“Cannot Wait to Return”

Ranked #146 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maui, HI
“Cannot Wait to Return”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I stayed here at the end of May in one of the standard queen rooms on the 11th floor. Everything was perfect for me during my stay - from the friendly reception staff to the concierge guys who always left their station to hail me a cab to the gorgeous model guy who brought me my in-room complimentary breakfast. I loved the room - stunning views of the river (i could see Liberty Statue clearly) and lower Manhattan clearly visible through the floor-ceiling windows, nice comfy bed low to the floor with plenty of pillows, convenient plug outlets for my laptop and cell. The complimentary toiletries (Kiss My Face brand) were ample sized, larger than norm - face cream was 2oz.. Love, loved the deep tub. After my 13 hr flight, it was a treat to fill it and soak, with and be able to enjoy the sunset - clear view through the bedroom. I did not experience any air conditioning problems mentioned in some of the reviews here - my room maintained perfect ambient temps for me. I was neither hot nor cold. The hotel is in a great neighbourhood with lots of boutiques and restaurants. My room was directly above the Brass Monkey - their patio was packed till 3am. I felt safe walking around at night. The minibar was stocked with lots of different options for alcohol & non-alcoholic drinks (bottles were not "mini" sized either) and snacks. The prices were really reasonable and it wasn't one of those cheesy spring-loaded fridges either.

I can see that this hotel is good for singles or young/hip couples. Not kid friendly rooms or for those who don't like the modern look and decor. I wish they had low flow toilets - that was the one unit that was not modern. The bathroom should have had a waste bin and it would have been nice to have a robe.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
kowloon
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I complained to the staff that I could not sleep at night because of the noise that going on outside. They did not do anything about it. I found that very rude but the hotel itself was very nice. Hope you get better staff.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank dj25
Sydney
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We spent two nights at The Standard after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. It was a great hotel; very trendy both inside and out but not at all intimidating. So different from a chain hotel in midtown. The staff also looked the part; they were helpful especially at check in - giving us a south facing room (which are a higher rate than what we had paid). The room (queen standard) was cool. A little on the small side (not much room to have two suitcases open) but the floor to ceiling views were fantastic. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the design of the rooms. The bathroom was quite unique with a great two person bath and the views are still visible from the bath. The mini bar has a great selection and is really reasonably priced as is the room service menu. And a really comfy bed but our only problem was that the sheets were not fresh on our first night. It is a great location to explore the meatpacking district, the village and chelsea.

Berlin
Reviewed May 24, 2009

My partner and I stayed 3 nights at THE STANDARD. We really enjoyed our tastefully decorated room with a fantastic view over the meatpacking district, Hudson River and the Empire State Building in sight. The concierge and the staff in general were very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfeast delivered each morning to our room was delicious. The location of the hotel is just perfect. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs in this neighbourhood. We would return to this hotel anytime. It offers good value for an expensive city like New York.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed May 23, 2009

The standard at this hotel is really low! very small bedrooms, beds and bathrooms... it seems to be on a boat. it is absolutely overrated, especially for the real pour service it is offered. Don't try to wait for room service... they will simply ignore you.
Bad experience overall.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank pancrazio81
iannicholson, Managing Director at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, May 27, 2009
Dear Pancrazio81-
I am disappointed to hear of your experience. While we certainly do not have New York City’s largest rooms, most guests are pleasantly surprised by our spacious rooms with their open layout and their value. While we certainly had a break-down in your room service order, I would assure you our service is generally very timely and gracious. I would be happy to discuss your experience further so we can improve our service should you like to contact me directly.
Sincerely, Ian Nicholson, Managing Director, The Standard
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 11, 2009

First the positives: Great location if you like youthful nightlife and/or excellent resaurants. Wonderful high-end boutiques and great window shopping. Friendly service. Gorgeous looking people everywhere. Very fair price, at least at the moment.

The negatives: Really uncomfortable rooms. Engineers there pointed out some flaws in the ventilation that were impossible to correct because the architect won out over the engineers. We had to change rooms. Bathroom design is more annoying than "cool". The furniture in the rooms is very uncomfortable but very "modern". The staff seemingly has no training in the hotel industry. Extremely pleasant but clueless. The doormen will actually open the door for you about 20% of the time. They are otherwise discussing their next picture-shoot.

I really wanted to like this place because it's new I love the area. If you are twenty-something I am sure you will love it. But if you are looking for a 4-star hotel and are over 30, you will be gravely disappointed.

4 Thank Robwash
New York, NY
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My partner and I live in NYC but decided to stay for a night here to celebrate a birthday and get out of our usual neighborhood.

Put simply we had a wonderful stay at The Standard. We stayed in a West-facing "Standard Suite" on a high floor. Glass walls from floor to ceiling on three sides, including the bathroom. The view is simply unforgettable and the suite design and layout was gorgeous. A big two-person bathtub, a comfortable (if squeaky) king sized bed. A two-head rain shower in the bathroom. Because of the very modern design, yes, some water does get around the bathroom etc but who cares?

The AC does work with a min temp of 60F. With all shades drawn it does get a lot of sunlight so that may account for why a previous reviewer found it warm.

Room service was delicious. Homemade ice cream, a tasty cheeseburger, complimentary breakfast. It was not overpriced by room service standards, either.

There appears to be several bars downstairs but the hotel did not seem noisy at night. The room was very quiet.