“Just needed a place to sleep.”
Review of The Milburn Hotel

The Milburn Hotel
Ranked #185 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The desk staff was very accommodating and efficient. My husband and I only spent two nights in a studio room with small kitchen which we didn't need. The room was large and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was tiny but serviceable. Having breakfast early (6:30 A.M.) was perfect for us. VERY convenient upper west side location.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My two daughters, ages 11 and 14, and I stayed at the Milburn for four nights, August 9-12. I love the upper west side, and the Milburn's in the perfect location: residential feel and close to the subway, restaurants, and markets. The hotel has been recently renovated and we were pleased with our room's décor. The lobby, too, was welcoming and quite charming with a turn of the century look.

Our king room was $209 plus tax per night with a rollaway bed at no extra charge. Both beds were very comfortable. The room was spacious with plenty of room to walk around without bumping into each other. There were a closet, dresser, table with chairs, and an easy chair with ottoman, too. The kitchenette came in very handy and was just off the entryway into the room. The bathroom was well-designed and didn't feel crowded at all.

We needed the help of maintenance once, but he arrived very quickly and fixed the problem in no time.

Breakfast was free and had a nice variety of cereals, breads, and fresh fruit. We also happened to hit it at the right time: waffles on the weekend! (Get there before the batter runs out though, which is usually by 9:30. Breakfast is until 10:00.)

Whether on the phone or in person, each staff member was helpful and friendly.

If I could improve one thing, I would up the power of the AC a bit. We were there in August, and occasionally, the room felt stuffy and took too long to cool off.

Overall, I was very pleased with the Milburn and would recommend it. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on a higher floor in a corner room: great view and plenty of light.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I understand why people like this hotel, but it won't be my first choice next time.

First, the pros: Outstanding and safe upper west side location, reasonable price, suites for family travel (I was staying by myself on business), friendly staff, breakfast, nice TVs in room, newer A/C/ system, fairly new furniture, comfy bed & room had a nice view facing quiet area.

The cons: The hotel needs some work. I knew I wasn't paying for a Marriott or Hilton, but why let some things get a little rundown and overshadow what is nice here? Examples: chunk of paint chipped off my windowsill, dingy hallways, cut-out in sheetrock of hallway ceiling that was never patched, wallpaper by door in my room that was soiled and needs to be replaced, carpet fraying by bathroom (which, while clean, needed updating and replacement of cracked tiles). This hotel has potential to be fantastic with some modest handyman work.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back (although I don't think any room would be too noisy).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pugmeister2011
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here 4 nights with my family in June 2013. The hotel is nice, the room (Family suite) spacious and good quality. The hotel is Places on 76th strret a bit long walk to city center but doable. Easy acces to subway. A great walk by the river with severeal play grounds that the kids loved.

Thw breakfast was a dissapointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jakobharder
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I travel to NYC about every six weeks on average - my children and grand children live on the Upper West Side. I have tried about ten hotels in the area and The Milburn is definitely one of the better ones in its class.

Very comfortable and quiet room - although the bathroom was tiny. Staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The location is terrific - close to two subway stations - 79th/B'Way and 72nd/B'Way. Three of the best markets in the States (yes!!) close by - Fairway, Zabars and WestSide. Trader Joes about four blocks south on Broadway - and a short distance from Riverside Park.

Would I return - if they fix the shower heads and give me a larger bathroom (and keep the rates competitive) it's my number one choice.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a larger bathroom - the standard bathroom is too small.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A fantastic gem of a hotel in a genteel part of New York. Walking distance to museums, Central Park, subway etc. Great size to the rooms, a bargain for New York. Continental breakfast included in the room price, all room have their own small kitchenette facilities.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 7, 2013

the hotel's location is fantastic- a short 4 block walk down a tree lined street from subway to hotel. Lots of small eateries and shops in the area. I read some past reviews and really dont understand how we were in the same hotel. Our room was pretty, clean and a had a very comfortable bed ( I am usually unhappy with the typical soft hotel bed). The kitchen area is tiny but it was fine for us-microwave, fridge, sink/counter area is all we needed. I wasn't in NYC to cook gourmet meals so having somewhere to make a cup of coffee and store some drinks and snacks was a great bonus. Continental Breakfast was included- fresh waffles, bagel, pastries, cereal and fruits etc- worked for us. I would highly recommend the hotel and certainly plan on returning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple