“Fantastic service and location”

Ranked #81 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic service and location”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Chose this hotel for the location, and it is fantastic. Right in the heart of Herald Square, within walking distance to a number of tourist attractions, and several restaurants/bars/clubs. Perfect place to stay for a weekend getaway to NY!

I arrived a couple of hours before the check-in time, and was fully expecting to be told that the room was not ready (typical of NY hotels). I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted at front desk by Andrew Kwon, who sped through the check-in process and handed me the key to a room on the 30th floor, with a view of the Empire State Building. The team at the front desk also offered helpful tips on good restaurants to try out, and the few that I made it to were great. As a frequent traveler, I have to say that the service can make or break a hotel stay, and my experience at this hotel was one of the best!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
AKwon, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear gtandon,

Thank you for the amazing review! It was a pleasure having you and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for the weekend. Also I am thrilled to hear that our team provided you with a fantastic service and that I was able to get you in early to an Empire State Building view room.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am honored to be a part of delivering you a perfect experience with us. We strive to provide a perfect FIVE STAR experience with every guest and I am glad that we were able to achieve that with you.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to NYC as I will personally ensure that your stay will be perfect again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,013)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had such an amazing time at this hotel. It was extremely clean, comfortable and accommodating. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful with anything we needed whether it be advice on where to go, directions or helping us set up our transportation to and from airports. The location is ideal as it's close to everything. It was our first trip to New York and I really couldn't be more pleased and satisfied that this was the hotel we stayed at. The concierge Dwayne Wilson made us feel like we were part of some secret elite Hilton family while he helped us with anything we needed with a huge smile on his face and the manger Mr.O'Casey was great also, we had a brief minor glitch with our room price and he quickly & happily fixed it for us. I've stayed in many hotels in many cities and this was one of my best experiences yet. All in all, we had a great stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
AKwon, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Hollissss ,

Thank you for the amazing review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to New York City! I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and that our team, particularly, Dwayne and Felix, were able to make your stay memorable. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and I pass along your gracious words to them.

We take great pride in providing a perfect FIVE STAR experience to our guests. I am thrilled that we were able to achieve that with you. We know you have a choice when traveling and we thank you for choosing us when visiting NYC.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to NYC as I will personally ensure that your stay will be a perfect as your last. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Western Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Typical tight New York hotel rooms -- but with Hilton standards -- and some even with a view of the Empire State Building. It's remarkable how the architect stacked a refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker and a microwave in a few inches of space. Excellent bedding, HVAC and shower. Big TV just fits. Pleasant décor. Ice and ice water on every third floor. Lobby bar and TV room. Patio entrance. First-class service. Within easy walking distance of Penn Station, Macy's, the Manhattan Mall, many specialty clothing shops, various subway lines, and Times Square,

Room Tip: Rooms above the 15th floor probably have better views, but I doubt there's a bad room in the bui...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ernest58,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the amenities in the room and our location was close to all your needs. I am also delighted to hear that our team was able to provide you with a first-class service.

We strive to provide a perfect FIVE STAR experience to all our guests. We know you have a choice when traveling and we thank you for choosing us when visiting NYC.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to Manhattan as I will personally ensure that your stay will be a perfect! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Fillmore, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Dwayne Wilson was very helpful. He got us set up for a car to airport. He recommended the best steak we ever had at bobby vans. He was so friendly and helpful, he made us feel like vip guests. Thank you Dwayne.

Fran & Doug Tuttle

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
AKwon, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Frances T,

Thank you for the review! I am thrilled to hear that our concierge, Dwayne, was able to make your stay memorable including recommending you to a great steakhouse and seting up a car service to the airport for you. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and I will certainly pass along your praise to Dwayne.

Our goal is to provide a perfect FIVE STAR experience for every guest. I am glad that we were able to achieve that with you. We know you have a choice when travelling, and we thank you for choosing us when visiting New York City.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to Manhattan as I will personally ensure that your stay will be perfect again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We chose this hotel for our first EVER trip to NYC. We were extremely excited to be going to this city and thought that we chose a solid hotel which had lots to offer--we were right! First off, I should mention that I used to be a housekeeper in a five star resort. I am very picky when it comes to the cleanliness of hotel rooms. I know the tricks and shortcuts that some people make when cleaning a room. I have to say that this room exceeded my expectations. A king room with a stunning view of the Empire State building that was very pleasing. The room was spotless. How do I know this? Because of my experience with cleaning at a hotel, I literally pick apart the sheets and mattresses...I look into the corners of rooms and under beds. I look for signs of pests. I was relieved to find everything was in tip top shape...I'm a little OCD, so if I had found something out of place it really would have irritated me for the four nights that we were to stay there...but like I said, everything was great and it was a stress free stay for me. If you're really OCD, bring Lysol wipes.

When we first walked into our room, we were tired and wanted to freshen up and go out exploring for a bit and stretch our legs. We had just spent 7 hours in the car traveling from Ontario. My Fiance went to the window and said ''hun, you need to come here''. I said, ''what's wrong, I'm trying to do my make up and freshen up'' and he says ''just come here''. So I walked over to the window and pulled open the curtain and BAM!! AMAZING view of the Empire State Building. I was blown away. It was really exciting for us as this was our first time in the big apple. We are experienced travelers and it was nice to be pleasantly surprised. We had paid extra for a 'city view' room and it was worth the few extra pennies. We will be booking with this hotel again and will opt for the city view. It's hard not to just sit there and watch the city-it's beautiful especially at night when everything is lit up.

I had ZERO noise complaints. We weren't too far from an elevator and it wasn't a problem in terms of noise. It is a little slow, but c'mon, is that really a problem? Take the stairs if you're not too far up the building. We used the heater once and it wasn't noisy. Can't speak for the use of a/c because it was December and we had no need for it.

I wanted to mention that being from a big city, I am used to people making noise and traffic noise at night. This is normal to me. Being that it's NYC, the noise level is amped up a bit: you hear cars and taxis honking their horns and deliveries...but it's a CITY. Nothing out of the ordinary. I imagine the higher up you stay in the building, the less it'll be. I slept fine though.

One thing that I love about this hotel, and this will sound weird, is that there is a window that opens up a few inches. I really liked this feature because I hate a dry room and I don't like it too warm and it's always nice to get some fresh air. I slept most nights with the window open. This was a mid December trip and it was pretty warm and no snow on the ground. The sounds of the city put me to sleep and the room wasn't too dry or hot.

Bed was uncomfortable and this is why I give four stars out of five. Upon reading other reviews, I find out that there is a ''dial'' on the side of the mattress where you can adjust the firmness. No one at front desk told us about this feature and we saw no literature about it either. Whoever stayed in the room before us, must enjoy sleeping on concrete because the mattress was hard as a rock. I like a firm mattress, but damn, that was hard. If I had known about the dial, it would have been fine. Now YOU know about the dial :)

Friendly check-in staff were attentive and fast. Clean common areas. Everyone had a smile on their faces and was polite--even at this busy time of year...near Christmas.

We ended up pulling into the city during rush hour. This was a bit daunting for us as we were new to the city and were trying to follow directions. The parking for this hotel is about a block away on 36th I believe. This is fine--you walk about a block or so with your bags...not a massive deal. The issue was that we drove by it the first time because we saw a MARRIOTT sign and thought that this wasn't parking for this Hilton Garden Inn. It in fact was and hosts parking for a number of hotels nearby. We had to drive around the block again to get to it...what a hassle during rush hour. It took 30 mins to get back around....so that you don't miss it....it's ICON Parking on west 36th street....there is a bit of orange on the sign and I think this is the info: ICON PARKING - 52 W. 36TH ST. PARK LLC...don't quote me on that as it's been a few months since our Dec. 2013 stay.

If you're a first timer to the city, do yourself a favour and buy yourself a subway pass for the duration of your trip. There is a subway station right outside the hotel which is ultra convenient. We were able to figure out the subway on day one and we had never even used it before. Such an easy, cost effective way to get around the city and when you get off at your stop, you're right at your hotel. Amazing especially after your feet are tired after a long day of sight seeing.

Bed bugs freak me out and I saw no evidence of this in our room. I saw one negative review about this hotel which said they found bed bugs. I was shocked to see the photos, but just wanted to add, that this is a problem that EVERY hotel has to contend with. These pests might have come in with other guests from their home or another hotel. The hotel has said they dealt with it quickly and efficiently and I believe them. As I said, I had no issues with this with our room.

Keep an eye on the rates as you can get yourself some good deals.

Skip the breakfast buffet--too expensive. There are plenty of little cafes or diners nearby or Dunken Donuts and McDonalds. Something for every budget. Walk up the street a little bit for a phenomenal, cheap breakfast at Andrew's coffee shop.

I LOVE to shop and when I saw how close this location was to THE Macy's on 34th-Herald Square, I died a little inside. Absolutely incredible. There is a drug store across the street too, just FYI if you need something. The Macy's was wonderful and we ate at their grill on the first night of our stay. Great burgers! We found out about the Macy's restaurants through the little binder in our hotel room which suggested local eateries. Definitely suggest trying the grill at Macy's. Later on in our stay we ate at the Italian in Macy's called Stella and it was AMAZING. Reasonably priced. Braised beef ragu was fantastic. You MUST make a visit to KEEN's which is right near the parking. Book well in advanced and enjoy some amazing steak.

We walked just a few blocks to the Empire State Building (book your tickets in advance to avoid the ticket line up...you'll have to wait in line to go up, so at least save yourself the hassle and only have to wait in one line, not two). We walked just a couple of blocks to the Flat Iron Building and we even walked to Union Square. You MUST visit the Union Square Holiday Market at Christmas time. It's wonderful--great food, great arts and crafts and unique Christmas gift ideas.

We got free bottles of water upon check-in which was great and I love the fact that there is a fridge in the room. Also, there is a microwave so if you're really on a budget, go purchase some frozen entrees from the drug store across from Macy's called Duane Reed.

The rooms are small---but so are most rooms in NYC. Honestly, if you're there to see the city and all it has to offer, you're not in the room much anyways. It was comfy and cozy.

HD TV with all the channels you'd ever need.

We had room service as well. Pizza was mediocre but the cheese cake was delicious. VERY expensive to order pop/soda so again, go to the Duane Reed and buy some bottles for yourself and stick them in the fridge.

We will be staying here again. I have a friend who stayed here and she had similar reviews and she had stayed 2 years prior to our visit. It was nice to be close to Times Square, but not right in it. Central location is wonderful.

Room Tip: Worth the extra money to have a 'city view room'. Bring your own drinks and store them in th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IHEARTNYC2014
AKwon, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear IHEARTNY2014,

Thank you for excellent review! It was a pleasure having you with us and I am delighted to hear that your first trip to NYC was memorable. Also, thank you for sharing your genrous feedback about our team and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Empire State Building view room and the cleanliness of the room has exceeded your expectations. In addition, I am thrilled to hear that our location was convenient to all your needs. However, I am truly sorry about your experience with the firm mattress that you slept on. I will certainly pass along your feedback in terms of sharing that information at check-in for our guests moving forward.

We take great pride in providing our guests with an exceptional experience. We understand that you have a choice when travelling, and we thank you for choosing us!

Pleaser reach out to me directly should your travels return to Manhattan as I will personally ensure that your stay will be a perfect FIVE STAR stay! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Poynton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days and found the hotel to be excellent. The room was on the 11th floor and was spacious and spotlessly clean. The coffee machine was a nice added bonus. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better, with the Empire State Building around the corner, Times Square up the road, Macy's over the road and a subway station on the corner. I would definitely stay here again if I got the chance to return to New York.

Room Tip: Rooms to the side don't have a Empire State Building view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Christine C,

Thank you for the amazing review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location and the cleanliness of the room exceeded your expectations. In addition, I am glad that you enjoyed our Keurig coffee machines as well. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we thank you for choosing us when travelling.

We strive to provide our guests with a perfect FIVE STAR experience. It is a pleasure to hear that we were able to achieve that with you.

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to New York City as I will personally ensure that your stay will be perfect as your last. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed here for a week in March and found it a great location for first time visitors to New York. We didn't really know what mid-town meant until we arrived - had a great room looking on to Empire State Building. Quality bed, linen, and towels. Reception staff were very friendly - big shout out for Alex in particular, as were the concierge staff. Lifts always came, eventually; but this is maybe just NY.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LindaMac2014,

Thank you for the great review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location and that our Front Office team provided you with friendly service. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and your generous words about our team, particularly, about Alex who made your stay memorable. I will certainly pass along your praise to him.

We take great pride in providing a perfect FIVE STAR experience for all our guests. We know you have a choice when travelling and we thank you for choosing us!

Please reach out to me directly should your travels return to New York City as I will personally ensure that your stay will be perfect! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.