“Great Price, Great Hotel”
Review of 36 Hudson Hotel

36 Hudson Hotel
Ranked #361 of 468 Hotels in New York City
EastCoast
“Great Price, Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Loved this hotel. Everything you needed in a clean, simple room. The desk staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. Parking was a little bit of a pain, but it's NYC! So close to everything. It's truly a 'Gem'.

• Liked — All you need in a very clean room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston
Reviewed August 28, 2008

A great place to stay. Friendly and accommodating staff. A moderately short walk from Penn. Station/Madison Sq. Garden made it convenient. Also convenient to subway at 34th and 8th that will take you everywhere you want to go. Rooms are extremely clean and new. Overall a great deal. I plan to return on my next trip...

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
North Bay
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Got a great price from Expedia -really enjoyed our stay. While the room was small (as are all of them in NY), it was a great stay. The beds and the bedding were really nice, very clean room. The staff was super friendly; we knew them all by name by the end of the week. They were very helpful.
The location is great too. Short walk to Times Square. There is an awesome diner just a couple of blocks away that we ate at all the time.
A nice small hotel in the big city.

Stayed March 2008
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I will start out by saying I loved our STAY at the hotel.

I apologize that this was so long winded, but the details are important. I want to make sure that no one else gets treatment like we did. The hotel was wonderful, but I’m not sure it was worth all the stress it has caused.

Our original plans had us staying in this hotel for 4 days, because of an amazing rate we had found through Hotels.com, and then switching to a different hotel for the remaining 5 days of our trip. Therein started the money problems. I received a letter from the Gem Hotel two weeks before our check-in date saying that the pricing we had been quoted was incorrect, and would not be honored. I of course panicked as there was no way I would be able to find another hotel anywhere near our price range on such short notice (we were staying over the 4th of July weekend). I was greatly relieved when the manager offered me a rate that was acceptable for both of us. At this time I informed the manager (Javier) that although the first day of our reservation was the 2nd we would not actually be arriving in New York until early on the 3rd, but I wanted to ensure that we would be able to check in as soon as we got to the hotel since we were traveling across the country. He said he would make a note of this and everything would be fine. Javier then informed me that he would be canceling my reservation with Hotels.com, and booking the reservation with the hotel directly in order to give me the correct rate; my refund was supposed to be in my account by the end of the week, it was not. Frantic (keep in mind we’re now 1 week away from our check-in date) I called for Javier, left several messages, and 4 days later received a returned call. Javier eased my worries by saying that he did cancel the reservation with Hotels.com, and my reservation with the hotel still stood. At this time I again reiterated that we would be checking in early on the 3rd (I was so paranoid about being stranded with no hotel) and he said that he did have this noted. He also said he would contact Hotels.com to find out about my refund, and would call me back. This first phone call was the ONLY one that Javier made to me; every other time we spoke was because I called him. The day we left for New York I still did not have my refund, but I figured since I was going directly to the hotel we could sort things out there. We got to the hotel tried to check in, and was told no, that we did not have a reservation because we did not check in on the 2nd, and there were notes that said I had to check in on the 2nd or my reservation would be canceled. After explaining everything to Vanessa, she booked our room at the promised price.

The hotel itself was wonderful. The room small, but I expected that. The AC was great, loved the flat screen TV on the wall, the bed was comfy, the water pressure not so great, but I learned why on one of our tour buses. The location was perfect, we walked practically everywhere! We in fact loved it so much that we decided to stay in the hotel for the entire duration of our vacation. We made another reservation with Margarita (I’m spelling it wrong and I am so sorry on that) she quoted us the rate that was more than what we were paying for the first 4 nights, but again we loved it so much that it was worth it. When we checked in with Vanessa for the remainder of our stay, she confirmed the same rates that Margarita had given us (and kept us in the same room so we didn’t have to pack again, to unpack, thank you for that!). During all of this I had still not received my refund that had been promised by Javier, I had even spoken with him directly, he said he would call me back, and he did not, ever.

