“Shabby Chic FAB location”

Incentra Village House
Ranked #15 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Shabby Chic FAB location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

Stayed at Incentra Village at the end of March for 2 nights. Loved the main house, beautifully furnished with some fascinating artwork. Friendly owner, We stayed next door (up a narrow & steep flight of stairs) 'The Washington' room which had a very comfortable, large double bed, small kitchen & bathroom with a ladder onto a mezanine with a further bed. The room was exceptionally clean throughout, with a good shower, the decor is dated but it didn't matter because it was very clean. AMAZING location, Meat Packing / Greenwich Village - loved it. Really good fair trade coffee shop round the corner. I would recommend this guest house for younger people who are looking for cheap & cheerful accommodation in an excellent location. The stairs might be difficult for older people

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — windows difficult to open and close
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sandra T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2007

I'm from Greenwich Village in New York and I recently brought my mother in law and a family friend of hers to New York from Italy for the first time. It was their first time in the United States and my husband and I stayed 2 blocks nearby with my mother. My mother passes the Incentra on her way to work each morning and picked up a brochure for me. We were looking primarily for something close to my mom's apartment since each morning we would be picking them up to take them around New York. The photos made it seem to be the perfect place for them: location wise, cost wise and size/ammenties wise. (Since they were staying for a week it was extra handy that they had a little kitchen as well.)

Initially the only room available (I booked only a month ahead of time) was the Castelwood room. While the bed was a bit small for two people - I booked it primarily because of the location. Beware that the photos must have been taken after a restoration years ago. We were taken into the Castelwood room which is not in a "modern building next door" as they decribed it but just a basic brick apartment building next door. After fiddling with the locks we arrived in the room and unfortunately the pictures were not similar to the condition of the room. It appeared to have not been maintained. The windows were dirty as were the shades and the kitchen and bathroom were old and their overall 'condition' at first impact were not particularly welcoming. Paint was chipping off and the overall condition was a bit grimy.

While they were getting settled the reception called to say that they had indeed a larger room available with two beds (which I requested if one opened up) and so we moved them to the Tabor room. In comparison to the Castelwood which was right on the ground floor with the windows on the street this was a happy surprise... it was on the 3rd floor (a very steep walkup staircase) and had two beds and a 'newer' kitchen and facilities in general. I found it odd the the prices for all of these rooms were the same.

This would've fine until the next day when someone from the hotel approached me on the street in front of the building to ask me if I was with the people in that room (they didn't speak English.) He explained to me that the room was available only until Wednesday and after Wednesday the only availability was the small ground floor Castelwood room. And furthermore that (this was Monday) they would maintain the 3 day cancellation policy if I wanted to move them on Wednesday. So I had to run around to find another accomodation for them right away.

So in a nutshell after Wednesday I moved them to the Chelsea Savoy hotel on 23rd and 7th Avenue. For the same 190 Dollars a night they got a nice big clean room with two queen beds and while it didn't have the charm of being in Greenwich Village it was a fine alternative.

I would say overall if you are a young couple or two friends looking for location - and and just want to be in the Village and don't care too much about the condition of your room then go ahead. It would have been fine for me and my husband and I'd reccomend it to any young couples who are on a budget and going to NY. But for my mother in law and her friend on their first trip to the US ... who I wanted to make sure were comfortable and 'impressed' I was fairly disappointed. If you have difficulty doing stairs make sure that you understand what floor your room is on because the staircases are tiny and steep.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

• Liked — The location is the best feature of this apartment
  • Disliked — The quality and maintenance of the rooms. Room service is sporadic and they never actually came on during the hours they indicated.
  • Stayed March 2007
6 Thank liveinItaly
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

The problem with this place is its lack of warmth; the staff are absent or cold or rude. The parlor is never used; it's more like a theater set rather than a spot to hang out. Be sure you're able to haul your luggage up a tall, cramped staircase. The reservation procedure is quirky/unnerving; I had to work hard to get a confirmation. We were two heterosexual women, and I had the feeling the staff's coldness possibly related to their homosexually-centric orientation? We'll never know. But the location is wonderful. Especially for chocolate lovers; Li-Lac is a block away, and The Chocolate Bar is very close. Lots of breakfast options as well. It's a busy traffic street, but the sidewalks feel like a strictly homey residential corner of the Village, not full of tourists.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LA-Traveler19
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

The Incentra Village House was recommended to me by another B&B owner in the village. I stayed there three nights with my daughter. The staff could not have been nicer. We were supplied with a new air-conditioning unit when we complained that our apartment wasn't cool enough to our satisfaction. When we had questions regarding subway lines and other touristy type queries, they were handled with complete clarity. I found the Incentra Village to be the perfect spot for discovering Greenwich Village. This is the first time I stayed in the village after many trips to New York. Despite the weather, it was the most charming accommodation one could ask for. I would definately stay there again.
Roseanne Goergen
Omaha, NE

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2006

Agree with other reviews that you get what you pay for - in this case a simply furnished, functional room that was "top-line" clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location is great and the La Bonnbonniere next door does a great breakfast. I would recommend this more for friends than for couples.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank MonikaB
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

I have stayed at the Incentra several times. Recently, I am not sure what has happened, but they have turned rude and have treated me unfairly. There are other choices in the price range that I would recomend like the new Four Points Sheraton in Chelsea. At least they treat the customers with respect.

Stayed January 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2005

My best friend and i stayed at the Incentra for 5 nights, and loved every minute of our stay.
The staff were so friendly towards us and made us feel really welcome. Our room, the Tabor was gorgeous, as are all the rooms. It had a real homey, rustic feel, and every evening after a tough days shopping we came back to find it clean, fresh and tidy.
The location of Incentra couldn't have been more perfect. A stones throw from the trendy 'Meatpacking District', and right in the centre of Greenwich Village which was fantastic for wandering about the beautiful tree lined streets. Bars, cafes, shops and individual restaurants were right on the doorstep. Make sure you spend an evening across the street at the Gioia Italian restaurant...yummy. It really did feel like a home away from home. Loved it, we'll be back soon......

• Stayed November 2005