“Conveniently located, close to food and shopping”
Review of 36 Hudson Hotel

36 Hudson Hotel
Ranked #359 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
“Conveniently located, close to food and shopping”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at The GEM Hotel Midtown West for 2 weeks recently. The hotel was in a very convenient location on W 36th St, close to Penn Station and bus services. Macy's and the Herald Square shopping area are less than 15 minutes away on foot. Times Square is one subway stop away or about 15-20 mins on foot. During our trip, we walked to most places as it really is easy to get around Midtown on foot, even more convenient than taking the subway, imo!

There are also numerous dining options in the W 34th-40th St & 8th-10th Ave area ranging from diners, delis, pizzerias, Thai/Japanese cuisine, etc. I recommend Skylight Diner and Tabata Noodle Restaurant!

Part of my trip included attending the New York Comic Con at the Javits Center, a 5-min walk away from the hotel, which was a huge deciding factor in choosing this hotel.

The hotel staff are very friendly and always ready to help. We had a problem with the keycard lock one day, so the concierge arranged for us to be moved to another room. They helped us move our luggage and even refunded 50% of the room charge for the night.

The housekeeping staff also did a very good job of keeping the rooms clean. Although the rooms are small, the king room was comfortable enough for 2 people on a 2-week stay.

Thank you so much for a very comfortable stay! I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank desi8517
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Desi8517,
Thank you so much for your review and for choosing us. I’m glad to hear that you were able to take in some of the great eateries we have near us. If you happen to be staying with us again for such a long period of time we have a brand new gourmet grocery that just opened up around the corner from us. I am sorry that you had difficulties with your lock but I see my wonderful team was able to assist you. Again thanks for staying with us and for your review.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Miami
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This hotel is basic and well priced. The rooms are small even by Manhattan standards but are well designed, immaculately clean and mine was quite quiet. The staff at the front desk were efficient and courteous. The location is a bit off the beaten track but of no concern. In fact, everything I needed (Penn Station, Restaurant Row) were in easy walking distance. I definitely intend to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MiamiGringo
Dear MiamiGringo,
Thanks for your review. Next time you’re here be sure to ask anyone at the front desk about some of the new restaurants that have opened in the area and some new bars too. We are a block of the beaten track but that’s what makes it so quiet. When you call in to reserve your room be sure to have us pull up your previous reservation so we may offer to you a returning guest discount. Once again thanks for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a smashing stay. The rooms are small, but they have everything you need and are clean and comfortable. The location is ideal...10 mins walk from Times Square but quiet. Handy petrol station full of yellow cabs round the corner and a lovely little coffee shop. The staff were helpful and friendly but we didn't speak much to them since we had no problems!! Will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AllieA_11
Dear Allie_11,
Thank you for finding our Gem. We appreciate the time you took out of your day for your review as well. I’m happy to hear that you found the coffee shop and gas station. Did you happen to see that inside the gas station was a Dunkin Doughnuts? Come out to stay with us during Spring and summer and there is a bike rental spot just a block away from us to grab a bike and see our great city from a different perspective. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Laurel, Nebraska
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Like most New York hotel rooms, the room was not very big. However, it was a nice room, air worked well and shower was hot. It is just a couple of blocks from the Javits Center where our work convention was and just a couple blocks away from the subway to get around Manhattan. Easy walk to Time Square as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear JKKP78,
Thank you for choosing us on your most recent stay to NYC. Yes we are very close to the Javitz Center, just a block away. We are also just 4 blocks away from Penn Station and the NYC train stations. If you happen to drive in next time when you stay with us be sure to use the garage located across the street from The Gem Midtown during your stay and be sure to have us validate the ticket so you may receive the discounted parking. Thanks again for staying with us and for your review. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed as a female traveler on my own and was certainly taken care of. Everything I needed they could help me with and the service was absolutely excellent. I needed a cab on my morning of checkout to JFK and the man at reception got me one for exactly when I needed it and also carried all my bags out for me. While the room was quite small it was extremely clean and with modern furbishings and I was provided with 2 large bottles of water - complimentary. Well located with cabs always around and close enough to walk to a few subway stations. Overall I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank alexvmaxwell
Canberra
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The gem is a small hotel in the middle of chelsea. Small rooms for american standards but this is new york so the standards are more like tokyo or hong kong.
However the gem does not have any cable. But with the quality of tv these days it is no great lost.

• Stayed September 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at The GEM Hotel Midtown West during New York Fashion Week for the second time. The hotel is perfectly sized, modest but not quaint.The lobby is small but well thought-out, with a charming outdoor entrance featuring a rock garden, seating and sculptures.

The staff is friendly. We never arrived or departed without a smile and a hello, and often a polite note: "Please let me know if I can do anything for you during your stay.". I fell in girl-crush love with their day-time attendant who had the cutest ombre bob and a genuine smile. She really made our stay better! The other attendants were just as outstanding, and the Manager Lawrence is extremely accommodating, despite his busy schedule.

Our room has been to scale for NYC both times. It is infinitely more enjoyable than the first hotel we stayed in during New York Fashion - much larger, with a better staff. We had enough room for both of us to spread out without feeling cramped. A wardrobe made it easy to unpack my clothing and hide my suitcases on top, meaning more surface area for us to enjoy our room. After a night out, our friend crashed with us comfortably and the hotel staff did not fuss.

The bathrooms were clean with robes provided (another first for NYC for us!). While the hotel works hard to sustain its resources, water included, they happily replaced our towels daily. Mouthwash and lotion (my favorite hotel body lotion!) is provided for convenience, as well as shower gel and shampoo.

Our view was a combination of the river (just a sliver!), lovely green rooftops and the interesting buildings around us.

While the hotel is not situated on a busy street, it's just one block away from shopping, great ethnic food and public transportation. More importantly though, this hotel is perfectly centrally located! You're blocks away from Times Square for the touristy types, and close to everything for the business travelers.

I strongly suggest this hotel for families, business travelers and groups of friends.

I will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room just yet! Our room was on a higher floor this time and seemed slightly...