“WOULDN'T RECCOMMEND THIS HOTEL..........”
Review of 36 Hudson Hotel

36 Hudson Hotel
Ranked #360 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Cleanliness of rooms leaves a lot to be desired (bathroom dirty and room dusty on arrival). Some staff were unhelpful, to the point of being rude (there were also a couple of lovely staff that were very helpful). Requests for top ups of essential items such as toilet paper were forgotten (until we reminded them for the 3rd time). Outside telephone line didn't work one night - the staff member on reception that particular night said she would find out what was happening about fixing it and never called us back to help manually patch through an outside line (a couple of nights later we tried again and the same girl on reception that checked us in was able to help - she was one of the nice staff members that knew what she was doing!). The location of the accommodation is a fair way off the beaten track and not really in the best part of town. Wi-fi didn't work above the 3rd floor. Walls are paper thin, so if you have noisy neghbours, you are out of luck, rooms are tiny (what do you expect in NYC).......and the list goes on! My friend and her husband also stayed at the hotel at the same time we did and their experience was much the same. Spending my 30th Birthday in New York was fantastic and I would go back in a heartbeat - I just won't be staying at the GEM hotel - Midtown West.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank manyhappydays
AshleyGrogg, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at The GEM Hotel Midtown West. We strive to exceed guest expectations during each stay, however during your stay we did not live up to your expectations. I have followed up with the parties involved and have used your feedback to improve our service. I would love the opportunity to make this right and would like to discuss options with you. I can be reached via phone at 212-967-7206 or email at agrogg@thegemhotel.com.

Ashley Grogg

Reviewed May 13, 2010

Plenty of 1 star hotels give better treatment than this Dive. I am horrified by the treatment they offer from thier front desk to management. A VERY poor run hotel, that treats guests like they are worthless. Just an outlet to suck money from. I doubt anyone will ever stay here with the service and RUDE peole they have working there. It is a joke. Stay away from this place. HORRIBLE.

I want my money back, and you know who I am.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Pola43
AshleyGrogg, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at The GEM Hotel Midtown West. We strive to exceed guest expectations during each stay, however during your stay we did not live up to your expectations. I would like to discuss the issues you experienced with you in more detail and I can be reached via phone at 212-967-7206 or email at agrogg@thegemhotel.com. I look forward to speaking to you about your stay.

Ashley Grogg

Reviewed May 11, 2010

Cleaniness: The room appeared to be clean at first glance. Beds were made daily except the first night that we arrived, we found oreo cookies under the bed near the nightstand and there were crumbs. They were still there our last night. (We stayed for 4 nights)

Location: 5 minute walk to lots of food and Penn Station so easy access to the subway. Close to Times Square

Rooms: The decor of the rooms were nice. The beds were extremely comfortable but the TV was extremely difficult to work (I have never had so much trouble trying to get a TV to work before) It worked 1 out of the 4 nights we were there. We tried calling down to front desk but they were not particularly helpful. Free Wi-Fi was nice but for some reason we had trouble with connecting to ours. We called down to front desk twice. Once they had tech support call us back and we eventually got it to work. It stopped working again the next day, called down to front desk and they gave us the number to call tech support ourselves. The fan in the bathroom did not work so it left the room quite steamy after a shower.

Service: Front desk was fairly pleasant. Greeted us when we came in.

Value: We got a deal through quikbook

Sleep quality: the walls are very thin but luckily our neighbours were quiet at night.

If I couldn't find any other hotels at this price point I would go back but if I could, I don't think I would.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayoheewhy
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We spent 4 nights at the GEM Midtown West, end of april. Considering the price we payed I was a little bit disappointed with the scale of the hotel (no proper lounge, no bar), but that seems to be in line with NY rates. The rooms are small, but clean and quiet and beds are made up every day. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Unfortunately they don't serve breakfast. Wifi for free is available, but we didn't use it. Location is not bad, although the 5 minute walk back from the nearest subway station is rather depressing and unattractive. The neighborhood itself however seems safe.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This is a basic but perfectly adequate little hotel in a convenient location, for about the best price you'll get in this area of Manhattan. The staff are a little distant, it's true, but courteous enough. Some have complained about the area, but we really couldn't find much wrong with it. It never once felt threatening. We walked back even at night. Across the way is a black church/community centre, not exactly a den of iniquity. The location is good - you're not too far from anything. The subway is close by. We didn't take breakfast there, but there's a wide range of diners and bars close by where you get something to eat.

I must specifically respond to one reviewer who states: "You must cross the very busy highway". Well, yes, there's a road. There are traffic lights. You cross it. What's the big deal? Further: "it is a very, very dirty, gritty, dusty, trashy, area with little pedestrian traffic." We didn't find the area especially dirty, dusty or trashy. It's not one of Manhattan's exclusive corners, but it's not unpleasant at all, at least not when we were there. Finally: "There is no eating or drinking establishment nearby and no place to comfortably linger outside the hotel". It depends what you define as "nearby". Three minutes' walk up the road takes you to a busy area with diners, bars, shop and fast food outlets. There are a couple of Irish bars five minutes away (at most), plus the diner where we had breakfast. I'm not sure if some people are unaccustomed to the idea of walking more than ten metres. I can't think of any other reason for this particular complaint.

The free wifi came in handy because we took advantage of the cheap dollar to buy a laptop!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2010

The hotel room was very small and stuffy as for the location it was not that bad it was located in midtown but location was not very close to the 5th avenue. We got a good deal on the price 150$/night but it was just a promotion for back to school, i think the real price is about 250$-300$ a night which i think is expensive for this small hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2010

horrible experience rude unprofessional staff all across the board from front desk clerk to general manager. walked in inquiring the info .i asked to use the bathroom was told "no". ask to speak to the manager. the front desk girl who claimed to be a manager refused to give her name and the name of general manager. she told me to leave the premises and called the police . this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. spoke to general manager get the same treatment rude and unprofessional. i told her that i wanted to file the formal complaint she hang up on me.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple