“Good localization, bad service”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #141 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Good localization, bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Very small room, nice view from the empire state! Good restauurant! Nice view from the top! But you dont need to be guest because we went to the boom in the top ad they dont treat us like guest they just ignore us! Never stay here anymore! I came from the setai! Best hotel and best service in new york! They call you by your name!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank ribeirovaz
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear ribeirovaz -

Thanks for the comments! The views are stellar from the Hotel. So sorry you felt ignored by our staff at Top of The Standard! This is an iconic location in the City and we want our guests to all feel as though they are literally on Top of it all. Views, decor, service should all rank as Amazing! Again, my apologies for falling short of your expectations.

Our property is very different than the Setai but does have a great many unique attributes in terms of location and style. It is always wonderful to have so many options when in New York!

All best,

David Lemmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

For our wedding night, we stayed at The Standard, in the Liberty Suite. Everything was beyond awesome!!! The Standard was the most amazing hotel I have ever experienced; every little detail was perfect. When I was checking in, I was told the Liberty Suite was the most romantic room in the hotel, and now I know why! Our entire wedding day was fantastic, and it ended with my beautiful bride and me being in the most romantic room, at the coolest hotel in New York City! After we got into our room, there was an amazing thunder and lightning storm, and we watched it while taking a bubble bath and drinking champagne! There is no way our stay could have been any better, and no way we could have been any happier! Our stay was simply perfect! Now, we are looking forward to next year so that we can go back to the Standard and celebrate our anniversary!

Thank you Standard Hotel for making our stay so very special!

Room Tip: Every room at the Standard is a great room!
New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

After 4 stays at The Standard, I feel I must finally give credit where credit is due. The Standard does not disappoint. If you are looking for some real downtime "off the grid"' consider another hotel (in this case, our go to hotel is the Greenwich for it's understated elegance and low key vibe). But if you are looking to be in the center of the action, The Standard is your place. That being said, The Standard is a place that could take itself too seriously and it could be rife with attitude but it just isn't. Every staff member is friendly, helpful and professional; when they walk by you, they never fail to acknowledge you and say hello from the moment you arrive. (On that note, a special mention is in order for Jeffrey at the front desk, Robert (breakfast), Pamela (lunch), Craig (dinner) at the Standard Grille and the housekeeping staff on the 13th floor. If you're thinking of staying in NYC, it's probably for all that NY has to offer, but you could seriously never leave the property and feel like you had a complete vacation even if it's just an overnight stay. The Standard is a feast for the senses, whimsical (the kissing dog salt and pepper shakers, the waitstaff uniforms, the elevators, etc.) in a Disneyesque (for adults) way. The Top of the Standard is easily the most glamorous room in Manhattan with its decor, view and the lovely Ruben Chappelle designed dresses the servers wear. The Plaza is great for hanging out and people watching, especially when it becomes an ice rink in the winter (this is a great place to come in January when the winter doldrums set in and you need a "pick-me-up"; rates are even usually lower at that time, too!) The Living Room is fun to have one last drink before heading up to the room. The rooms have spectacular views are creatively designed and are comfortable and clean. Our favorite is the Liberty Corner King (we've never stayed in a regular room but I've peeked in and they look nice) for its space and views. And if you want to splurge for a special occasion, book the Hudson Studio Suite (our last stay) but be forewarned it's not for the faint of heart-the tub and shower are in the middle of the room but WOW-it's spectacular, oh, the views! I really can't say enough good things about The Standard. Andre Balazs you are a genius. I did note that a reviewer said it could be noisy and I will say it IS noisy because you can really hear the action on the street so if that bothers you (not me), you might want to reconsider. In my opinion, that would be a mistake. You would miss out on all The Standard has to offer.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I live in New York and I stop by the rooftop bar for a midday cocktail/after work drink a fair amount. Drink prices are a little steep, but its a great place to bring a friend from out of town for a casual drink. Beautiful views of the Hudson River and the NJ metropolitan skyline. During the day its usually pretty laid back and enjoyable, at night its a little more loungey and more of a smoker's escape for the club below.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank A M
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I liked this hotel, and would like to visit again at some point. The public areas, restaurants and lounges are very good, beautifully decorated with interesting and tasty offerings. Our room really should be called a capsule -- and is really designed for people who are busy enjoying the shopping and night life and not spending more than the minimum amount of time in the room. Not much room to move. The bathtub is couple sized and the view from the tub of the New York skyline makes for a memorable experience. There is no shower enclosure, so water goes all over the bathroom - personal injury lawyers must have a field day! Aside from the small size, which for a small amount of time is survivable my only knock was the bed and TV placement. The bed is very low and up against the wall. One partner has to crawl over the other to get out - which can have its upsides. Their is a generous flat screen TV at the foot of the bed, but it blocks the stunning views of New York, which is really too bad.

The location is the main reason to visit this hotel. Built over the High Line linear park, there is great shopping, dining, and clubs are an easy stumble from the hotel.. Loved the area a lot.

I don't have much to say on the subject of service, we generally don't make too many demands. We did ask for a late check-out which was easily granted and made our schedule a little less hectic - so much appreciated by me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

First time at The Standard High Line, although we've stayed at the East Village location before. Kind staff allowed us to check in at 5 am after a brutal transglobal flight -- we were delighted by this gesture and by the spectacular view that awaited. The room is absolutely perfect: while on the small side, each centimeter is well-designed, with those floor-to-ceiling windows that make the cost worthwhile. Infused with light, the room is both retro and modern. Bed and linens were supremely comfortable, and the perspective on the river, the High Line, and the city just can't be beat. Best bathtub ever, roomy and with louver wooden blinds for privacy or looking out, just added to the ambiance. Only sour note is the floor of the shower/ sink/ tub room, which had a definite drainage problem. But aside from that? From staff to amenities and the divine Grill, a really great hotel which I look forward to returning to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river; the smaller ones are fine for this and certainly roomy enou...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was referred to The Standard by a co-worker who had nothing but rave reviews. I was a little nervous because I don't consider myself super trendy or chic, but I thought I should give it a go. Upon entering the hotel, I didn't feel quite as out-of-place as I thought I would. The front desk staff was so accommodating and made me feel so welcome. I am an avid theater-goer and I was extremely impressed with how knowledgable Tim at the concierge desk was. My favorite part was swapping reviews with him the next morning! He went above and beyond by recommending pre/post theater restaurants and always asking if I needed anything else. His service was exceptional and really enhanced my trip to NYC. I also loved the beer garden and who doesn't enjoy scanning the NY skyline from their bathtub?! Thanks Standard -- I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012