Seton Hotel
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$188
$160
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$224
  • Room Service
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$262
$409
$347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$223
$346
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$351
$178
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$263
$98
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsshared bathroomgrand central stationeconomy roomgreat locationnew yorkfree tea and coffeetimes squarevending machinewithin walking distanceprivate bathchrysler buildingshake shackaround the cornerthe ground floorunited nationsempire statedouble room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived in the seton after a 15 hour trip to get here from my home in Scotland for our delayed honeymoon with my now pregnant wife. We arrived to find a warm welcome to the hotel and check in was seamless. Our room is a queen double which has a very modern finish and spotlessly clean. Good sized flat screen TV, iPhone docking station/alarm, decent hair dryer and cold air con. What more can you want from a room at this value. Any complaints I have read prev about room size, ac or the lift etc ate just nit picking and these people prob just moan about everything. For god sake you are in the heart of NYC in a old building returbed to a high modern spec which had also managed to retain original Art Deco features. I have stayed in 5 star hotel and pound for pound or should I say dollar for dollar I'm delighted with our choice of hotel. Getting ready to start my first ever day in NYC and I will be sure to update with my findings at the end of my trip. Room 211

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank Mark D
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at the Seton Hotel for three nights in an economy double room.
Check in was very friendly and we got a room on the sixth floor.
The room was quite small, but came with a nice decor and had two windows. There´s air conditioning, TV, phone and everything you´d expect from a hotel room.

I´ve never booked a hotel room with shared bathroom before, but it turned out to be no problem at all. The hotel made it easy: there was a sink, towels and hair dryer in our room and they also provide a bathrobe and slippers. The bathroom was always very clean and shampoo, shower gel and paper towels were always well stocked.

The Seton is a quite small hotel. They have a lobby lounge with TV and comfy sofas.
There´s also complimentary coffee and tea, an ice machine and a vending machine.
We really enjoyed this!

Location of the hotel was also great, just about 8 mins walk from Grand Central Station.
We used the cheapest option of airport transfer: Air Train to Jamaica ($5) and then we took the subay: E train to Court Square and then 7 train to Grand Central ($2.50)

i´d definitely book the Seton again. The staff was always helpful and competent. They made sure we had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Badlydrawngirl
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you are looking for a lot of frills and extras, don't stay here (though - there is free wifi, which always surprises me more hotels don't offer). If you want to stay at a nice, clean, cute hotel - this is worth a try and at a reasonable price for NYC. Everyone we saw at the front desk was very friendly. The room was great! The Deluxe King room we stayed in was decent sized and comparable to other hotels I've stayed at. Clean and comfortable - they did a decent job with the renovation. Great location! Easy walk to Grand Central and Bryant park and more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ARD1980
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great location, very nice service, the best place to stay in Manhattan! Everything is close by, plenty of restaurants around, but it's a very quiet place. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the bathroom was very nice and everything was clean. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bobby R
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staying at a boutique hotel in NYC generally means a few things: services (room service, etc) may be limited, rooms and baths will be smaller, and not everything will be crisp and modern. What the newer boutiques have tried to do is upscale the look of their rooms so that you might look past the tiny bath or sleeping area, and it can work depending on the hotel.

The Seton falls very much into this category. The front desk staff seemed friendly and helpful. I didn't see any bell staff, but I just had a carry-on so maybe I wasn't looking that hard for one. The lobby was small as you would expect, but there was a nice sitting lounge off the lobby which can be unusual for a hotel of this size. There was no place to have breakfast, so none was served, but there was small room that served coffee and tea and provided a vending machine for snacks. Again, this is pretty typical for a boutique hotel.

The elevator was small, and moved slowly, enough for a short conversation as you moved up the full six floors of the building. They need to freshen it up a bit. The door slides open and you push an outer door to exit, and those outer doors could use a fresh paint job. No big deal. The room I had was a "suite", but you might be better off just getting a regular room as that adjoining room with the desk and couch was small, and I really didn't use it. They dressed up the room with color and modern furniture. Mine had red walls and a modern tufted headboard.

The best thing about the room? The bath--refurbished with a nice, roomy step-in glass shower. The bathroom was small but tastefully tiled out so that you felt like you were in more than just your average hotel. The worst thing about the room? No matter how much one might try to refurbish a hotel in an old building, things like air conditioning will present a problem in NYC. Old buildings tend to have window air conditioners as their only answer to the heat as these buildings were built before central air became the norm, or they simply decided not to put central air in. What I had were two air conditioners--one in the sitting area and one in the sleeping area. The AC's worked fine, but they were old (the one I had looked like it had been there 10-20 years) and they made a lot of noise. If you have sensitive hearing, these are going to drive you crazy if you're a light sleeper. You'd be better off therefore staying here during cooler weather, not in the middle of July or August.

If you want to be around Grand Central Terminal, this would be a hotel to consider. No hotel in NYC is cheap, and my room, as small as it was, cost me over $300 a night. No real amenities, outdated elevators and AC's, but a good location, a freshened up room and bath helps. This is New York, and you have to learn to live with less during certain times of the year. If budget is a concern, and you know you will be staying in a boutique hotel, it probably pays to check around for the best deal, since at a certain price level, there isn't that much that distinguishes one from another.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator. It is small and it is slow. So if you're one of these people that hate waiting for elevators, I'd suggest a room on a lower floor so that you can walk up to your room or down to the lobby without having to depend on the elvator.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EvenlyOpinionated
leslee60, Owner at Seton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Opinionated:
It is always a pleasure to hear from a guest who is as knowledgable and detail oriented as you are. Keeping your review in mind I felt the need to explain just a few minor details.

10-20 year old air conditioners - heaven forbid! There is no A/C unit in the building that is more than 3 years old. We researched consumer reports in order to find the quietest new ones on the market. As you stated older buildings (ours dates back to 1931) rarely have central air but newer buildings NEVER have 11 foot ceilings like we do.

The elevator (again vintage1931) - We do need to re-paint the interior doors and it is definitly on our radar. (It's all the luggage going in and out that scratches the doors.) The problem lies in the fact that we need to put the elevator out of service in order to do the work which would inconvenience out guests. We are trying to schedule this during a quiet period in order to have as few interuptions as possible.