“Go On, Treat Yourself”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #153 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 11, 2013

For New Year, a friend and I decided to treat ourselves to a night at The Standard. Standing astride the Highline, the hotel is perfectly positioned for visit to New York in that part of town. The bar is simply fabulous, although it closes early. The rooms are tight and I'm not sure about the glass wall between the shower and the room but the views are spectacular.

Room Tip: Do some homework on which side you think you would like to view. Both are great, but different.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,925)

Reviewed October 10, 2013

When I can book at a not insane price, the is my favorite place to stay. I am totally NOT interested in the social scene downstairs, or upstairs—both of which can be full of attitude from both the staff and the clientele. I'm always there on business, so want a good place to shut down. I love the windows and the views. It's so nice to come back from a long day of meetings and work, turn off all the lights and open all the curtains, letting the ambient light of NYC fill the room. So soothing. Food is great - both in-house and in the neighborhood. Being on top of the High Line is a bonus for long walks in decent weather.

Room Tip: Ask for a middle floor. Lower floors can suffer from street noise. Upper floors can suffer from the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights at The Standard on the High Line in NYC. I was really pleased by the location of the hotel in a nice trendy district, with a stunning view and an easy access to the High Line which is an amazing place! My room (deluxe King) was really nicely designed, big enough and really comfortable. The food was great and the staff was quite cheerful and was carrying properly about my needs. It was good value for money and I will definitely recommend it to my friends!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here in September 2013. We're a 50+ semi retired couple and have been to NY a couple of times before and we're looking for a different experience. The reviews of the Standard sounded great so we jumped in.

Our first concern was the reported noise from the roof top night club so we took the advice received on this site and asked for a room on the 9th to 11th floors and received one, through a special request, on the 10th floor. This was an excellent outcome as we heard no noise from above during the week we were there, including Friday and Saturday nights.

The room was good - a good size for NY and, as we upgraded, we had a fantastic view of lower Manhattan and the Hudson River. Great morning and night time views from the wall of glass in the room. Don't be put off by the comments in other reviews as, in our room at least, we had real curtains that we could pull across for privacy, but we enjoyed leaving the curtains open as we turned in to see the skyline and lights down Washington St each night.

We did go up to the roof top lounge one night and enjoyed the fantastic skyline views but avoided the nightclub - just too old for that but were amused each night as we saw the constant stream of young and beautiful people coming and going. Even as we left on our last day at 4:30 am to catch an early flight we were amazed at the activity in the hotel!

Service was unpredictable and we were a little disappointed in the occasional careless attitude we experienced. Having said that, we were totally impressed with the service received from a young concierge, Tim, who arranged 4 dinner bookings for us, including at the popular Locande Verde. Thanks, Tim. The concierge also arranged a car to take us to the airport which was ideal at the early hour we had to leave.

On the down side, we had to ask for more soap and the cleaning staff knocked on our door at about 9 am until we decided to put out the Do Not Disturb sign to allow us to have a good sleep before heading out to discover the delights of lower Manhattan.

The hotel is located over the High Line and is in the very popular Meatpacking District. We loved it there and enjoyed walking through Chelsea, SoHo, Little Italy etc each day. The shopping, cafés and restaurants in these areas are nothing less than excellent. We had so much fun just walking around each day and then dining out at some of the best restaurants we've been to.

The room wasn't inexpensive but it was worth the money for the experience. Go there, if only just once to see for yourself!

Room Tip: If you want a good view but want to void the night club noise, aim for the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent the last night of our 2 week trip to New York at the Standard Highline and the highlights were the amazing view from our rooms and the comfortable beds. We had to book 2 rooms as there was no way an extra bed would fit in any of the rooms, not even the suites. The standard room was aptly described as a "capsule" by another TripAdvisor reviewer. My husband and I stayed in a corner suite which was only slightly larger but considerably more expensive. We were very disappointed with the service often spending half an hour before someone took our order and another half an hour trying to track someone down to sign for the bill. The service in the restaurant (The Standard Bar and Grill) was appalling with the waiter forgetting our requests and leaving us unattended for lengthy periods. The roof top bar is a great place to view the lights of Manhattan but after 11pm the hotel lift will not take you up there and we had to line up outside to gain entry to the lift. I will not stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it as I think it is overpriced for the experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy and earplugs are provided. The view from our son's standard room was better...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank KarinP63
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was really looking forward to our trip to the highline. I was a little nervous because of the mixed reviews. However, I really enjoyed the hotel. We were in a Hudson Studio with views in three different direction: uptown, downtown and the Hudson. We could see the Statute of Liberty, the Freedom Tower, and the Empire State building. Just amazing. I think some of the reviewers with negative comments go to the Highline with the wrong expectations. It is not a luxurious, cushy hotel. It has a different vibe. Its styling is more modern and trendy but that is okay and the décor reflects this modern and minimalist style.

We found the staff to be great, from the valet parkers, to the beautiful and friendly receptionist and to the restaurant staff at the Standard Grill. Room service for breakfast was fast and friendly. We did not have a problem getting into Le Bain, even though we were older than the typical patron. Although it wasn't as wild and crazy as I thought it would be. They should, as other reviewers said, allow hotel guest easier access to the roof top bars. You can get there but you have to go outside and line up on 13th street. That's weird. Same thing trying to get back to your room from the club at night. You have to go down outside and then go through the lobby. I guess they need to control access to the guest room floors but it is still a pain.

Of course the location in the meat packing district is great. Lots of shops, restaurants and places to visit and not too far from midtown or Soho.

There are a couple of criticisms that I have. The main counter/console in the room had wood veneer trim which was splitting and delaminating. They need to spend a little money on the furniture to keep it fresh. I also thought it was odd that the floor in the front dining room of the Standard Grill seemed pretty dirty. Maybe it is stained but it just doesn't look good at all. Clean or replace the floor.

Overall lots of fun.

Room Tip: Our room has views to the North, South and West because it was a Hudson Studio. If I had to pick a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Style here rates way too highly over substance. This Standard is geared more as a night club than a hotel. Even then, unless you intend to spend your time queuing, vogueing, being ignored by staff and partying in equal measure forget it. Guests rate last. Sleep, just above that. The receptionist told a guest checking in to an upper floor that it may be an issue if they were "sensitive to noise": good advice! Those with ears are better served elsewhere. We were on a slightly lower floor and I needed my noise cancelling earbuds for sleeping. On Saturday night, even they were beaten. The top floor bar is spectacular, although near impossible to access. Once inside, the glamorous wait staff will snub you unless they know you or you are more glamorous than them: the room was spoiled by the people in it. The Biergarten had a line which snaked around the corner. On the plus side the concierge staff were pleasant and helpful and the bikes were great if you got one. On check out, I queried a mini bar charge and was told there was no option but to charge it. When I asked about my promised F&B credit, I was told that could not be done although to compensate the receptionist gained the ability to revoke the minibar tab. This confirmed my view that the staff are trained to say no over yes, although they do look good doing it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple