“Slow elevator and slow receptionist. But they allowed my dog!”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #316 of 467 Hotels in New York City
columbia , md
“Slow elevator and slow receptionist. But they allowed my dog!”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Spent one night in this hotel with my husband and 5month old bulldog. (They allow dogs less than 30lbs)
Parking is validated at Edison Garage, about 1.5 blocks down from the hotel. My advise is to bring rolling luggage. Attendants were accommodating when we asked to have our car accessible for items we might need later.
Check in was at 3pm and we arrived at 245pm. Room was not ready until 3pm on the dot. Lobby was crowded with people who also had to wait for their rooms to be ready. Check out was similar, slow and inefficient.
In room- I liked the variety of complimentary toiletries by Neutrogena which included a face cleanser and face moisturizer. Room also included a blowdryer. Pillows were plentiful, big and fluffy.
I had to take my dog outside to urinate; couldn't wait any longer so decided to walk down 16 floors from my room. On our way up, the lobby was full and I was in line for the elevator. When the elevator came, some ignorant tourist cut in front of us with her big luggage. So, I had to walk up 16 flights back to my room. On my way, I saw the elevator dropping people off at the 3rd floor. I think I was going as fast as the elevator because it kept stopping at each floor. At least my dog got exercise.
Bottom line, we stayed here because they let dogs (under 30lbs) stay. We will not return because my dog will be more than 30lbs soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Greek first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea from 9/13 - 915, 2009. This is a small, new hotel that is within an easy walk to Times Square and and even shorter walk to Madison Square Garden, The Empire State Building and Macy's. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the room, although small, very comfortable with a king-size bed desk and wardrobe. The bathroom was very small but adaquite and everything was spotlessly clean and fresh. We paid $132 for the Sunday night and $188 for the Monday night stay. A great vaule for NYC! We would gladly stay again and recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JFPMass
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree Hotel in Chelsea over the weekend of Sept. 12. It was about a 10 minute walk at most from Penn Station. Check in was fairly quick and then we were off to our room. The room is small compared to other hotels in other cities but for NY - it's normal and actually quite good.

We got nervous about noise when we were about to enter our room. We were directly across from the elevator and then there was a lot of noise coming from one of the rooms down the hall. But when we entered the room and closed the door - the combination of the air conditioner and the walls made the hall barely audible!

The reviews on here are true - the elevators are slow. But it's completely manageable and we just took the stairs from the 14th floor when we needed to get out (and didn't have baggage). Squeeze in when you get the chance!

The location was great. Chelsea is such a fun area and we were able to walk to a lot of different places. Try Elmo for brunch which is a few blocks away!

The fitness center had updated equipment which is a definite plus and hard to find in hotels! I believe it was all Precor.

I love Doubletree cookies :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen S
Miami, FL
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We encountered a few hiccups at check-in but they were handled properly by Helen (Front Desk Supervisor). Location, not the best street but a few blocks down you are right on Madison Square Garden. Hotel is a typical New York Building, corridors are narrow and rooms are under 300 sq.ft.. Restaurant staff was superb! Overall nice hotel, they are still trying to get everything up and running as they just open.

Stayed September 2009
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 5, 2009

This hotel had recently opened (Summer 2009) so everything is new and clean as expected. It is a short walk to Penn Station or the Empire State Building and within walking distance of Times Square. The room was an average size for the location and certainly worth the $159 rate. I would recommend this hotel over The New Yorker any day.

The negatives would be the fact that internet access (wired or wireless) is not free and is over $10/day, but the low room rate made up for this negative. There are only two elevators in the building so expect to wait five minutes during normal hours and possibly more during busy days. The walls and floors are thin so expect to hear your neighbors in the rooms next to you and even the flushing of toilets on floors above you.

The positives would certainly be the price and location. The HDTV with Time Warner HD cable was also nice, but the free On Demand features seemed to be disabled and would alway return errors.

Overall, it's a great place for the rate (I paid $159/night) . I have been staying at many hotels in the area and my order of recommendation (assuming equal rates) would be:

1) Hilton Garden Inn (121 W 28th St)
2) Hampton Inn (337 W 39th Street)
3) Doubletree Chelea (128 W 29th St)
4) Wyndham Garden (341 W 36th)
5) Hilton Garden Inn (63 W 35th St)
6) Hampton Inn (116 W 31st St)
7) New Yorker (481 8th Ave)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank EnjoyTheSun
joseph340
Reviewed August 29, 2009

If you're looking for an affordable, clean, and comfortable room in Manhattan, this Doubletree--along with it's sister Hilton-brand properties in the neighborhood--can't be beat. Service is top notch...I stayed for one night, and then returned for two a couple of days later. The front-desk clerk greeted me by name when I arrived for my second stay...very impressive. Otherwise, my favorite thing about this hotel is that it offers 150-channel cable tv, complete with an interactive programming guide...that may be the last thing on the mind of most people visiting NYC, but I spend 100+ nights a year in hotels. It was a pleasant change from the 20-30 channels that you find at most properties.

On the downside, the lifts are terribly slow...it wasn't so bad during my first stay, but when I returned it seemed like only one of the two would move at any given time. At one point spent over five minutes waiting, while the one lift stayed on floor 12 the entire time! And I agree w/ previous reviews, it does seem quite ridiculous to charge $10 for internet access, especially when the nearby Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn are essentially identical hotels, but offer it for free.

Finally, the surrounding neighborhood isn't all that appealing, but at the same time I never felt unsafe...besides, it's a short walk to more traveler-friendly areas. Penn Station is only about a 5-minute walk away, so if you're arriving at either Newark or JFK airport, you can save your money on the cab fare and just take the train.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank joseph340
Miami Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Clearly the NYC Building Dept. should have never approved plans for this hotel. What were they thinking??? At 27 floors there are only TWO, small-cab, not-so-fast elevators, and no service elevator which means long waits in the morning and afternoon/evening, and sharing elevators with bins of dirty linens, garbage bags and luggage. Worse, the lack of hallway space on the guest floors means the housekeeping staff have to pile bags and bags of linens in the fire escape stairwells overnight, often blocking passage between floors. I used to live in NYC and have lived in high rises my entire adult life and can assure you this is a fire code violation. I showed pictures to the assistant manager who was very nice and apologetic and promised to bring it up at the next staff meeting. Still, it makes you wonder what else is going wrong.

Other issues: no minibar, nor mini-refrigerator; no liquor license; ice machines on only every third or fourth floor (if you can get to them through the bags of linens).

Now, the good part. The staff are friendly and realize the problems the architects and whoever runs real estate at Hilton left them and their guests. I feel sorry for them that they have to work at such a badly designed facility.

I'd say OK for tourists with time on their hands; would be a disaster for a business trip where you have to be downstairs in 5 or 10 minutes.
Another plus: great location, at least for me. Convenient to Chelsea where I have many friends, mid-town, Penn Station, whatever. Yes, the block is a little "industrial" -- lots of low-end wholesale fabric and fashion accessory showrooms -- but Fashion Institute of Technology is down the street and there is some sort of FIT student dorm nearby so energy on the street even late at night.

OK for tourists; would be a disaster for time-sensitive business travelers.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo