“Hotel? Hostel?”

Ranked #375 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Hotel? Hostel?”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

What do you call a step down from a hotel and a step up from a hostel? At about $100 a night it is affordable for this area of Manhattan. Great location, small room but clean and convenient.
The listing I saw mentioned shared bathrooms, so there was no surprise. Of course the rooms are tiny, but again this is budget lodging. If you want more comfort, expect to pay true NYC prices; the Marriott around the corner on 6th Ave is twice the price.

Room Tip: Do not take a room immediately next to the bathroom- can be high traffic area, plus the pipes are no...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank LetsGoWithStyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I'll keep this short and sweet... Pay more and stay somewhere else! The rooms have no room to move, stayed in a double room and could barely move between the beds, closet door wouldn't open all the way and while a suitcase rack is nice in the closet, the suitcase wouldn't even fit through the door to get on it... Hear every single sound from the street, and halls... elevator is tiny to say the least, and 3 people with luggage was tight... Desk clerks are not welcoming at all, no friendliness or willing to even acknowledge your presence... Shared bathrooms suck, didn't feel comfortable showering when the lock and door felt weak... rooms are cheap vinyl tiling on the floors that looked old and nasty... Electrical plug hanging out of wall... TV cut out every few minutes and sucked... Beds are hard as rocks. And the linen felt dirty.. I felt uncomfortable the entire time, didn't like leaving anything in the room, didn't take socks off or walk barefoot even in the room... Wireless internet reception is terrible, asked clerk for password and while he did give it to us, he informed us it only worked on the second floor... (We stayed on the 4th floor) Door to street is on a buzzer, but doesn't latch securely and found it open several times upon return... Ring buzzer to enter, but the clerks don't seem to really care who they are buzzing in... Entry way is tight and grungy and it's either up the stairs to front desk, or the frightening and tiny elevator... While we figured, as long as there's a bed, we won't be spending much time in the room and can at least get sleep... Wrong! Between the noise, and uncomfortable feeling, mixed with the feeling of dirt and grime (I felt dirtier every time I stepped foot in the room...) It's a very small step above a hostel or even a bench in the airport...

Spend a little more, and stay somewhere nice... If it's the location you like, pay a little more and stay a little further from time square... You'll be glad you did and appreciate the extra walk... From the moment I stepped in the room, I couldn't wait to go back to the airport and go home... TERRIBLE!!!! I don't even want to give it a 1 star... It doesn't doesn't deserve it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is exactly what it is billed to be. There are shared bathrooms (as they specify), and the rooms are not enormously big. But it's good value for the price. We found it to be very clean, efficiently run and very conveniently located, with views of 6th avenue out of our room. The rooms have basin and running water which is very useful, but the toilet and shower/bath are shared. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, don't book this hotel expecting a highly luxurious and plush city experience. This hotel is down-to-earth, good value, clean and decent.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Shared bathrooms... Yuk. Small dingy rooms with uncomfortable bed... Loud through your window... No hand soap provided in your room basin... Not what we excepted. It's an ok location however don't expect to be able to do any laundry. There is nothing around! And nothing set up in this odd smelling hostel. Went from the Monte Carlo in Vegas to this. Whoa. And even though I knew we weren't staying in luxury, I didn't think it would be this uncomfortable... If I paid only around $300-$500 I would of had luxury! Think about that. Pay a bit more and enjoy your holiday! This place disappointed me... I write this as I lye on the bed needing to go to the shared bathroom. Gross.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank LouellaJo
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed April 20, 2014

As part of my recent vacation in the United States, I stayed for three nights (14th – 17th April) at Americana Inn with my wife.
It took some time for the cab driver to convince us that we had arrived at the hotel – the signage was not too obvious and nothing from the outside will pass the place for a hotel! To be sure we were in the right place, I asked my wife to wait downstairs while I went up the stairs to confirm. Oh yes; I was in the right place and the amiable receptionist was quick to confirm my reservation even as I left to call my wife.
My seemingly disappointment downstairs vanished quickly as I interacted with the receptionist and he showed us to our room. He even volunteered to give us a more spacious room!

The hotel is neat, affordable and centrally located. The location particularly met our expectation. My wife wanted a place from where she could dash out each morning for shopping while I go out for sight-seeing and the location was just perfect for both.
For hotels in its category and in New York (and the choice location), Americana Inn is readily recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sola A
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Value for price excellent. You have a personal safe in your room, the midtown location is close to EVERYTHING on foot or if you're lazy to subways. Theres no wifi above 2nd floor so don't get your hopes up, but there are a thousand hotspots everywhere else. You will get used to the traffic noise if you face 6th avenue.

For a 4 day stay to chill back and visit new york, youve found an affordable and comfortable bed.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Marc L
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My new husband and myself visited New York for the first time and stayed at the Americana inn for 4 nights. We were given room 511. The location is conveniently located a stones throw from the battery park subway station, is less than a 10min walk to Times Square and broadway and less than 5 min walk away from the Empire State Building. The building is secured with a buzz in door and lift access. The cleaners are pretty thorough. The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily. The walls are thick enough not to hear voices in the next room, but not thick enough to block the sound of closing cupboards, shifting of luggage and closing doors. This noise however is nothing compared to the street noise. Being on the top floor, we could still easily hear the taxi beeping and sirens outside and my husband had even commented, is the window open?, when it was very securely closed lol. The additional a/c unit was not working as we required extra warmth in addition to the central heating (we are from Australia where we are used to warm weather ) so we requested for attention to this by phone at night and then in person the following morning. Later that day when we returned, the room was more than warm. The service received was not the most friendly, but was more than satisfactory. We would highly recommend this hotel for its location and if you are not a light sleeper :)

Stayed March 2014