“The Standard really made my stay!”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #158 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 2, 2009

ABSOLUTELY loved The Standard NY. I've stayed in both the LA Standard hotels with work and thought for my trip to NY I would try the New York one: it didn't disappoint. Innovative decor (and dreamlike elevator video was entrancing) and having floor to ceiling windows was amazing for a visitor to NY.

I especially loved the super deep bath with a window through to the room to watch TV after a day pounding the pavements! As I was alone for a few days in NY, it was so nice to come back to a beautiful room every night. I think I would have been rather depressed in an average hotel. Such good value for money- don't put up your prices when you get really popular!

Just amazing. I would live at The Standard if I could. Modern and trendy and quirky without being pretentious- the staff were all really helpful and friendly, and knew where the great places to go are eg Vintage shopping and Frueza Brutal that I can imagine a lot of hotels wouldn't tell you about. Great location- right next to Diana Fustenberg's studio and not far from Bleaker St which I loved. Even the room service guys would stand and have a chat about your day. Food amazing at The Grill too- I remember the brioche from the LA Standard and was really chuffed to see it again!

All I want to know is- where did you get the kissing dogs salt and pepper shakers- so so cute.

Thanks so much, I fell in love with NY and this hotel. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed my stay and am already planning to come back and stay again with my boyfriend for my 30th Birthday next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank jen_ballardie

Reviewed September 1, 2009

We don't usually go Boutique Hotel when in Manhattan, but on a friends tip, we booked a room here. We were only in the city for one night, but our stay here made the most of our short visit. With floor to ceiling windows you knew you were in NY. How great to wake up to a view of the Hudson. Definitely a sexy vibe with the wood paneling, low slung bed, exposed shower and the city looking in at you.

We came in on a Red-eye a little worse for wear, but how can you not smile when you are greeted by the cute boys in the nasty little Bavarian-inspired shorts and yellow checked shirts. Everything is happier in yellow including the street level turn-style entrance. Great transition between the sidewalk and the super sleek lobby, you know you have arrived somewhere special. The staff was so helpful getting us as early a check-in as possible, they took our phone number and called as soon as a room was available. A hotel is only as good as the people working there, A+.

We spent the day up at the Met, Central Park then checked out a few Galleries. Once we returned to the hotel we never had to leave again. The Meatpacking District has great restaurants, amazing shopping, the Chelsea Market, and the new Highline. We recommend enjoying a drink in the hotel lounge, the bartender is more than generous with the Vodka and there's great people watching. We missed checking out the views from the gym, next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lctrippin
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I traveled to New York for business for nine days. The Standard New York provided me a home away from home. The staff was everything a staff should be from housekeeping to front desk. I had other friends staying at he hotel and had equally excellent things to say about their stay. I am will be traveling to New York often and look forward to staying at the Standard New York again.
I flew from New York to Las Vegas and the Standard New York was on the local news in Vegas the next morning. They were talking about what a unique place the Standard New York is. Made me miss it just a bit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank makeumglad
Reviewed August 26, 2009

all other elements of a hotel stay are secondary to getting a good night's sleep- and that's impossible at the standard: early morning hammering and drilling ruin an otherwise well-run establishment.
the truly pointless aspect of this is that the construction work rarely takes more than a couple of hours to complete- hours that could just as easily occur in the afternoon when the overseas traveller, night-owl, or holiday-taker would be much less-likely to be disturbed. yet, despite countless complaints to clueless staff and management over a multi-month stay, the hammering begins again the next morning at 8am (and is once again completed before lunch).
were it not for this pointless insensitivity to the basic needs of its guests, my review of the standard would be complimentary. but mismanagement at this level borders on the criminal.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank dormicom
iannicholson, Managing Director at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

Dear Dormicom,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at The Standard, New York. I sincerely apologize for the disturbance caused by the work underway to complete our top floor of the hotel. The noise you heard during your stay was, ironically, due to the additional work required to complete the concrete-reinforced sound barrier between the 17th and 18th floor. Regrettably, we received very late notice from our contractor that this work was scheduled; we expect all construction to be completed by the end of next week at the latest. I do hope you choose to return and stay with us and allow us to make amends for the inconvenience caused. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
Ian Nicholson
Managing Director

Reviewed July 31, 2009

Stayed with my 9 years old son for 3 nights. Very friendly and nice staffs. Location is fantastic, literally above the Highline ! If you walk around the neighborhood, you find a very cool shop unexpectedly. For snack or breakfast go to the Chelsea Market.
Great architecture. I loved the lighting of the elevator lobby on the 1st floor. Fab view from bedroom .
There is something magical about this hotel.
Beautiful stay. Thank you, Standard:-)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank javachipp
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I was pretty sure that Andre Balazs' new hotel can't be disappointing (he is already a respected brand, NYC king of cool) but didn't expect that much for the less than 300$ per night. By saying that much I mean: sleek corner room with a view to trendy Meatpacking District incl. High Line, roomy bathroom stuffed with excellent Kiss My Face organic products, tasty breakfast to start the day ....just to name few. As expected Standard service is truly New York style - everything goes smooth and easy, I just love staff attitude, not to mention they all are good looking. I'm really looking back to stay at Standard asap, which is probably this September. There is no place like Standard!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Safranfoer
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Not sure how they do it, but somehow this hotel has the ultimate cool factor ....from the chic design and decorating to the gorgeous staff and breathtaking floor to ceiling views...and yet they are so nice...really nice. Everything was immaculate. The linens were so cozy I didn't want to get out of bed until Irealized I could take a shower and still see the view. My husband I lived in the city for many years and never experienced it quite like this...amazing...can't wait to go back

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple