“Poor Service”

Ranked #193 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Poor Service”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

If I could give a NEGATIVE star, I absolute would! The service here is rude and unacceptable.

1. They do NOT allow you to keep your room key, seriously? What kind of hotel does that..

2. Every guest has to be registered, to even ACCESS THE ROOM, my friend got a room here, and I wasn't even planning on staying the night, I was just going to charge my cell phone, the manager wanted me stay in the lobby, Is this serious.

As a background, I went with my friend when she checked into her room. (I wasn't planning on staying the night). We stayed in her room for about 30 mins, then left when our other friend arrived. We were going to a convention together.

After the convention, I went with one of the girls whose name was registered to the room to charge my phone. The manager would NOT let me in the room? My friend who booked the room called to talk to him, they ended up arguing, and he hung up on her.

3. Then, he decides to kick us out? do not stay here, not worth the hassle!!

IN SHORT - DO NOT STAY HERE

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank stefnani
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I regret that your stay at the Seton Hotel was not to your liking. However I would like to better explain our policies. Our key system: We have found that most of our guests are quite comfortable with the procedure. We are a very small hotel and it actually allows us to provide excellent security making sure our guests are safe. It is not clear that you actually stayed at the hotel as you stated you just went up to charge your phone.

We do have rather stringent rules regarding registering guests but again this is really only for the purpose of maintaining the highest and best security for our guests. Many of these procedures came about after 9/11.

To the best of my knowledge no one was "kicked out" of the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Raynham, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Great little hotel close to just about everything: Walk to Empire State bldg, Rock Center, Times Square, shopping; 24hr CVS 1 block over. Comfortable beds, clean and updated rooms. Concierge was friendly and helpful. Some rooms have a shared bathroom. Just know to look for that. (I got one with a private bath.) I would come back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed May 23, 2014

This and the key policy are the only major drawbacks which you shouldn't endure if you can find better accommodations around the same price.

On the plus side:

The hotel is clean and the staff is nice.

The location is great, especially on the weekends, if you want a quiet atmosphere that's right near Times Square.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights in the Seton hotel NY. Very friendly helpful staff. Clean rooms very modern but comfortable decor. Plenty of really soft pillows. Best sleep ever in a busy city!! 2 great real American diners nearby for fantastic Breakfast. Scottie's was our favorite.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Aoifed1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I was there with a companion for only one night, personally I thought though our room was tiny and the bathrooms (very new, very clean at all times I might add) were all the way across the hall, the pluses in my opinion were: it was very clean, coffee was good downstairs in the lounge, clean towels, slippers, hairdryer and robe were abundant, the hotel staff was helpful and courteous, and most important the price was right.. However my companion was not happy about the size of the room, he complained about the shared bathroom, complained about the fact we had to give the keys back to front desk every time we left the hotel's building. So really, it all depends how you see things. If you are an open minded person, by all means this hotel is alright. If you're not up to being chill or adventurous, probably not....

Room Tip: get one closer to the bathrooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank caroline y
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We booked 9 nights with the Seton Hotel using Expedia about 6 months before the date of the trip. Naturally, we were anxious about the shared bathroom and I read a heck of a lot of these reviews. On this issue - don't worry about it. Across 9 nights the bathroom was free nearly every time we went to use (only once was it busy, I just went across the hall and used another). They were kept very clean and if it weren't down the hall, you'd think it was your own. It was a bit of a pain to throw something on each time you wanted to pee in the middle of the night but this doesn't seem a big deal overall.

The hotel has a fantastic location, a 2-3 minute walk to Grand Central Terminal (and therefore access to the Subway) with some gorgeous views of the Crystler Building on your way. I cannot stress stress how great the location is enough. For us, this is the main benefit to staying at the Seton Hotel.

The hotel has a somewhat Art Decor theme which looks pretty nice! However, on booking and viewing photos it's clear some rooms are better than others. I e-mailed the manager Leena and politely asked for a room that was in one of their pictures. Leena was very quik with her response and after some initial confusion (she thought I was asking for a free upgrade) she guaranteed the particular room for us. My partner was very pleased as this room looked especially nice and she loves that kind of design. Upon arrival we were put into the wrong room, it was certainly one of their more basic rooms and just isn't what we wanted. I went downstairs to query this, the gentleman at the desk was confused as he was confident we can't ever be guaranteed a room. I wasn't until I showed him the e-mails on my phone that he went to question it. This was also frustrating because I could hear him talking to the manager, forced to play piggy in the middle. If she'd simply walked up to the desk we could have resolved it very quickly. Eventually we were told we could have that room starting the next day, we were not offered any compensation or apology. The next day we were in the right room. The Air Conditioning was extremely loud, much louder than the old room we'd been in and the TV was stuck on demo mode (it would cycle through its features every 5 minutes). I asked them to have a look at it, the lady at the desk actually snapped at us and said "You're not meant to switch them on, they're not on". We said we hadn't been told this and felt rather told off. The next day we were told by two members of staff our "complaint" had been dealt with, but the air con was still really loud, I didn't want the fuss over going down again and I felt too embarrassed to then ask them to look at the TV. We just put up with both issues for the next 8 nights.

The room did look nice though. The side table was so light that opening the door would cause it to topple but apart from previous issues it was nice.

Service was mainly ok (besides the telling off!) like all places some members of staff were better than others (Emanuel is a credit to the establishment!). Cleaning was done each day and done well, they even folded my jeans the day I left them out! On a couple of occasions the staff seemed to hint that our 9 night stay was a little longer than usual and made us feel like we were inconveniencing hem. My partner didn't pick this up but I had more interactions with the staff than her. Personally, I'd look after customer who were staying longer as more could go wrong. One day I was waiting in the lobby and a grumpy lady was complaining about something for no good reason, the guy at the desk put her on a "preferred guest list" from now on. Where was our preferred status? We gave them a heck of a lot of business.

There is a very small elevator that takes far too long to get to you and doesn't comfortably fit more than three people. But this was really more of an annoyance than anything.

The rooms were small, but this was made clear to us when we booked. The beds were tiny though, at 6'3 my feet hung off the end of the bed. The pillows were very small but too thick to stack them up.

Looking back, I'd recommend Seton for a shorter stay. Fantastic for a weekend trip but maybe not for 9 days. There were rooms available that would offer some extra creature comforts such as the private bathroom but in all fairness to the hotel - this was simply a bit out of my price range.

In short - Fantastic location, nice looking hotel, somewhat hit and miss customer service and they would benefit from better organisation. Go for a short stay.

Room Tip: Room 401 has extremely loud Air Con, not normals despite what they say. Ask to see a photo of a room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mark N
Patna, India
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Nice place for a short visit, very close to UN, service is polite with personal touch, rooms are comfortable, near by eating places serve quality breakfast and lunch. Easily accessible to the
business area

Room Tip: Book in advance, for good rates.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple