“Nice place near Penn Station”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #326 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I liked this hotel because it was walking distance from Penn station, had a good breakfast, and it was a nice overall hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed January 24, 2011

This was the worst treatment I've ever gotten from anybody. We prepaid our room, and when we arrived, they charged us one more time even tough we told them that we already had paid. After several remainders to the staff, they finally did something about it, but they couldn't give us the money back, because it was weekend. We asked for some compensation, but the only thing they could give us was some cookies that were old and dry. I am never ever going to use this hotel again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Spent this past weekend in New York and stayed at this hotel. Hotel is an easy 4 blocks from Madison Square Garden and the NJ Transit trains. From the 29th street location it is an easy walk for us to head down to the Village for a Friday night play and a longer but equally comfortable walk for us to Lincoln Center on Saturday. If you are not a big walker the bellmen are more than willing to help with a taxi.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful without being overwhelming. The young lady who checked us in was an embodiment of that pleasant personna. Warm cookies on check in was a nice touch. Wall Street Journal available on Saturday. There is a small gym in the basement with new Precor equipment that was functional and up to par. Each unit has its own TV screen.

The negatives mentioned in other reviews: The hotel elevators could be slow particularly at the more travelled times which can be expected. In the evenings and mornings when we come and go usually before or after the crowds we didn't find much problem.

The room was small but as a place to sleep and change it was more then adequate. The room itself was very clean and comfortable. Flat screen TV, view of the Empire State Building, comfortable bed and very quiet for sleeping.

The location is on a quiet street that can seem imposing in the late evening
but as frequent travellers to the city and this area it isn't what it may look like. It is a shorter walk to come in from 6th ave to the hotel but we have never had a problem in this area.

In the end a nice hotel with a nice staff. With every hotel there is always negatives for someone but for us there were no negatives that would deter us from staying here again.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

A few short blocks from Penn station and you can get anywhere for $2.00. Even us jet setters can enjoy a little of the dodgy side of town. Rooms are small..but who stays in the room. Bed is fabulous as are the nuetrogena products. And the price....good for a budget. Stay here.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I travelled to New York during a 2 base holiday celebrating my daughters 21st birthday. We chose this hotel after seeing that it was not listed on the bed bug registry and also after getting confirmation from the Manager that there were no reported problems. I was worried about my trip to New York following recent news items on the fact that New York hotels were having severe problems with bed bugs. We stayed here for 3 nights and were happy with the hotel. Yes there were only 2 lifts and they were a little slow but overall that wasnt a problem, the reception and front of hotel staff were friendly , the room was clean and well serviced daily, there was some noise when others on the same floor returned to their rooms at night but no more than expected, there was ice and drinks machines on 4 floors of the hotel which was very useful because the rooms didnt have a fridge, we were on 24th floor and had a good view over New York, it was well located near to Penn Station and easy to walk to the sights and main shopping areas, we didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food, there was a gym in the basement and I think internet access (although we didn't use either of these), complimentary newspaper was left outside the room on one of the days of our stay, hotel stored luggage for us as on the day of departure our flight home to London was in the evening. BTW if you like cheesecake visit Grand Central Station and try "Juniors" , if you like diners search for "Georgio's" (cab ride or long walk away from hotel) and for a nice meal make a pre booking at "Blue Smoke" All these places I recommend as we have been to on each of our previous visits to New York and they have remained good on each occasion.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank vacsac
Reviewed January 19, 2011

After booking my trip to stay here, I read alot of the negative reviews and got frightened. My room had no issues, besides not being as big as my usual Hilton affiliated hotel rooms. The bathroom was small but manageable. The room was very clean. Due to the closeness to other rooms in the small hallway, I could see how one could possibly overhear people gathering in the hallways or a door slam shut. None of these issues happend during my stay. I guess I was booked into a good room (corner/away from elevator/23rd floor). I don't ever recall even waiting very long for a elevator. Honors members recieve free wifi/free breakfeast. Getting the warm cookies was always a plus after walking around during the winter in NYC. Penn Station is close as is the QNR subway on 28th. I'd definately stay here again, especially if they continue the military/gov "leisure" rate!!

Reviewed January 19, 2011

From the moment we were greeted by the Doorman to check out, entire Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and sleep program is excellent. Rooms a bit smaller then usual, but its New York. Breakfast Buffet, good quality and always kept replenished. It was nice the friendly servers kept coffee cups filled, unusual for a buffet.
Great Location! Will be my Hotel of choice for New York.
I didn't receive my cookie, but I won't stay away because of such a minor detail. And free Wi-Fi would always be welcome.