“Don't Stay Here -- 10 minute wait for elevator, closet sized room, chaos in lobby”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #314 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 30, 2009

The room was the smallest I've ever stayed in. Seriously. We were here with our young children and the room with two double beds was a joke -- literally two feet between the beds and 8 inches on either side of the beds. There is no closet (only a tiny wardrobe that you couldn't close the doors to once you put coats on the hangers), and no room for suitcases, much less a stroller or any other parcels. It was ridiculous.

But it gets worse. This is a 27 story building with only two elevators that guests have to share with the cleaning service people. The usual wait on an upper 20s floor was at least 10 minutes in the morning. The maid on our floor complained to me that she had to wait 45 minutes to catch an elevator up to the top of the building to start her cleaning because there were so many guests waiting in the "lobby" (more on the "lobby" in a moment).

When the elevator finally arrived, we literally stopped at every other floor on the way down. The elevator filled up after 3 stops, but it still stopped at nearly every floor and people who clearly wanted to leave (they had their roller bags with them) would have to wait for another elevator.

The "lobby" was always freezing cold (late December) because the lobby is about the size of two of the rooms put together and the automatic doors were constantly opening and closing. It was the least welcoming lobby I've ever been in. And it was jammed with people waiting for the elevators.

The restaurant with the "free breakfast" for Hilton Honors members was constantly running out of food and plates. Food was ok.

The staff was very friendly. No complaint about them. They're doing the best they can in a ridiculous facility. The rooms were clean and new. And the price was ok for holiday season, but nothing great. But even if I paid half the price I paid (high $200s), it wouldn't be worth it. A decent hotel room can be a nice place to rest up after a day of touring the city ... but not in this hotel. You can't turn around in the room without bumping into someone or something.

Don't stay here. I saw the reviews mentioning the small rooms and only two elevators and thought "how bad could it be?" Well, now I know.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Travel4WorkAndFamily
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City

Reviewed December 29, 2009

I live in the TriState area and have stayed at DoubleTree hotels uptown, but this was my first time at the one in Chelsea and let me tell you it will definitely be my LAST! The staff was rude upon checkin, the room was a little messy, and the BIGGEST problem is they are thieves. DO NOT leave anything behind because you will not get it back and let me tell you they will lie to you and give you some BS response. I left clothes on the bathroom hook by accident and went back that night and they told me that housekeeping was closed and to call the next day, so I did. I got all these BS answers, so I go there and speak with the general manager of all people who was not willing to help at all nor reimburst me for my missing clothes. He simply did not care. Do yourself a huge favor and stay somewhere else. This hotel is a piece of [--] and their staff is useless trash.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank coolange23
Reviewed December 20, 2009

The hotel has a great location on 29th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, about two blocks from Madison Square Gardens and Penn Station. I usually stay in midtown, so this was something different, and I really liked the accessibility to the train, plus the neighborhood. 29th Street itself is lined with stores selling handbags and belts, which was interesting, and there are lots of good restaurants nearby, in Chelsea.

The hotel was very nice: rooms are small, but what do you expect in New York City? The bathrooms (we had two rooms) were immaculate, and the furniture was cleverly designed to hold the most stuff in the smallest space. All in all, highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank patbiswanger
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Checked in today.
Nice hotel. Really matter of factly, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. The staff is friendly, it is clean, the rooms are fine (small, but fine), all is new, it's nice.

Another thing that is very important, at least for my stay, what you get for the dollar is simply very very good. My nightly pre-paid rate on the Hilton site was around $200 a night. In NY, at this price, you can normally expect a dump. This is far from a dump!

Also, before I continue, at this price, I'd probably stay here again. The price was this low because this DoubleTree is relatively new. They need to fill the rooms. However, assuming the price starts to move upward beyond the $250 range, in my opinion, this hotel starts to lose it's competitive edge.

First off, let me say there are three key neighborhoods I like to stay in when I visit NY. One is Midtown, but specifically around 42nd St. around 5th Avenue; the second is around Union Square and the Flat Iron; and the third is Chelsea. Why? All of these areas offer great access to uptown and downtown cabs and subways depending on my need. Also, all have good bars and restaurants. Easy to get to and from.

