“good hostel - Crawl warning”

Hostelling International - New York
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“good hostel - Crawl warning”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Overall a very good hostel, a large hostel with friendly staff and good facilities, lots of tours and activities put on, which is a good way to meet people. Careful of the pub crawls, met some awesome people on it. however went to one place where the drinks were watered down and there was always a group of pick pocketers and 2 girls got their phone stolen, keep handbags close. There are a good number of dodgy bars and deals on the tours so just watch out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived in the big city of NY a nervous solo traveller and was so glad that I picked HI. I stayed for four nights and loved the other travellers that I met there. Although it's a fairly large hostel, if you try branch out and make some new friends, you'll definitely find a few.
I found the staff quite friendly and happy to help, and generally my roommates were respectful of the 11pm lights-out rule, although they mainly kept to themselves. Waiting in the lobby for a Downtown Tour (where the tour guide never showed up..) proved fruitful because there I met the people that I would explore NY with for the next few days.
The bathroom is clean and looks brand new, the sheets/towels are fresh and the lockers are standard-sized (just don't forget to bring your own lock!) The hostel is very close to the subway station however the commute into downtown takes a decent amount of time.
Overall I had a pretty great experience at HI and I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

this hostel always has activities and tours every day, which are a fantastic way to meet people. The staff were always super helpful and friendly. I had the best time here, and the free breakfasts were an awesome bonus!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great location, great value for money, had lovely refurbished bathroom facilities, friendly staff. Would definitely stay again. 2 minutes walk to the nearest tube station with local cafes and fast food restaurants near by.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fern G
Georgia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I came here on business on the Upper East side and simply could not justify the $250+ a night in a hotel in the area. I had stayed at HI on a personal trip before, and came back here. I was booked into a 6 person "premium" room, and when I checked in they put me in a 4 person room. Everyone was quiet and respectful and no one complained that I came in at almost 2 am due to a late flight (I had done all I needed to in the bathroom and tiptoed into the room as quietly as I could). With my premium room I got free breakfast, but even if you don't get breakfast free, the cafe downstairs has excellent cheap coffee and basic pasteries. Clean. Friendly staff.

Oh, and I was able to get to the Upper East Side via the 86 st crosstown bus and the subway for $2.25 and about 15 min. My boss is going to love my expense report.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

The hostel itself is very clean. It's a great way to meet people if you're traveling alone as the place is very busy! They have certain times where it has to be quiet (in respect of other travelers), organizes any tourist areas you want to visit and really friendly staff. The location isn't the best unless you're interested in going to central park often. Recommend

• Stayed June 2012
Malaysia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights at HI NY in a 12 bedroom dorm. For the value of the bed, I was greeted with great hospitality, clean room and bathroom, spacious compartment to store my belongings and my favourite aspect of the stay - very friendly roommates! I was in NY for an attachment, and so I was alone - so I was worried that I will remain that way for the rest of my stay. Turned out I meet this really nice girl whom I toured with everyday after my attachment hours, and I am still super glad up to this day that I met her in HI.
Very easily accessible from the 103st Metro station, less than 5 minutes walk. I tried the Central Park way to my attachment place, got a little bit lost but still enchanted by how vast Central Park is (till now)! This is a good place to meet new people, if you are alone. But also a very good place if you're travelling with friends, with all the facilities. Great kitchen, outdoor patio and TV room! A very social place; but if you decided to just stay in the room with your computer, this place also works.
Unmissable place, in my opinion for an affordable shared accommodation in New York!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo