“Great hostel for NYC prices”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great hostel for NYC prices”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed in this hostel for about 10 days and I enjoyed it. I stayed in a 12-bed female dorm. For New York City prices, I guess this was reasonable, though it really needs a little bit of TLC. The room was nice and spacious which was great but definitely not good if you want privacy! It meant you were easily able to make friends though, which is good if you are travelling alone. Not so great if you find it hard to sleep if there is noise and light though! Bring an eye-mask and ear-plugs if that is the case! Each bed had its own lamp and locker, which was great. The bathrooms were okay, they were mass bathrooms down each end of each floor with cubicles with separate showers and toilets. They were fairly clean, they were very similar to what you'd find in a camping ground. I was disappointed that breakfast wasn't provided but they did have a good kitchen with lots of utensils to use and lots of storage space for food. They also had a few good living areas. They had lots of tours running every day and events each night- I went to a few comedy nights and the movie night and I enjoyed them. The location was alright. There's two subway stations on either side of the hostel- one is a block over, the other is about three and central park is a short walk as well. It was easy to get to Times Square and other places from the station on Broadway (a block over).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I feel like I should review this awesome place again. I have stayed here 4 times in the past 2 years and it is great. I will be staying at other HI hostels next year, and I can only hope they live up to this one. Who knows, I may be back here again!

Tons of great activities/tours. Even if you think you want to go around the city solo, do the guided tours and activities. We went clubbing, did a pub crawl, a tour of High Line Park, and went to an awesome boat bar called The Frying Pan.

The staff/tour guides you will meet are also great, they are like friends.

Room Tip: Elevator is a little slow, but it's an old building
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overall a very good hostel, a large hostel with friendly staff and good facilities, lots of tours and activities put on, which is a good way to meet people. Careful of the pub crawls, met some awesome people on it. however went to one place where the drinks were watered down and there was always a group of pick pocketers and 2 girls got their phone stolen, keep handbags close. There are a good number of dodgy bars and deals on the tours so just watch out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived in the big city of NY a nervous solo traveller and was so glad that I picked HI. I stayed for four nights and loved the other travellers that I met there. Although it's a fairly large hostel, if you try branch out and make some new friends, you'll definitely find a few.
I found the staff quite friendly and happy to help, and generally my roommates were respectful of the 11pm lights-out rule, although they mainly kept to themselves. Waiting in the lobby for a Downtown Tour (where the tour guide never showed up..) proved fruitful because there I met the people that I would explore NY with for the next few days.
The bathroom is clean and looks brand new, the sheets/towels are fresh and the lockers are standard-sized (just don't forget to bring your own lock!) The hostel is very close to the subway station however the commute into downtown takes a decent amount of time.
Overall I had a pretty great experience at HI and I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

this hostel always has activities and tours every day, which are a fantastic way to meet people. The staff were always super helpful and friendly. I had the best time here, and the free breakfasts were an awesome bonus!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great location, great value for money, had lovely refurbished bathroom facilities, friendly staff. Would definitely stay again. 2 minutes walk to the nearest tube station with local cafes and fast food restaurants near by.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fern G
Georgia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I came here on business on the Upper East side and simply could not justify the $250+ a night in a hotel in the area. I had stayed at HI on a personal trip before, and came back here. I was booked into a 6 person "premium" room, and when I checked in they put me in a 4 person room. Everyone was quiet and respectful and no one complained that I came in at almost 2 am due to a late flight (I had done all I needed to in the bathroom and tiptoed into the room as quietly as I could). With my premium room I got free breakfast, but even if you don't get breakfast free, the cafe downstairs has excellent cheap coffee and basic pasteries. Clean. Friendly staff.

Oh, and I was able to get to the Upper East Side via the 86 st crosstown bus and the subway for $2.25 and about 15 min. My boss is going to love my expense report.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business