This hotel is in Upper Chelsea. For the money it's a good deal, but if the price goes up, the Hilton Garden Inn one block to the south is a much better option. First off, this hotel really does have SLOW elevators. It is 27 floors. Only two elvators are available. Ouch. On top of this, there is NO service elevator. Ouch. So you share with maid service and they stop on EVERY floor. There are also no mini-bars in the rooms. Most DoubleTree's have minibars, e.g. Full service. This is not a full service doubletree. Unlike the Hilton Garden Inn which has no Mini Bars, there is no Pantry and no Microwave or Fridge. So you are SOL if you need bottled water, etc. And yes, the rooms are small. The Lobby is REALLY tiny. Forget hanging out there for a long period of time. It's a stop and go place. The bar is also very small.

The Hilton Garden Inn right behind this hotel has about the same size rooms, has a Pantry with food, has a fridge and a microwave. Also as a VIP Diamond, I am greeted at the Garden Inn with water.

When I combine the lack of amenities with the slow elevators, small lobby, etc. price wise at the rate I paid, fine, I'll stay here. It is Nice as I said before. But, if the price goes up, the negatives are too great and I'd pick the Hilton Garden Inn over this hotel in a second.

Mind you, if the price was not right and the Hilton Garden Inn was too expensive (which it does sell out) then I'd move to a different neighborhood.

Just my 2 cents. Just fine for the money, but...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank wineguysf
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This is a new hotel, less than a year old. Our room had a king bed with large flatscreen TV. No minifridge. Hotel was very clean, as were the rooms and bathroom. It is on 29th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, about two blocks from Madison Square Gardens and Penn Station. The room was comfy and the staff very nice. There was a restaurant and bar, We didn't eat there but had a drink at the bar - expensive ($6.50 Bud and $9 glass of Rose, plus tax = $17 for two drinks). We discovered that drinks were this expensive everywhere except at delis and pizza restaurants. There were only two problems with the hotel: noise and elevator. Hallway noise and conversations would come into the room. Our comment card recommended to them they add noise insulation to the doors. The second problem was with the elevators. This is a tall, narrow hotel with approximately 220 rooms on 24 floors, There were only two elevators so at times there could be a wait of several minutes for a car. Outside of these two issues, we would recommend the hotel if you are in this part of town. Also, there is a Whole Foods market at 24th and 7th, so you can buy a sixpack of beer for less than the price of two beers at the bar.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DEJinVA
Reviewed December 3, 2009

When these guys mess up they mess up big. They are not helpful for getting things fixed quickly and rely on you to figure it out yourself. They charged two of my credit cards for full price and wouldn't make any phone calls to get one of the transactions voided out. Last thing you want to have to deal with when traveling for business.

Building is older and elevators are terribly slow. This hotel is nothing special, expensive, and has terrible service. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed here for our 1yr anniversary. In comparison to other hotels in Manhattan (which are expensive!), it was relatively reasonable, though still expensive YET expected- Hey, its Manhattan! Located a few blocks from the subway, which made it perfect to travel anywhere! We even took the train from the airport, straight to our hotel (via the AirTrain).. A LOT faster and A TON cheaper than taking the cab- so this alone made it worth while!

Staff was helpful, but the hotel is TINY! Looks like they carved it out from a side of a building. Their lobby area is small, so it wasn't too much surprise that our queen bed room was equally as small. Literally, once we opened the door, the restroom was half a foot to the right, about 6-8 steps straight was the bed, and probably a foot and a half between the bed and the TV. The place is so small, they didn't even have room for a regular closet, so they had a separate wooden closet unit in the room. We made do, as we weren't there to stay in the room (even if we wanted to, it was way to small to do the "romantic lounging-in-the-room for a day)..but that made us get out. SO, overall, it was good for the location, clean and safe. BUT, if you're looking for an average size room, or a romantic ambience to your room, OR a place to comfortably lounge in during your stay, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. But if you're going to be out and about, and just want a place to crash, or having a big room is not a big deal...then you'll be fine here.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple