“Right in the middle of everything”

Incentra Village Hotel
Ranked #15 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We chose Incentra based on multiple recommendations from various friends, so it certainly had raised high expectations.

It's a couple of minutes walk from a subway station, so we didn't have trouble bringing our bags, but after shopping in NYC for a few days it wasn't quite so easy in the other direction!

We were in the Washington room, which has a double bed and a double futon in the sleeping loft - good for friends or family staying together. The bed was pretty comfortable, but I drew the short straw and had the futon in the loft, which was very firm, and had started to get quite thin in the middle. My back was a bit twingy after a few days of this, but for kids this would be ideal. You wouldn't want to be too tall up there either - sitting up meant your head brushes the ceiling and your feet might stick out off the edge if you move when you sleep!

The room comes with a kitchenette - sink, mini fridge, microwave (not a great one, but it works), toaster, kettle, dishes and cutlery etc which makes it so much easier to self-cater occasionally! We stocked up on delicious food at the Whole Foods two subway stops away, or there's a smaller supermarket just up on 14th st.

The steps to get from the street to the room are very steep and narrow, so this wouldn't be a great place for anyone with mobility issues. The decor is a bit dated, but charming, and the bathroom was small, but had everything you need. Our room was just above street level, so we had to keep the curtains closed most of the time so people couldn't easily see in, but we didn't mind.

We didn't see the staff very often, but when we did they were cheerful and pleasant, and they allowed us to leave our (large!) cases in their lounge after we checked out, as well as holding a couple of packages for me until we arrived.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Liz G

Reviewed April 25, 2013

On a recent visit to NYC my sister reserved a room at this inn for our visit. We stayed in the Washington Room, and loved it. The room was great for the three of us, with two sharing the bed, and one in the loft we each were comfortable. There is a sink, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave and dishes all available. The best about this site was that we were in more of a local populated area, surrounded by everything the city has to offer!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Denise W
Reviewed January 2, 2013

4 of us stayed at Incentra arriving late on Xmas night and leaving New years day - we stayed in the Garden Room and the Gaylord room. For the price and the location it was super value and it gave us a warm, clean, safe place to stay during our weeks holiday.

Staff were helpful when needed, rooms serviced daily and linen and towels changed when requested. Breakfast at the cafe next door was a daily treat (La Bonbonniere) and we spent many a happy night at the friendly cubbyhole bar... we got freee drinks and food for our frequent use (!).

The subway was a 5 minute walk and then central Manhatten was within a short journey from Incentra. My friends and I had a great holiday and Incentra was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back might be quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank lukeyboy65
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My last NY accomodations were so satisfactory (I stayed at the Abingdon guest House in the west village) I thought it couldn't be equalled but I had a recent experience (5 days) at a guest house across the street - the Incentra Village House - which was terrific. I had a lovely room (the India Room) which was attractive and very clean. I am a high maintenance guest and was delighted to find a fan, a heater and a kitchen space which included a sink and refrigerator. A young man called Vincent insisted on carrying my suitcase upstairs for me and wouldn't take a tip. The windows all opened and when I commented that my cover (a down comforter) was too warm, I was given a quilt and a blanket which was perfect. The cost was less than $200 a day which included all taxes and extra charges. I think this is extraordinary for New York. I heartily recommend this guest house. As an extra bonus, every person on duty is extremely cordial and hellpful. Phyllis Magida

Room Tip: I loved the India room at the top of the stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank readlaughwalk
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Incentra Village for 4 nights at the end of September 2012. The location is ideal as it's a right near the many shops and restaurants along Bleeker Street and there is a subway station a short walk away. We also recommend going to the nearby Chelsea Market!!

We stayed in the Dakota room which was of good size with an en suite bathroom and small kitchen area with a fridge and microwave. The only complaint is that the bed is small double and the air con unit is noisy. The room was clean and maid service was provided daily. All the staff were very friendly and even arranged a taxi for us to go to the airport at really good rate!

When we go back to New York we will seriously consider staying at The Incentra Village again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I used to live in NY in the west village before moving to Montreal. We were trying to get a hotel in NY that week but we could not ding anything reasonably priced. I found this place here and I email them and got a response right away. Very nice and big rooms, old but very clean. I could remind those days I used to live in that wonderful neighborhood. Staff was really friendly. I definitely recommend this place for anyone going to NY. Perfect location!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Marcela A
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Second visit to New York and really enjoyed stay here. Location is fantastic, staff amazing and accommodation has character and very homely. Lots to do in surrounding area, which is not overly busy like times square, however if you really want to torture yourself in times square only $10 in taxi. The area is much more tranquil right at the top of bleaker street, surrounded by great bars, quirky shops and good restaurants and diners. This is a much better option than a 4 or 5 star hotel, it's cosy and welcoming and staff go out of their way to help. Will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends