“Better than we expected!”
Review of The Milburn Hotel

The Milburn Hotel
Ranked #197 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Better than we expected!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Recently my husband and I spent a weekend in NYC with another couple. We hadn't stayed in the Milburn for awhile and after reading some reviews were afraid that this place was starting to go downhill. Much to our pleasant surprise, this visit far exceeded expectations! We stayed in a Superior Queen suite on the 13th floor and not only was it obvious that renovations have taken place, but it was huge! Everything looks as though it's been recently replaced (furniture, carpet, bedding, etc.) or renovated--the bathroom certainly underwent remodeling within the past year or so with all new fixtures, tile work, paintwork, etc.

A new feature for us was the "continental" style breakfast served in a small dining room off the main lobby. It was pretty generous--a staff member was cooking waffles to order--along with the usual pastries, juices, cold cereal, coffee, tea. The manager allowed us to check in early when we arrived and the next morning the front desk held our luggage for us after check-out so that we could do some more shopping, etc. The staff is friendly and helpful and in fact, when I called to reserve, was given a discounted rate, although this doesn't appear when you reserve online.

All in all, the rates are pretty modest for NYC, the convenient, quiet location is a plus, and there is lots to see and do in this Upper West Side neighborhood. Only a short cab/subway ride brings you down to the theater district and all the attractions of the city. We'll definitely be back the next time we plan a stay in the city.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an upper floor room, away from the elevator if you want a quiet night's sle...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
London, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I can't imagine a better place to stay in New York. Our rooms have been very comfortable, and a suite is a very good deal since it holds 3-4 people, with kitchenette. Sometimes one is lucky enough to have a balcony. The staff are very cordial and interesting people, and the neighbourhood is the best. Everyone to whom I have recommended the Milburn has had a similarly excellent experience.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and talk it over with the person on the phone, who I think will try hard to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed with my family for my sister's graduation, and it was a terrific location for moving about New York city. The room was quite large and everything met normal hotel standards otherwise. There was nothing too spectacular about our stay, but it got the job done. Thanks!

1 Thank Kyle H
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Milburn is in a good location just off Broadway and close to the subway. There are supermarkets and restaurants in the vicinity.
The hotel is a little dated but clean and comfortable with extra room facilities such as a kitchenette. The breakfast was adequate although the breakfast room was rather small. For New York the price was competitive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank law26
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here based on trip advisor reviews. I understand some of the ratings but not others. Overall I would say it was a confusing experience. The lobby is a little bit like going to see The Wizard. The outside is seemingly impressive but don't look behind any of the closed doors. Our room was in such disrepair that I was too shocked to say anything. Peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, black stains on the ceiling from the heat of the lights (?), chipped tile in the bathroom, dirty or stained grout, every single corner of the carpet was caked with dust, and the air conditioning required written instructions that we had to find for ourselves. Additional issues can only be categorized as strange. The hotel room door was not self closing so it kept getting left open. The facility states that it has laundry facilities available. Upon arriving we discovered that the washers could only be used after 5:00 because they are used by housekeeping. At first we thought that this would be an acceptable compromise as we mistakenly believed that this meant it would be inexpensive. My husband and I took two loads of laundry to the basement. Upon stepping off the elevator we were shocked to see that the staff were walking across planks that covered huge holes in the flooring. When we reached the laundry room we were astounded to discover that one load of laundry was going to cost $13.00. I am not sure who owns this property but they should be ashamed to have their staff work in this environment. So now we get to the hard part. The neighborhood is absolutely adorable. Within one block we had coffee, restaurants, and grocery stores. The subway is three or four blocks away and we felt completely safe going back and forth. The location is the reason is I am giving this hotel two stars.

1 Thank Melissa F
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I haven't even got to the hotel yet but the reservation gentleman (Josef) has been so helpful. He took time to check my booking when I rang to make it, and today when I rang to check a couple of details against my reservation I spoke to him again! Josef recalled my first call and again could not have been more helpful. This is looking good Milburn Hotel.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Room was clean, staff were friendly and helpful without being obtrusive. Price was good for NY, close to subways. Quiet neighborhood with many outstanding restaurants and stores/markets close by. There was utility work on the street in front of the hotel complete with jackhammers, but we never heard it until we went outside. All in all, an outstanding value for a New York hotel.