“Perfect location!”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Ranked #87 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here several times for business, but it's in such a good location for pleasure too! The rooms are super clean, and the views of the city are amazing! Can't beat the location. Literally steps from the subway. Rooms may be small to some, but to me, they're big for NYC standards. Breakfast is really good, service always nice. Anything you could want is close to this hotel. I'll keep coming back!

• Stayed: August 2014
Elan B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Good Morning,

Thanks for the great review! We are extremely grateful that you have made HGI35 your go-to hotel for all of your business travel to NYC. Hopefully you'll have the chance to visit us for a leisure trip in the near future, so you can sit back, relax and enjoy our amazing views of the Empire State Building. See you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,388)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The trip to NYC was for a weekend and the HGI was fine for a short stay.

The good:
One of the front desk agent was really nice and supportive
It was a short walk to Penn Station
Subway short walk
not far from good street eateries
Fairly Clean
Cold Water in the lobby
Close to good shopping
Seems Fairly Safe
The world cup was shown on an outdoor screen 1/2 a block down the street
Outdoor seating
A restaurant (didn't eat in it though)

Cons
Double room was very tight and small
The lobby was very small and the front desk area feels crowded with more than two guest
Bell man took lobby trash out and put it in the outside garbage can which was overflowing and the trash just fell on the ground.
There were hotel containers outside not sure what they were but they should not clutter the entrance area

Hint:
The NYC Airporter (http://www.nycairporter.com/) took me to the hotel door from the airport. The cost was reasonable. There was one change at Penn station that was very simple. Cheaper than the taxi and faster than the super shuttle, faster than the city bus.

I would stay here again if the price was right and needed to stay in this area.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a side street that is lightly traveled but it is slightly noisy. Higher up is good...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Elan B, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Good Evening,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and will use your comments as an opportunity to learn and improve. I hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon, and show you what a perfect stay at HGI35 is all about.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My experience here wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all pleasant either. Booked this trip early in the year to celebrate my brother's birthday for 3 nights; nine of us traveled altogether and I booked everyone's room under my credit card (won't happen again). Got an email early that morning of our check-in that their was a pending cancellation on 2 rooms due to my card being declined (this particular hotel puts a hold on the card for the amount of the stay plus a $50 deposit for each room for each night, imagine that total lol). Called the hotel to switch credit cards and had a very rude and unprofessional experience with a manager, Elan Bielski. I understand that the mishap was technically my fault as the fine print states that there may be a hold/deposit required on the card; I take full responsibility for that. However, what I didn't appreciate was Mr. Bielski's flippant attitude. I wanted to insure that our rooms wouldn't be cancelled, but also make sure my credit card was straight so that I could travel, shop etc. freely. I felt he was trying to rush me off of the phone and he told me one story when I spoke to him at first, but when I called back he told me something totally different and then became rude and condescending when I called him on it. He then further exacerbated the situation by being patronizing and giving me an insincere apology. Never experienced such immaturity from a Hilton employee. When we arrived our check in went pretty smoothly as I dealt with another set of employees. Our rooms were very small, but I hear that's the norm in Times Square. It had all the amenities, was very comfortable & I had a nice view of the Empire State Building. Location was great for shopping, eating and enjoying nightlife. We spent the early part of our evenings downstairs at the bar and Sean the bartender was very helpful and hospitable. I didn't take part in the breakfast at all, but my aunt and uncle said they enjoyed it. While my room was comfortable, my parents room had a pungent smell which housekeeping did come twice to clean and deodorize. As stated my experience wasn't horrible but I doubt that I would book here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Felix O, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Raveybaby,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel. It is surprising to read that you encountered anything less than stellar service from Mr. Bielski; not only has he not received any complaints for the year that he has been with us, he is routinely mentioned on Tripadvisor for his tendency to go above and beyond for our guests. That being said, I have read your review to our entire front office team to make them aware of the feedback we received and take the necessary corrective action. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel, our guest feedback truly is the most useful tool in continued improvement.

In Hospitality,
Felix O'Casey
Front Office Manager
Hilton Garden Inn West 35th st

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights. The staff was particularly friendly and helpful with everything from parking to local restaurants. We found the location very convenient to the theater district and many great places to eat and stores to explore. Also convenient to subway and the ever-present cabs. I opted for a room with a view of the city and we had a spectacular view of the Empire State Building at night from our 15th floor room!

Room Tip: Opt for the City View rooms for the small additional fee!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Morning,

Thanks for the amazing review! We take great pride in our customer service here at HGI35, and the positive feedback is always appreciated. We look forward to your next visit to our property!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

My son and I stayed here for a Fri and Sat night visit to NYC. We found the hotel to be comfortable and convenient, and very budget friendly.

The pluses: Service and staff were excellent. Everyone was helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. The room itself was on the small side but from what I hear about average in NYC. Also, the lowest rate rooms have king beds whereas many NY hotels have queen beds at the low price point and jack the rates for king or 2-dbl rooms. The room was clean and perfectly functional albeit basic. The price was the best feature.

The negatives and other considerations: I was not thrilled with the location even though many reviews here rave about it. The immediate area has little "charm" and not many restaurants nearby. Although there is a subway station right there, the lines we wanted were not accessible from that station. The restaurant served a buffet breakfast but no a la carte options. Although better quality than a hotel with complimentary breakfast, it was not $20pp better, and the fact that I couldnt get a bagel and coffee without buying the full buffet was disappointing.

Overall, this hotel served our basic needs at a good price for NYC but was not a memorable part of our stay. My best one-word description is utilitarian.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. At HGI35 we are always working on improving at every aspect of our hotel, and we take each piece of feedback as an opportunity to do better. If you do decide to return to our property, we would be happy to show you exactly how charming both HGI35 and NYC can be!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for a day, the staff was extremely pleasant, ready to assist us as soon as we walked in the lobby. The location was also a plus, walking distance to department stores, restaurants, entertainments, etc. I would definitely recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Good Morning,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. We're happy to hear you ejoyed your stay with us! We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon and show you a perfect stay.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights, in a double room.

The rooms are excellent, very clean, beds are probably the comfiest Ive ever slept in at a hotel. Shower superb and having a fridge and microwave in the room is handy to have.

The location, as most have noted, is perfect for sightseeing but also getting around; subway is literally at the doorstep, while Penn Station is less than 5 mins walk away so great for getting to/from JFK on the Long Island Rail Runner.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I paid for a room with a view, but it was on the back (not facing Empire State) - they consider any...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us at HGI35. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Garden Sleep System beds! I couldn't agree more, they are the most comfortable beds out there. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!