Come check out day of our wonderful New York vacation, and the amount they try to charge us is $300 more than what we had been quoted. We were told that we had no choice, they had to charge the amount due, even if it was incorrect and deal with the manager directly (knowing how well this has worked out in the past, since I still do not have a refund at this time, we try to find another way) the clerk (sadly I did not get his name, but I really want to say Scott) says that if we come back to speak to the person who made the reservation something can be done at that time. So we wait, come back to the hotel to speak with the person, and she says that she can’t do anything and we have to speak to Javier. We leave, frustrated beyond belief. Our trip ended on such an unhappy note, it did not ruin it by any means, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

We get back home, Margarita calls me, tells me that Javier approved the refund of the difference of what we were told, and what we were charged, and we should see the credit by the end of the week. Friday rolls around, no refund. The following Monday we call, speak to Javier, who tries to say that he will issue the refund, but it will only be $75 because of taxes, and things. Did you ever hear of taxes being $225? For the 5 days the taxes only came out to $76!

So here we are 6 weeks after the fiasco started with the incorrect rates published at hotels.com (and every other booking website available, because trust me, I checked them all before booking) and still no refund.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Our treatment regarding rates, and refunds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
AshleyGrogg, Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2008
I want to apologize for the lack of communication with this issue. As I understand completely the frustration that you must have encountered. One of the problems with working with a third party is that sometimes it does take longer for refunds to be issued as we have to go through more channels. Again I am very sorry for the lack of communication on our part and I hope everything has been resolved.
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Loved my stay. Customer service staff was great. they reccomended places to go out, clubing and for dinner, for which they even gave us internet print outs. Rooms where cozy, clean, smelled good and no problems found. A little walk from everything, made everything close or just a 5 dollar cab ride. Definitely an good expereince for my entire group (8). We rented two rooms for a 5 day "weekend". Would stay again and have recomended to all friends.

• Liked — Custumer service and modern look, really cozy
  • Disliked — might be little small for 4 people in the room
  • Stayed May 2008
Louisville, KY
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We do not like to spend a lot for hotels, but we demand certain features, and the Gem delivered. I was worried before we arrived, but in the end we had no worries and few regrets. The staff was courteous and helpful; the rooms were small but they were clean and well maintained. The room looked almost identical to the one pictured in other reviews (we forgot our camera). The quality of the mattress, bed linens, and pillows was more than adequate.
We were travelling with two other couples and made their reservations for them. We were booked into rooms 302, 402, and 502. All these were fine. We had no sound invasion from other rooms except in the bathroom, where voices from other rooms could be heard thru the ventilation system. The bath/shower was clean, worked well, had nice thick towels, complimentary toiletries. All very satisfactory.
A couple items detracted - the air conditioning unit was noisy (but effective), and the location is pretty much out of the way, and near a very busy intersection that is an entrance/exit to the Lincoln Tunnel.

• Liked — Cleanliness, quality bed linens and towels, TV, front desk service
  • Disliked — Noisy A/C unit; out of the way location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We needed a place to stay in the Soho/ Tribeca area for under $300 and this hotel did the trick. Rooms seem to have been recently updated, ours was a 2 double beds for 3 adults. Room is small, (door opens to bed) but there is desk for storage as well a pullout under the bed. (large suitcases would be tough for room). Also, there is not a "closet" but a mirror unit that has about 10 hangers w/in unit to hang clothes.
THe beds are very comfy w/ big pillows. Room clean as well as bathroom which had shampoo, creame, mouthwash.
Hotel staff friendly. Ray's pizza down the street for yummy slice.
Area is convenient to area's stores for shopping & dining.
The word "clarion" is not on the building, it states "the gem hotel" on the outside. Also, there are steps to go up to the small reception area, but there is a 1 person ADA elavator if needed.
This is perfect for a short stay and you want a clean, inexpensive (nyc prices), well located hotel. I would stay again.

• Liked — clean, comfy beds, pillow top type
  • Disliked — a little noisy from the street , but its the city that never sleeps
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple