“Worst Ever! Do Not Book This Hotel....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americana Inn

Americana Inn
Ranked #372 of 478 Hotels in New York City
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Worst Ever! Do Not Book This Hotel....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have used CheapoAir, Expedia, Priceline etc. for many years with very positive experiences. This past hotel booking was by far my worst experience to date. The corner location with 3 giant windows overlooking the street, The windows were broken, the blinds over them were broken, the television was broken, there was a hole in the wall next to the air conditioner that went out to the street. The noise was so loud that we did not sleep at all. Also, there was no bathroom in the room which was not in the booking information which would not have been a problem.
I requested another room and was told the hotel was full, which it clearly was not. I felt that because we paid less we were penalized with a room that would never go to a paying guest. That we were given their worst location, truly an unlivable, certainly "unsleepable" situation.

Room Tip: Request that your room not face the street and be on a higher floor. The windows are not sound proof...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank djaffe0660

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Most people choose this hotel for the price; some people then expect luxury. I stayed one night and found it adequate. Everything was very clean. There were plenty of restrooms on my floor so I never had to wait to use the bathroom. In fact, I rarely saw other guests except in the elevator. The window air conditioner in my room only ran on high so it was quite noisy. On the other hand, it blocked out any hallway or street noise so I slept well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Feistygal
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Location is near the bus stop from DC but we had a hard time finding the place. There's construction in-front of the inn and the signage is small. We spent a lot of time at the door step and no one will open it for us even if the receptionist can see us through CCTV. Elevator is small as well as the rooms. There's a common bathroom but there's a sink inside the room and it is closely next to the bed. It is so close that you need to be careful not to hit yourself. If ever I'll visit NY again, I wont stay in this inn again. Its good enough though for budget travelers on an overnight visit to see the Big Apple.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Abby M

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here Thursday-Sunday and the location is awesome being close to Times Square but everything else is below average. The room was hot even with an window air conditioner. We asked for a fan for two nights in a row and said they didn't have one. The next day we came in from a hot day and asked for a fan and was told they would check. We got into our room and found maids have came in and turned off our window unit even after we had our card outside to not enter we called down to complain and a fan was brought right up. If you have the chance to stay elsewhere I would.

• Stayed July 2013
Omsk, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

What is really good in this hotel is location: many sightseeings are at a walking distance.
But when it comes to the place itself... Well, the room is too small, from my point of view. However, I would mention that it is very clean and nice there, there are enough bathrooms on the floor. One more - there is no REAL kitchen, unless you believe that a kitchen includes a tiny fridge and sink with no oven or microwave whatsoever.
Yet another problem is wi-fi.. They don't have any wi-fi at all, and you have to use the desktop at the reception with payable Internet...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anastasia K
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Expectations: this is not a 5 star hotel, so if that is what you are expecting, stay away!!! That being said, I would highly recommend this hotel and stay there again. We were looking for a clean place and good location and the Americana Inn met both of these with flying colors. The rooms were small and dated, but always cleaned, nothing turned up missing, and the staff were more than willing to help with whatever we needed. I was worried about the shared bathrooms, but like the other reviews stated, the were never crowded, always clean. We were in NYC during a heat wave, so the a/c unit had trouble keeping up during the day but was comfortable enough while sleeping. Our room was on the corner of 38th and 6 ave, so yes it was loud from 7am until 12am. If you are going to NYC to sleep or hang out in your room during these times save your money and stay home. If you are reading this and are like me, someone who is worried about a clean bed and clean bathrooms, you have no worries. Stay here!!!

Room Tip: I was nervous booking this room, but it turned out perfect.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WJR823
Lodz, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I spent almost one week in this hostel, as a word hotel does not fit hear at all, in June 2013. We were on our honeymoon trip with my husband. I must admit, that the location of the facility is great, but this is the only thing, which is advantageous. Rooms are small and noisy, bathrooms are shared (!). The air conditioning in our room was so loud, that when we started it, we could not hear our thoughts. Room service is OK, but the floor of the room was never clean and one of the bath tubs was stuffed for three days, before anyone fixed it. My overall opinion about this place is poor, it is my worst “hotel” experience ever.

Room Tip: There is no such thing, as a good room in this facility. Choose the one with the quiet AC, if you ma...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple