New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Spectacular room for a great price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #308 of 475 Hotels in New York City
“Spectacular room for a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

At first I had booked my stay at another local hotel, and arriving to my room at the end of two corridors from the shining, I come to find stains all over and a stale cigarette aroma in the air. With the view of the building opposite to us, the sun could never get close to lighting things up. The first thing I proceeded to do was hop onto TripAdvisor, as this felt just like their commercials. A quick booking for the following evening, and one uncomfortable night later, I was downstairs, checking out early. A quick trip to the DoubleTree Chelsea, and I knew I was in good hands. After taking my baggage for me for a few hours, I was able to check in and go truly unwind. After taking the elevator to the top floor and going into one of the two rooms for the whole floor, I was in paradise. 15foot ceilings, with windows to match, a fluffy king sized bed, two separate air conditioners, this was a palace for the price in NYC. I turned over for the grand finale and stepped out onto the massive deck, admiring the view of the Empire State and the GE, while it lasts, on the horizon. With the amenities I come to expect from a Hilton partner, I enjoyed every bit of my stay. The staff was excellent and the room was clean and well appointed. The only gripe I have is that my stay only lasted the one night. However, I can surely say, this is where I will stay the next time I'm in Manhattan. And all for $60 less than my previous room!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Greek first
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Hotel is situated in the heart of Manhattan.......The hotel property is excellent and service is beyond excellence. Well spread breakfast and rooms are very clean and smell nice. The Internet works well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has over 25 floors. Why on earth does it only have 2 very small elevators? And no service elevator for the housekeeping staff for their huge carts? After a long day of travel to NYC, we waited for over 15 minutes after check-in for the elevator to our room on 23rd floor.

As for the room, it is comfortable and somewhat clean. No small refrigerator. Ask for a high floor...we could barely hear street noise.

The hotel is close to rapid transit and other conveniences, like popular coffee shops...

Stayed July 2014
Fort Myers, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I booked this hotel as it was advertised that the hotel was totally renovated in 2013. My three friends and I arrived to find stacks of garbage bags on the street just outside of the entry way. The lobby was very small and the furniture was filthy. The rooms were tiny (even by NY standards). The shower pull bar had rust running down the side of the shower. The carpet was stained and had trash on it from a previous visitor. We took the paper top off the glasses to find lip marks and smudge marks all over the glasses. While we were out touring the city we received a notice that the hot water was out and they were repairing it. That was the final straw. We checked out the next day and went to the Waldorf Astoria for the remainder of our visit. BTW, the price of the Waldorf was only slightly higher than this Doubletree, but it was an immaculate, wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

2 Thank Madlyn D
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Madlyn D, we apologize for your experience while staying at our hotel and have reviewed the Housekeeping and Maintenence issues you had with our team. Since the beginning of 2013 our owners have invested more than $750,000 in the hotel to replace guest room carpet and wall vinyl; corridor carpet and wall vinyl, and artwork; window treatments; lobby furniture; and desk chairs and lamps. We want to make sure that this shows so we task our Housekeeping and Engineering departments to provide a high quality and on behalf of our entire team, we are sorry this was not the case during your stay. We hope you will give us a chance to show you the high quality of service most of our guests experience.
cleveland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

this is a very good hotel. Rooms were clean . The staff were the most pleasant people . They were always smiling and kind. I will always stay here when in NYC. The parking was close and very affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This location is great. Very close to the subway to get you wherever you want to go and within walking distance of Macy's, MSG, Empire State Bldg, and lots of other stuff. We love checking in to warm cookies and the water with fresh fruit in the lobby is nice. Our room was surprisingly roomy for NYC and had a king bed. The room was very nice, very clean, the bed was so comfy, and they had the AC going so the temperature was perfect. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. I also thought the rate was very reasonable and very competitive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

The hotel is on one of the least interesting streets in NYC, perched on the far north side of Chelsea--closer to herald Square than Chelsea proper. Room was small--but this is NYC. Price was rational, wifi good-- easy walking up or downtown. The hotel bar is nondescript, but staff friendly and helpful. I was there for business with a couple of play days thrown in and it was fine for my purposes. Key feature--good price and clean room. Doesn't really stand out for anything other than the value.

• Stayed July 2014