“Brilliant!”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Ranked #84 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 5, 2009

A really good hotel in a brilliant location. The rooms are very clean and the beds very comfortable. Its in an ideal position, we were able to walk everywhere. Not far from Penn station so easy access to the subway. We didn't have breakfast - thought it expensive at $18.00. We found a great diner round the corner for breakfast - think it was called Tommy's. A great Irish bar on the same street for a night cap. and Macys just across the road. What more does anyone want!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vegas21uk
Write a ReviewReviews (5,353)

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I spent five nights at this hotel with my girlfriend recently and I have nothing but good things to say. As mentioned before, it is brand new and is situated next door to a new Hampton Inn hotel. It really is amazing how close you are to Times Square. We were able to walk from the Hotel to there as well as other hot spots in NY which made things really convenient.

The service at the front desk was always good and we had someone take our luggage up to our room upon our arrival. The cleaning staff cleaned up the room daily, even on days when we slept in. Nice new flat screen TV in the room, fridge, coffee, hair dryer, and automatic thermostat.

The only downside is the room was a bit small. It was hard to find a place to put our suitcases. Other than that everything was fine. We had a room on the 14th floor with a view of the back side of the Hotel. Can't hear any street noise at night. You can open the window in the room and it's amazing how silent it becomes when you close it. We also didn't have any issues with the elevators. There are three of them which I think is plenty.

I recommend walking down the street and checking out the restaurants and bars near by. There are a few Asian places, and a bar we really liked called O'Reilly's. They were having $3 Blue Moon beers all weekend. Great deal! There's a bartender there that looks just like Ross from the show "Friends." I mean dead on! He was cool. You are also right near the ESB and shopping.

Anyway, I'd stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris Y
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This is a new hotel. Stayed on the 28th floor faceing the Empire State Building and Macys. Great view. New Hotel. Well kept. There are still some things to correct from construction but the staff is trying. The rooms are small but in NY thats OK.
Stall showers are great.
Breakfast not worth the $18. The rolls were frozen and not fresh. Made omlets were good. Wait staff are a waste. Tip the cook instead.

Reviewed May 29, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights and evverything was perfect. The room was very
clean very comfortable bed the best i've ever slept in. The room a bit small but its enough
for 2 persons. our room was cleaned every day . The stuff were very friendly and helpfull.
Evevry morning there is hot water and coffe and milk in the lobby.
They also have a free internet room with five stations , a printer and a scanner. That was very comfortable for us. The location is just great, 10 minutes from times square, near 34th street with lots of shops, and a subway station just in front of the hotel.
We will stay there again.

Reviewed May 27, 2009

I got an excellent rate of $139. And yes the king bed took up most of the room, but it's a nice little room. I've had smaller rooms. It also has a fridge and microwave, a nice sized TV and a desk, and I still had room to move. The bed was great, very comfortable with lots of pillows. Great walk-in shower also. The water was very hot, but I don't think that should be a complaint. Just mix some cold in. The location is great. Just a short walk from Penn Station. I walked everywhere I went. If you're not a walker, the subway is right there. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient. I would definitely stay there again, except it will probably be way out of my price range next year!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Shaymus
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I red all the reviews before choosing a Hotel here at Tripadvisor. I'm very picky and a clean freak, and believe me this hotel is very clean. The most advantage about staying here is the location is near everything, like said in other posts, the best part is that otheh guests were asking how to get to chinatown on the subway, and the staff explained so well thah we also join the group, there is a subway station a few steps away, take the N to Downtown you get of at Canal Street and there it is Chinatown, walk to Mulberry street and you are in little Italy, or dony get off and change to #4 get of at Brooklyn Bridge and take a walk in it, or just continue and take #6 and get of at Fulton Street and you are in Ground Zero, very easy and fast the only thing is the subway that is very dirty and smelly but very worth it. May be the rooms are small, but you are in NY!! we hardly spend any time in it, there is so much to do here!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights on the 10th floor, May 13-16th. Yeah the room is a bit small, but my wife and I are small people, at least it was more spacious than a cruise ship! We liked the fact that the room was clean, updated, and had an empty fridge for our sodas, water, and snacks, microwave for warming food or popcorn, and the towels were fresh.

However, we did not like the slow, if not forgotten service in cleaning our room each day. The first full day of exploring the city, we returned back to the room at 4pm to relax and it had not yet been serviced! We complained and had to put our shoes back on and go down to the lobby and wait while the maid serviced our room. The same thing happened on the third day even though we showed up earlier at 2pm. We waited in the room for a couple hours till I called the front desk to complain which they immediately sent the cleaning lady up. They really need to speed up the service with cleaning the rooms!

Also, the brand new ice machines need some tweaking or an attitude adjustment. There is a sensor that is supposed to sense the ice bucket when placed in the tray in order to automatically dispense the ice. Well, it needs some adjustment because I had to put my fingers over the sensor in a certain position in order to get the ice to dispense. At least the water dispenser worked fine.

The breakfast buffet is nothing to brag about. The egg station was the only good thing about it. Everything else was cafeteria grade food at best found in a hospital! And at nearly $19.00 a person, is a joke. You are better off paying a few dollars more at I high end hotel for a much better breakfast.

Other than that, I would still return and stay there again for that price, convenience and location. They just need to improve on a few things.