“Great location, small but lovely rooms”
Review of 36 Hudson Hotel

36 Hudson Hotel
Ranked #359 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had a smashing stay. The rooms are small, but they have everything you need and are clean and comfortable. The location is ideal...10 mins walk from Times Square but quiet. Handy petrol station full of yellow cabs round the corner and a lovely little coffee shop. The staff were helpful and friendly but we didn't speak much to them since we had no problems!! Will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AllieA_11
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Allie_11,
Thank you for finding our Gem. We appreciate the time you took out of your day for your review as well. I’m happy to hear that you found the coffee shop and gas station. Did you happen to see that inside the gas station was a Dunkin Doughnuts? Come out to stay with us during Spring and summer and there is a bike rental spot just a block away from us to grab a bike and see our great city from a different perspective. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Warmest Regards
James L
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Like most New York hotel rooms, the room was not very big. However, it was a nice room, air worked well and shower was hot. It is just a couple of blocks from the Javits Center where our work convention was and just a couple blocks away from the subway to get around Manhattan. Easy walk to Time Square as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear JKKP78,
Thank you for choosing us on your most recent stay to NYC. Yes we are very close to the Javitz Center, just a block away. We are also just 4 blocks away from Penn Station and the NYC train stations. If you happen to drive in next time when you stay with us be sure to use the garage located across the street from The Gem Midtown during your stay and be sure to have us validate the ticket so you may receive the discounted parking. Thanks again for staying with us and for your review. We hope to see you in the future.

Warmest Regards
James L
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed as a female traveler on my own and was certainly taken care of. Everything I needed they could help me with and the service was absolutely excellent. I needed a cab on my morning of checkout to JFK and the man at reception got me one for exactly when I needed it and also carried all my bags out for me. While the room was quite small it was extremely clean and with modern furbishings and I was provided with 2 large bottles of water - complimentary. Well located with cabs always around and close enough to walk to a few subway stations. Overall I would absolutely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank alexvmaxwell
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The gem is a small hotel in the middle of chelsea. Small rooms for american standards but this is new york so the standards are more like tokyo or hong kong.
However the gem does not have any cable. But with the quality of tv these days it is no great lost.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently stayed at The GEM Hotel Midtown West during New York Fashion Week for the second time. The hotel is perfectly sized, modest but not quaint.The lobby is small but well thought-out, with a charming outdoor entrance featuring a rock garden, seating and sculptures.

The staff is friendly. We never arrived or departed without a smile and a hello, and often a polite note: "Please let me know if I can do anything for you during your stay.". I fell in girl-crush love with their day-time attendant who had the cutest ombre bob and a genuine smile. She really made our stay better! The other attendants were just as outstanding, and the Manager Lawrence is extremely accommodating, despite his busy schedule.

Our room has been to scale for NYC both times. It is infinitely more enjoyable than the first hotel we stayed in during New York Fashion - much larger, with a better staff. We had enough room for both of us to spread out without feeling cramped. A wardrobe made it easy to unpack my clothing and hide my suitcases on top, meaning more surface area for us to enjoy our room. After a night out, our friend crashed with us comfortably and the hotel staff did not fuss.

The bathrooms were clean with robes provided (another first for NYC for us!). While the hotel works hard to sustain its resources, water included, they happily replaced our towels daily. Mouthwash and lotion (my favorite hotel body lotion!) is provided for convenience, as well as shower gel and shampoo.

Our view was a combination of the river (just a sliver!), lovely green rooftops and the interesting buildings around us.

While the hotel is not situated on a busy street, it's just one block away from shopping, great ethnic food and public transportation. More importantly though, this hotel is perfectly centrally located! You're blocks away from Times Square for the touristy types, and close to everything for the business travelers.

I strongly suggest this hotel for families, business travelers and groups of friends.

I will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room just yet! Our room was on a higher floor this time and seemed slightly...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The room is small but it's clean with everything you need as a business traveler. One of the best values in this area of Manhattan. Avoid the x01 rooms, as they are right next to the elevator and you will hear the elevator door open every time it stops on your floor. The Cafe Grind - just up the street - is a great place for coffee (like a Starbuck's). The Gem participates in the Choice Hotels program.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank oceanpalace
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had mistakingly made my reservation for the previous day and when I arrived the following day the best they could give me is a $200.00 room and they kept the $250 from the previous night. The least they could have done was give me a phone call and asked if I was staying or not. Plus Choice privileges wouldn't even give me the points for the stay even though I paid for it. They said it was a no show but I paid for the room so why shouldn't I get the points??? Very petty of them.

• Stayed: August 2013
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear ssurita ,
I want to extend my sincere apologies in regards to your reservation with us at The GEM Hotel Midtown West. I like to try and make up to you, if you would kindly please forward me your Choice Privilege number I will go ahead and reward you those points for the reservation. You can forward me your number at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com. If you should have any question for me, please feel free to contact me.
Lawrence Hou