“Clean and Okay location but very cramped and noisy”
Review of 36 Hudson Hotel

36 Hudson Hotel
Ranked #359 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The GEM was clean and a 10 minute walk from Times Square - but the room I had (104) was very cramped (had a hard time even sitting in the desk), and it was located next to both the front desk and the stairs, I could hear customers, phones ringing and the heavy door to the stairs slamming throughout the stay. It was cheap, and clean but I'd rather stay somewhere else next time I'm in Manhattan

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear ScientificLeader,
I like to thank you for choosing the Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC. We like to extend our apology to you for not meeting your expectations. We hope that you decide to give us another opportuntiy not for the size of our rooms but for the committment of service that each of our guest recieves during their stay. Thank you again and we hope to see you again, please use LGEMR if you should give us a second opportunity.

There are newer reviews for 36 Hudson Hotel

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Thank god i only had to stay here for 2 nights. Way too far and too sketchy of a neighborhood. Would pay more per night for a closer and nicer hotel any day of the week. Don't stay here if your claustrophobic rooms are about 400 square feet.

• Stayed: October 2012
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear G_star09,
Thank you for having chosen the Gem Hotel Midtown West during you most recent visit to NYC. We are sorry that the accomodations didn't meet your needs and expectations. The neighborhood is part residetial and commercial and has changed very much in the last few year. Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen are expanding into the neighborhood. I hope that you will give us the opportunity again in the future. Please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com, i look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Not a place I would recommend for first timers on a visit to New York City! My Mum and I came on a trip and paid in advance for a 4 night stay at the Gem Hotel, after having stayed in a very comfortable hotel in Boston. We stayed in a twin bedded room and the best thing I can say about it is that the room was very clean. It was way too small and cramped for 2 people travelling with luggage - we in fact had to sleep with a suitcase on one bed as there was no room for it anywhere else in the room. The wardrobe was of a size suitable for one person on a 2 day trip. The hotel has no facilities at all - not even a coffee shop, restaurant, bar or in fact anywhere to sit down apart from on the bed in your room. There were no brochures or information at Reception regarding local tourist attractions, and the location was really not very pleasant or interesting. After one disappointing night there, we cut our losses (had to forfeit the payment for the other 3 nights), and found a fabulous hotel with a huge twin room and excellent facilities in a great location on the Avenue of the Americas for only a slightly higher price!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Maria M,
Thank you for having chosen the Gem Hotel Midtown West during you most recent visit to NYC. I like to take the opportunity to offer my apology to you and your mother for not exceeding your over all expectations. I hope that you will give me the opportunity to discuss with you some way that I can make up your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me at midtown.gm@thegemhotel.com, I would really look forward hearing from you.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel was about 3 block from the city centre. So a little walk to the hotel, otherwise taxi's if you're rushing.
Hotel was lovely and clean, Service was great.
Two people shared a dble room. Rooms a little small but otherwise perfect. Beds comfortable. Clean bathrooms. Everything supplied.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Michelle R,
Thank you for having choosing the Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC. We are so delighted that your stay was pleasant and memorable. We are committed to guest satisfaction. Your review and comments are welcomed as a guage to measure our level of service. We like to thank you for taking the time to write the review and hope that on your next return visit that you us LGEMR. Thank you again

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have stayed in several different hotels in Manhattan and this was the best overall; value, cleanliness, friendly staff, etc. It was a little bit of a walk to the subway, but we didn't mind. The rooms are small, just a little bigger than a cabin on a cruise ship. I have paid more money for some scary motels in the City.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear lmullet,
Thank you for choosing the Gem Hotel Midtown West during your most recent visit to NYC, We are so thrilled that you had a wonderful stay. Your comments an review shows that we are heading in the right direction. To thank you for taking the time to post a review and please use LGEMR for your next return visit.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We totally enjoyed our time at the The Gem. The staff was very friendly. The rooms, although small, were nice, clean and well appointed for the size. I love the little extras in the room including the "relax" rock, the vial of lavender scent and that very unique clock radio that took my iPod. The location was both good and bad. It is close to Javits Center and the really cool High Line park. But, you also have to walk numerous blocks from the subway, and not all through a great neighborhood. But, I stayed there with my sister, and we walked home at night feeling just fine. I guess the real question is, would I stay at the Gem again? Answer: heck, yeah!

Room Tip: there are only 4-5 rooms on a floor, so I would say any room is great.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Janet1967,
Thank you for staying at the Gem Hotel Midtown West durig your most recent trip to NYC with your sister. We are so delighted that your stay with us was everythig you hoped for when choosing your hotel. Your reveiw and comments are so very much appreciated and welcoming. We greatly look forward to your next stay, please mention LGEMR as THANK YOU .

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our family of 3 stayed at GEM Midtown for 11 days and we enjoyed our stay. We were out exploring for most of the day and the most important thing to us was clean, comfy beds, location and friendly staff. Staff is incredibly friendly and really made our stay memorable. We had a room on the 10th floor, 2 double beds, mini fridge (which I requested), microwave, Wolfgang Puck coffee, wonderful tea and AC that worked perfectly. Room was small but manageable, linen was clean and replaced only when you place the rock on the bed as hotel is into environment. However, I was surprised that there was no blue bin in the room for recycling? They need to do something about Wi Fi as this was the only frustration I experienced. Our room was in the corner of the building, top floor and I wasted hours and hours trying to connect. Once you go downstairs connection was perfect. I was able to connect to free Wall Street Journal Wi Fi more often than to hotel's own set up. I loved the benches by the entrance to hotel, it was perfect for my morning coffee and smokers will appreciate it. Location is somewhat off as Lincoln tunnel is there, so there's a big intersection to cross, but once you do, you're on 9th Ave which has tons of restaurants, coffee shops, laundry etc. Venture towards the 10th Ave and check out Coffee Grind, great coffee place. Across the street is a drugstore, next to it little grocery store where you could get pastries, sandwiches, drinks etc. We liked the location, lots to explore around on 35th and 34th streets. There's a gas station around the corner with lots of taxis at all times and this was a huge convenience. If we slept in longer and cleaning ladies were gone for the day, we would advise front desk person of this and our room would be clean. Staff really went out of their way to assist us and make us feel welcome. If we ever come back to NYC I would stay here again

Room Tip: Room 1010 was quiet, clean
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank skeletoncrew
General M, General Manager at 36 Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear skeletoncrew,
Thank you for having chosen the Gem Hotel Midtown West during your visit to NYC. We are so extremely happy that your stay was everything you hoped for when making your hotel reservations. Your reveiw and comments mean a great deal to us to guage our performance and committment to allof our guests. Our WiFi is currently being changed to a much faster fiber optic line and we hope that you get to experience that on your return visit. The Gem is ideally located in an up and coming neighborhood wtih many changes to come. In appreciation for taking the time to post a reveiw, please use "LGEMR" on your return trip.