our bags for the day and return later for check in. We had a private room which had a private bathroom. Our room had a queen size bed and a set of bunks, a small refrigerator, a coffee maker and a chest of drawers, together with hanging space. Since our last visit they have included a flat screen tv on the wall! Bathroom was spotless and fresh towels every day.

Subway close by (2 stations) and does not take long to get where you want to go. Supermarket right near the subway station, so could stock up to eat at the hostel (breakfast and dinner). Fantastic kitchen facilities. Wi-fi available throughout hostel.

We went on a lot of the tours that are offered by the hostel - Bronx, Greenwich Village, Harlem Gospel tour and Brooklyn. Fantastic value - $10.00 per person and the guides were full of information and if you did not know how to use/by a metrocard for the subway, they helped with this. Greenwich village your was supposed to be from 10.00am to 1.00pm but we did not finish until 4.00pm. Great day (lots of walking!). I would definitely recommend this hostel for families and the area feels safe with children.

I would stay here again. Absolutely love the hostel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family