“My new go-to hotel in Manhattan”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Ranked #86 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I feel compelled to write my first TripAdvisor review after my stay here earlier this month. I would have been happy with just getting good value, but got both value and luxury.

I have rarely felt special during a hotel stay, but the service here made it so. From the prompt and cheery checkin with Andrew at the front desk to the handwritten note from Elan to recognize an anniversary, service consistently went the extra mile. Even the breakfast chef, Richard, took extra care of customers.

The location also serves as a great jumping board to explore New York. The subway is right outside and much is within walking distance, including Penn Station, Korea Town, and the Empire State Building.

Was the stay absolutely perfect? No, housekeeping left some clothes from the previous occupant underneath the bed. The lounge and bar space was also limited, but I wasn't looking for that anyway. Still, I have spent much more in Manhattan and gotten a lot less. This will be my new go-to hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear kakapockets,

Thanks for taking the time to write such an excellent review of our property. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed my note and the chocolates we sent up for your Anniversary. I hope you had an amazing Anniversary and decide to return to HGI35 each year to celebrate!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,350)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Hey everybody!!! It's Singlemama Travelista!

This hotel was divine for the Christmas Holidays. It has everything you need for a wonderful NYC stay. Nestled in the heart of Herald Square, between 5th and 6th Avenues on 35th Street, this moderately priced hotel provides the unique opportunity to have all the conveniences of being in Manhattan without all of the "noise" associated with Time Square. The service is beyond excellent and the staff makes you feel like royalty. The rooms are on the larger side for NYC standards and are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave for storing and warming up leftovers from your favorite NY food sundries. All of NYC best attractions are in walking distance or for those who may need it, a 5-6 dollar(USD) cab ride away. The subway system is right next door to the hotel which will get you anywhere in NYC. So, with all that said, let me give you my 3 top reasons for chosing the Hilton Garden Inn W 35th as a GO TO hotel for a NYC stay:

3. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION- 5-10 minute walk to most of the well known attractions in NYC. ( Time Square, Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building). You can literally throw a rock at Macy's ( with a good aim and some practice :)) The area felt super safe and trendy. Plenty of cabs available to get around the city. We visited NYC Center, Orpheum Theater, Central Park and Columbus Circle and never paid more than $8.00 for a cab (excluding tips), Some of the best food trucks are located in the area as well. This is a great loaction for those chosing not to have a car.

2. Room/Amenities- Although this is not a luxury hotel, it has a comfortable feel that is suitable for the business traveler and or the "single mama"! The hotel is chic and provides a sufficient King sized room for 2 people based on NYC standards. My room was very close to the elevator, but I never heard a thing. Ahh!!! Quiet bliss is definitely a plus. The ESB view room is worth the extra dollars. Breathtaking and also a good conversation piece if you are a history/Architecture buff.
See my pics to get a feel of the room and its comforts.

1. Service!- The staff at this hotel is everything!!! Friendly, accomodating, fun,, just to name a few. I can't say enough about the service. I will say this.... I fractured my knee on the trip on Christmas Eve. ( NOT AT THE HOTEL). RC called the ER and they had me to the hospital (Roosevelt) in no time. The hotel was so cautious of my privacy and went out of their way to make sure that my transition from the hotel to the hospital (ambulance) was quick and safe. Upon arrival back to the hotel, they called to check on me and had extra ice and Aleve sent to the room to ensure I would be comfortable and not have to move around too much. Phil was awesome, and a constant help as I hobbled around on crutches for the first time ever. Tamieka worked diligently to correct a credit card mishap and did not give up until it was resolved. Andrew was my true "Kwon" (referenced from the Movie, Jerry McGuire-pun intended); a manager that made a hotel stay feel like my daughter and I were royalty. The complimentary gourmet jelly beans at the front desk is a delicious addition to such "sweet" service.

Honorable mention goes to the breakfast buffet... $16.95 all you can eat and stocked with yummy delights.

Don't forget to check out the pics!!
This hotel is a keeper!

Room Tip: Empire State Building views are fabulous!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Singlemamatravelista

Dear singlemamatravelista,

Wow! Thanks for the absolutely amazing review. I'm so happy that you felt our staff members treated you like royalty. I will happily let RC and Andrew know how much you appreciated their helpfulness and dedication to excellent customer service. We are looking forward to your next visit to HGI35!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This hotel is located in the perfect spot; in the heart of midtown. Just a short walk to Bryant Park, Times Square and even Rockefeller Center. I walked to Central Park and beyond and I also walked south to Eataly. I spent 2 days in the City and never had to use public transportation. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms. The size of our room was very decent for NYC. As a Gold Member, I had free breakfast vouchers and breakfast was great with very good service. From now on, this will be my hotel of choice because of the location and service. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ollie12
Elan B, Guest Service Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear ollie12,

Thanks for the excellent review! I couldn't agree more about our location; it can't be beat! We recognize that you have a choice when visiting NYC and greatly apprecaite you choosing HGI35. We are proud to be your go-to hotel for all your visits to NYC.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Very clean, friendly stuff, in the middle of the center. closed to every where.
I definetly advise this hotel. very simple plain decoration. comfurtable beds.closesdd good for shopping area. .........

Room Tip: comfurtable beds
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear gardenkitchen,

Thanks for the great review! We are delighted that you had such an amazing stay and that you would recommend HGI35 to anyone who visits NYC. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I am frequently in NYC on business and have stayed at MANY Hilton properties in the city. I really like this hotel for the location, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the rooms. My room had a refridgerator which is really helpful for frequent travelers who tire of always eating out. This hotel is in the heart of Korea-town and is surrounded by many great Korean restaurants. There many other great restaurants within walking distance as well. I also appreciate the easy walk to/from Penn Station - I usually take Amtrak into the city. This hotel is always one of the first ones I check for availability when I'm in the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Andrea W
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Andrea,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear that HGI35 is one of your go-to hotels for your frequent visits to NYC. We recognize that you have a choice from a wide range of properties, and greatly appreciate you choosing HGI35. We hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Unless you get one of the back rooms, this place is just noisy. There is constant unloading of trucks going on over the road all night. I am not talking about typical NY noise but something extra to make your nights unconfortable. And don't think because you have a high Hilton status you will get one of the back rooms. I am Diamond and the staff almost laughed when I requested one or even to be moved to a high floor (I am used to bad service so that didn't bother me much).

Stayed here twice now but never again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Belgo
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Belgo,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry that you found our location to be very noisy. I can assure you that we greatly appreciate our Hilton Honors guests, and hope to have the chacne to prove that to you in the future. We recognize that you have a choice when visiting NYC and greatly appreciate you choosing to stay at HGI35.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was our first time in NYC and we stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We absolutely loved the location of this hotel being right by Herald Square and just a few steps from the subway. Via the subway you're only one stop from Times Square and it only took about 10 minutes to get all the way down to the Statue of Liberty. The hotel itself was very clean, rooms were decent size (for being in a big city), and we always had great customer service. Parking was very easy as well and just one block from the hotel. We had a room on the 25th floor and had a great view of the Empire State Building! We will definitely stay here again when we return to NYC!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsey D

Dear Lindsey,

Thanks for taking the time to write such an excellent review of our property. I'm delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be perfectly located and that you were able to enjoy our unbelivable views of the Empire State Building. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to HGI35 soon!