“Hot restaurant - more like muggy restaurant”
Review of Corton - CLOSED

Corton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Between Walker and White Streets
Transit: Number 1 to Franklin Street. Walk one block north on West Broadway. -OR- A / E train to Canal. Exit onto West Broadway (south side of Canal Street). Walk one block south on West Broadway. Corton, located at 239 West Broadway, is between Walker and White Streets on the left hand side of the street.
Description: Located in the heart of the Tribeca neighbourhood, Corton is a partnership between renowned restaurateur Drew Nieporent and Chef Paul Liebrandt, whose contemporary French menu melds classic French cuisine with a modern approach to ingredients and technique. Fresh, intense flavours bring the three-course prix fixe and tasting menus to life, with highlights including the Maine Lobster, Elysian Fields Farm Lamb and Turbot. Named for the largest area of Grand Cru in Burgundy, it is no surprise that the restaurant showcases an extensive selection of Corton wines, accompanying a list of world-class wines to perfectly complement your meal. Situated in the same building previously occupied by the well-respected Montrachet for over 20 years, the modest and minimalist look of Corton creates an intimate and warm atmosphere throughout. Surrounded by vine and leaf embossed walls and vaulted ceilings, the serene dining room entices you to dine in the comfort of natural-toned chairs and inviting banquettes.
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I showed up for a dinner with a friend and it was clear as soon as we sat down that the restaurant was hotter than the muggy nyc streets on a late June afternoon. Clearly the air conditioner was broken, but I guess the staff was well trained to ignore it and not even apologize for it. People were wiping their brows throughout the night and I even saw a woman pour water down her dress!

The food was quite complex. It's only three days after my meal and I can't even remember what I ate. I think simpler dishes with finer ingredients might be the way to go just so it leaves a greater impression with guests. I do remember the foam. Lots of foam. Foam in the soup. Foam on the fish. Foam in the dessert.

I've been to about a dozen tasting menu restaurants in nyc, and although this restaurant was good, it's hard to compare to those with a tighter menu and air conditioning!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The atmosphere is quite intimate and we liked that. We were seated at a wonderful table in the corner, which was romantic.

If you go to this restaurant, be prepared to order only from the tasting menus. There are no a la carte options so you have to be willing to eat 7 courses. At least they are small plates, but it is still 7 courses. We had the seafood one and a nice bottle of champagne. The wine list was excellent and we had a small grower champagne, which is a wonderful find. The food was quite good. The biggest problem we had was that the courses tended to come on multiple plates instead of plates with divisions or multiple cups on a single plate. Our table got a little crowded at several points during the meal. To me, the service was very good, but the multiple plates were distracting, especially with the movement of things on the table, and that has to be a deduction during a romantic meal.

This restaurant would be excellent in any other city, but since New York has some fantastic French restaurants, it is average here.

If you want a neighborhood restaurant in TriBeCa, this is one of the best in the area, it is quiet and intimate, so is worth being on the list. Just not the best yet.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Food excellent –in terms of taste and innovation and presentation. We had the extensive tasting menu and thoroughly enjoyed most of the courses and felt the food was worth the $150 tasting menu price. Each course was artistically presented as we had expected and the unique food groups and flavors worked well together. The wine selection and wine steward were very good. The service however – C+.

We look forward always to the detailed explanation of each of the courses when we have an innovative tasting menu. At Corton, our server rushed the descriptions and when we occasionally asked her to repeat or further explain the dish, she acted a bit as if it was an imposition and as if she wanted to hurry off . One of our party felt she perhaps didn’t know much about the intricacies of each dish and wanted to not be on the spot for detailed explanation. All in all the service detracted from our overall experience at Corton.

Perhaps the staff should be treated to a dinner a Per Se to learn the ropes? I know Per Se is much more expensive and so they can hire the best but in this time of unemployment and hard to get jobs I would think the management and chef at Corton could spend a bit more time finding the right personel for the dining room.

We just happened to watch the documentary “A Matter of Taste” a few weeks before our visit and it also just happened that Paul Liebrandt was featured on the front page of the dining section of the New York Times on June 5th. (I’m sorry but I just can’t stop thinking about the need for a hairnet!)

I hope to visit soon his new venture, The Elm, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, when it opens in July, and look forward to see how his love of artistic presentation and his skill at combining intriguing foods work out with a more casual cuisine.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Restaurant : Corton

Ambience :
Understated clean decor, simple wallpaper with etchings of white peonies... But it
can get a bit noisy as the night drags on as tables are arranged very close
together.

Service :
As the restaurant was full for dinner, all the staff were fairly stretched and
hardworking. But just felt a bit impersonal. No friendly ice breakers or chit chat.

Food :
Food in general was good and well put together. We had the tasting menu and portions
were as expected little morsels from heaven. Would understand why some american
reviewers would feel shortchanged in Corton. No big slab of meat or pasta or salad.
Everything is kept small so that you keep clamouring for more. Good balance of
textures and flavours. For my wife, it was wow wow, better than bouley. For me,
bouley ticks all rhe right boxes. But Bouley and Corton are both great and mandatory places, esp the value they represent!

Conclusion :
Really nice place to visit for food coneissures. Good balance. Everything pleasant
and nice.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

the tasting menu was exceptional.......find it..love it...remember it.....try to white wine from marais...a small Grenache gris from the Felines Minervois

1  Thank stevecapper