All reviewssingle roomnew yorkthe empire state buildingtimes squarebudget hotelgreat locationbryant parkplace to sleeprooms are smallshared bathherald squarelight sleeperfresh towelspenn stationcentral locationcleaning stafffew blocks
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We booked the Americana as a last resort due to planning our trip at short notice. This Hotel is in Mid-town which is a decent neighbourhood in manhattan making it easy to access the other parts of the city. The hotel is about 3-5 blocks from the subway depending on which subway station you choose.

Also, another note worthy thing that is not mentioned anywhere is that people live in this hotel. We had no creepy or weird experiences with the residents of this building but having residents in the same building as a hotel is something worth mentioning so people booking it are at least aware.

The rooms are waaaaay smaller than the Pod Hotel which is a comparative price in the same neighborhood. The room is just barely big enough to fit the double bed in the room, a tiny dresser that you couldn't use if you wanted to due to it's proximity to the bed (to close to open the drawers). There is also a closet and small sink in the room. However, there is no mirror in the room making it difficult to apply makeup, or do your hair without going into the somewhat dirty shared bathrooms. The room could not have been bigger than 75 or 80 square feet. It was very difficult for two people to sleep and get ready in this room for two days.

The bathrooms were not the worst shared bathrooms i have ever seen but they were not clean. There was other peoples hair all over them. There was also nothing to dry your hands on after washing them.

The linens on the bed were clean enough to sleep on without fear and we did not see or feel any bedbugs so that was a plus, i guess.

There is no wifi.

The man working the front desk was flat out rude. the entire time. I'm not sure if he works there constantly or lives there or something but we only saw him from the time we checked in to the time we checked out and it took some special attempts just to get him to look up at us to ask a basic question. He was sullen, rude and made absolutely no attempt to be friendly or helpful or even remotely civil.

In short if you are looking for a budget friendly option in midtown choose something else this hotel sucks.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I took my boyfriend on an affordable trip to NYC for his birthday. I found the state of our room at the Americana Inn to be filthy and DISGUSTING. Upon entering our room, we were horrified to see that they did not run any type of air conditioning or ventilation, and felt our room was musty and uncomfortable. Affordable or not, we were not the slightest pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel. After our short visit, we left feeling disappointed. On our way home that same day, my boyfriend realized he had contracted some sort of rash- all over his body. Thankfully- I did not have any signs of the rash- but I had decided to wear more attire to bed than he had. Unfortunately for him, the rash was all over his body.
We were disgusted and mortified at this discovery. We thought out our trip and realized with no air conditioning and a damp and warm room, mixed with poor housecleaning, he had contracted RING WORM. He is currently at the doctors, and I have already made two phone calls to the manager without any type of reassurance or compensation for our troubles. I am completely disgusted and angry at this hotel and their non hospitality. This is lawsuit material and I would discourage anyone from staying at the Americana Inn in NYC.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed here for three nights and was very happy with my choice. The room was basic, but comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were very clean also. The location was excellent and the staff were fine. The hotel was also very quiet.

If I ever make to NYC again I will seriously consider booking again.

Si, Wales, UK

Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I had extended a business trip by one night and was previously staying at The Hyatt, so it was with trepidation that I approached the Americana Inn. I buzzed the buzzer, and went up the stairs to check in. the guy at reception was very friendly and helpful.

The place was like some of the better hostels you see in Europe; the room was sparse but clean. With a decent bed, air conditioning, a TV and sink. When I entered the room, it had just been cleaned so it smelled of disinfectant ... this though didn't go away the whole night (but i would rather have this than cigarette smoke or stale air!)

Every floor had around 4 restrooms with showers, and these were spotless. It was also incredibly quiet, no late night door banging.

The location was great, round the corner from Macys, the Empire State building and Time Square. I will definitely stay there again

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2009

One thing you have got to give the Americana is that you will be hard pressed to find a better located hotel for the price in New York. As far as location goes, you are in the middle of Manhattan. IF you are looking for a clean, simple hotel, this is for you. The shared bathrooms are interesting concepts, each bathroom services about 4-5 rooms, that said I never had to wait to use it in the 5 nights we were here. The hotel is noisy, well the traffic noise is anyway. The rooms that face the road, some have air conditioning but most don’t, being an old building, it gets very hot at night so if you want to sleep, pack ear plugs and get the good ones. Other than that for location it is brilliant for all the New York sights you may want to see on a budget. There is a great deli diagonally across the road and the little Chinese place next door to the deli has the biggest serves of food you are likely to see. The General Tsao’s chicken is worth a visit on its own. Word from the wise, the meal is enough, not starters required, my wife seems to think the meals are big enough to share but you can make your own assessment on that, I am not a great sharer

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple