“Standrard is overrated”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #163 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 25, 2009

The only good thing I can say about Standard are the visitors. I met many intersting people during my stay. But most of them were saying the same. The Standard is overrated: The price for assmall room is too high, the service is bad, the aircondiotion too loud and so on. I would recommend everyone to stay at a more etablished hotel like Bowery.(where people are also interesting people, but the service and the rooms are much better)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Fleetfred

Reviewed September 20, 2009

We loved this hotel at the same time as it made us really mad. The tiny room (over $600 a night with taxes) was uncomfortably small for two people but definitely the best tiny room we’ve experienced. A huge window overlooking the East River, and a window between the bedroom and the bathroom helped opened the room up. However the queen bed, pushed into a corner, made sleeping uncomfortable for the inside person…and ridiculously inconvenient when it came to getting up in the middle of the night. I’d be very comfortable here by myself, but for two grow-ups it felt downright silly…not to mention utterly overpriced. That said, the bed was comfortable, the bed linens and towels great, and the lighting well thought-out. The big TV at the foot of the bed, in front of the huge window, seems gigantic in such a pint-sized room.
However, design is everywhere…every little bit of this place is designed for visual interest. I especially loved the black tiles in the bathroom and WC. However, turn on the faucet in the bathroom and water cascades out of the sink soaking an unsuspecting handwasher. And try to plug in your computer and you have to either unplug the radio or a lamp, or perch awkwardly on the bed. (I consider the lack of convenient electrical outlets totally unforgiveable in a new, purpose-built hotel.) I also thought the lack of a cordless phone was very lame. To continue, the closet was so tiny that there was barely room for one day’s worth of clothes next to the thick robes and ironing board. Frankly, hotel developer Andre Balazs should know better by now.
The staff was friendly and accommodating, and being in such a creative environment balances, somewhat, the annoyances. My two favorite features were the video collage in the elevators and the knitted cozies slipped over the steel stanchions outside. The location is lots of fun. The meatpacking district seems to be getting better all the time. The elevated Highline Park is a big draw. The area is full of New Yorkers but hip internationals seem to dominate. Are they the only people who can afford The Standard?

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dancingnancy
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay at The Standard over the weekend. Loved the modern decor and design of both the building itself and the rooms. Rooms are small but efficient and the beds are very comfy. If I went back I would ask for a room with a view of the Hudson though because we were given one with a view of the Highline only. The view was cool, but nothing stunning. While I can appreciate the beautiful hotel and its staff, I did feel like they were both a little pretentious.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Great Hotel but,brunch needs a tune up sevice is slow, waiters look lost at times.The rooms are the best for 250sqft .The guest are very fun group so we had a great time.The area is the best in New York.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2009

When planning our annual trip to New York, I wanted to get away from the midtown hotels and stay more towards Greenwich Village. We have walked around the Village numerous times,, but have always gotten lost, what with its narrow streets intersecting this way and that, without the perfect grid system of midtown streets. We also have been following the High Line project--the redevelopment of an old elevated railroad platform into a lovingly and cleverly designed landscaped walkway-- as well as the construction of the Standard Hotel straddling it. So when we discovered the Standard would be open during our planned visit, we eagerly booked there. We were able to get a good web-only rate similar to the soft opening rate the hotel initially offered.

The Neighbourhood.

The hotel is located in the Meatpacking district just north of the West Village. It straddles the High Line and is quite an impressive sight, 18 stories tall. We first visited this area when the boutique Jeffrey opened on 14th St. a number of years ago . Back then the area truly did consist of mostly meatpacking facilities. A few of these still remain, but most have become designer shops, clubs, lounges and restaurants. The nightlife here is very active--weekdays and weekends we witnessed crowds at 2 am and later--people who require very little sleep and/or don't go to work until the afternoon, if at all. Over the course of our 6 day stay, we saw exactly 3 children in the area, all during daylight hours and none within the hotel itself. The hotel offers queen or king rooms only; 2 people maximum per room.
The nearest subway stop is about a 5 minute walk away.

The Hotel Public Rooms.

There is a large outdoor seating area in front of the lobby, which is smallish but stylish, a bit retro looking. The elevators all have 2 unique video screens playing a mesmerizing continuously scrolling presentation, with music. There are several lounge spaces on the ground floor, both indoors and out, with the largest being outdoors under (and protected by) the High Line--very popular. The restaurant The Standard Grill is adjacent, also with indoor and outdoor seating. Not yet opened is the top (18th) floor lounge/club, which apparently will have pool, and is certain to be a hot spot once it opens in about a month. It will surely be a velvet rope type of place, and I would expect there may be difficulty (or at least a wait) for guests just trying to return to their rooms. Even now, over the weekend there was security at the elevators, asking for room keys and checking guest names from a list. There is a large gym on the 17th floor with fabulous views in 3 directions, including the Hudson River. There is no business center (but Wifi is free) or spa.

The Guestrooms.

Our web rate was for a Standard Queen, but we were upgraded to a south-facing Superior Queen, a slightly smaller room but with a better view. Apparently all the Standard rooms face north, where one gets a glimpse of the river. High Line and Empire State Building, but mostly one sees a large building being built one block north. From the south-facing rooms, there are virtually no buildings taller that the hotel, so one can clearly see Downtown, the southern tip of the High Line, much better views of the Hudson River, New Jersey and the Statue of Liberty.
We were informed at check-in as well as via a letter delivered to the room that the floor-to-ceiling windows were non-reflective, so without your drapes drawn, people below can see EVERYTHING, and this apparently has been an issue, based on things we'd read online. Indeed, whenever we looked down at the High Line, there were always people staring up at the hotel.
The room was not large, but I've seen smaller in New York, and things were designed to maximize space--a built-in seating area, 2 sides of the bed placed flush against the wall (the person with the stronger bladder should sleep against the wall). The colour scheme is black, white and beige. The flat screen HD TV froze a lot.
The bathroom was tiled in black with a laboratory-like sink and counter fixture. The bath products were cleverly packaged. Very early TA reviews of the hotel mentioned the flooding situation involving the shower, and we bore witness to this in our room. The shower is not enclosed, with only a small glass partition between it and the sink. Only the water temperature can be controlled, not the volume (this is true of practically every hotel shower we've used for the past few years), so the water naturally flows out onto the floor, which is not sloped enough towards the drain. We learned quickly to form a dam using a towel (very large and fluffy by the way) to contain the water. Indeed, after showering, the driest place in the bathroom was in the bathtub, which was huge and open to the bedroom with shutters. The toilet was in a separate water closet.

The Staff and Service.

The staff was all quite young and stylish, courteous and helpful for the most part. Male staffers seem to outnumber the females. Our one exception was with an unfriendly room service attendant, but this was after midnight and he was doing double duty--taking an order on a mobile phone while delivering our order.

This was a fun hotel in a fun location. It's not a 5 star place, nor does it strive to be, but it delivered on most fronts. Again, it's not a place for families with small children or friends who are not intimate with each other. or for business. Coming from Los Angeles, we think this Standard has more to offer than either of the LA Standards.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Reviewed September 2, 2009

ABSOLUTELY loved The Standard NY. I've stayed in both the LA Standard hotels with work and thought for my trip to NY I would try the New York one: it didn't disappoint. Innovative decor (and dreamlike elevator video was entrancing) and having floor to ceiling windows was amazing for a visitor to NY.

I especially loved the super deep bath with a window through to the room to watch TV after a day pounding the pavements! As I was alone for a few days in NY, it was so nice to come back to a beautiful room every night. I think I would have been rather depressed in an average hotel. Such good value for money- don't put up your prices when you get really popular!

Just amazing. I would live at The Standard if I could. Modern and trendy and quirky without being pretentious- the staff were all really helpful and friendly, and knew where the great places to go are eg Vintage shopping and Frueza Brutal that I can imagine a lot of hotels wouldn't tell you about. Great location- right next to Diana Fustenberg's studio and not far from Bleaker St which I loved. Even the room service guys would stand and have a chat about your day. Food amazing at The Grill too- I remember the brioche from the LA Standard and was really chuffed to see it again!

All I want to know is- where did you get the kissing dogs salt and pepper shakers- so so cute.

Thanks so much, I fell in love with NY and this hotel. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my stay and am already planning to come back and stay again with my boyfriend for my 30th Birthday next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank jen_ballardie
Reviewed September 1, 2009

We don't usually go Boutique Hotel when in Manhattan, but on a friends tip, we booked a room here. We were only in the city for one night, but our stay here made the most of our short visit. With floor to ceiling windows you knew you were in NY. How great to wake up to a view of the Hudson. Definitely a sexy vibe with the wood paneling, low slung bed, exposed shower and the city looking in at you.

We came in on a Red-eye a little worse for wear, but how can you not smile when you are greeted by the cute boys in the nasty little Bavarian-inspired shorts and yellow checked shirts. Everything is happier in yellow including the street level turn-style entrance. Great transition between the sidewalk and the super sleek lobby, you know you have arrived somewhere special. The staff was so helpful getting us as early a check-in as possible, they took our phone number and called as soon as a room was available. A hotel is only as good as the people working there, A+.

We spent the day up at the Met, Central Park then checked out a few Galleries. Once we returned to the hotel we never had to leave again. The Meatpacking District has great restaurants, amazing shopping, the Chelsea Market, and the new Highline. We recommend enjoying a drink in the hotel lounge, the bartender is more than generous with the Vodka and there's great people watching. We missed checking out the views from the gym, next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple