All reviewssingle roomnew yorkthe empire state buildingtimes squarebudget hotelgreat locationbryant parkplace to sleeprooms are smallshared bathherald squarelight sleeperfresh towelspenn stationcentral locationcleaning stafffew blocks
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Americana Inn for 4 nights, the staff were helpful, friendly and knowledgable about the surrounding area and attractions.
The rooms were very basic with only a small 'chest of drawers', wardrobe, tv and a sink in the corner.
Every room had a shared bathroom but don't be put off by this cause it was always clean and you never had to wait.
Location was amazing, only minutes from Time Square, Bryants Park, Empire State Building, Macy's etc
If you want a clean, cheap, affordable, friendly hotel in the middle of the NYC I strongly recommend you check out the 'Americana Inn'

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It is an old building that has not been maintained. The "passenger" elevator says it is a freight elevator and should NOT be used as a passenger elevator. It smells terrible, the rooms are small and dirty. Shared bathrooms that do not seem to be cleaned regularly. The bed was awful and the noise unbearable. I didn't get more than 1 hour of sleep at a time. I was booked for 2 nights but I changed hotels after the first night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Harriet W
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The property was recently revonated and luckily had a sink in the room as the baths are shared. It's a budget property but you can usually find comps with your own potty. The elevator smells like bug spray and it's very noisy.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We needed to be buzzed in....first clue. You walk into a small entrance way with a staircase and and elevator. The lobby is on the second floor to check in. Old....very old...dank and dreary. We had asked for a room with 2 twin beds. We were told it the room had three twins and we accepted. However, after taking the elevator to our floor and walking through the winding halls, I began to wonder if they were planning on selling that third bed while we were there. I felt like we were staying in a music settlement. Upon opening the door to our room, the realization hit when we saw the free standing sink in the corner there was no shower or bathroom! It was a community bathroom in the hall. I was so glad our time to be there was very limited before checking out the following morning. I'm not sure...maybe a hostile would have been better. This is truly a place for young people on an extreme budget with access to Mid-Town who don't mind travelling 'no frills'. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Not here! I would find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ladycarolyn1
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We selected this hotel, because it was the cheapest available on a top location in NYC. Me and a colleague had to be in DC and he never went to NYC before (It was my 4th time).

The location is great. You are a short walk away from Penn station, so the connecting subway ride from/to JFK was a breeze. Also Bryant Park, Grand Central, Times Square are within a 10 minute walk away. Across the street there was a great coffee shop (Culture Espresso). And if you are a beer fanatic try to visit The Ginger Man a few blocks further.

The room was small, hot! and very basic. It was ok for the two nights we were there, but if you want any comfort and some comfort, do not take this hotel. Beds were ok-ish, but the room had no airco or storage facility. The bathrooms are shared and outside your room, which is inconvenient, but something I can live with. At least they were very clean. Towels and beds were refreshed every day.

The worst was the fact that the windows did not close completely, so it was like sleeping in the middle of 6th Av. The noise was over the top. Take earplugs with you!

So if you only want a room to crash for a bargain, this is a good pick. If you want any form of comfort, stay away. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends