“Hidden gem in NYC”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #317 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel is out of view down a side street, but is right in the middle of the city and is clean, friendly & wonderful. My husband and I stayed here for one night. My husband had a meeting to attend, so I walked around the neighborhood, which has many coffee shops and other shops to explore. The area immediately surrounding the hotel appears to be mostly florist supply businesses with other shops mixed in. You can walk to the Empire State Building and the view of it is great from the hotel. We ate dinner at Babbo and recommend that as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

We're very glad that you and your husband stayed with us during his recent business trip to the city, and that you enjoyed your stay. It sounds as though you made the most of your time, exploring the area, and we hope your next stay is for more than a day!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed 3 nights end of March with a son. I'm confirming what others said (1) clean (2) convenient location (3) nothing fancy or large (one person fits in the bathroom) but what you need is there (4) great NYC value. Staff seemed fine and friendly with each interaction including handing out evening cookies. Location seemed safe and its far enough (but very close and easy walk to Penn Station) and there is residential a few blocks away. If late at night and alone and walking and concerned, it is closer to the 6th/ave of Americas side on south side of street and just a short walk from that main street although did not encounter any of NYCs characters on 29th. Some will be turned off by not being in a tourist district (although not me) but it is close. Check out Johnny's Lunchette for old fashioned 10 seat breakfast diner a few blocks south (?25th?). High Line walk was great a few blocks west. Close to Times Square for fit walkers. Whole Foods close by. In summary would recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much, Will9845, for such a thorough and concise review of your stay with us. Our friendly staff appreciates that you found the hotel to be clean, and a good value. Your tips for seeing the High Line and where to walk are very helpful! We look forward to you making our hotel your base of operations when you come back to explore more of our wonderful city!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Although it's the Doubletree Chelsea hotel, it's actually right on the border of Midtown. It's a short walk to Penn Station and there is another subway station a couple of blocks away. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and my bed was very comfortable. The room was small, but that's to be expected with NYC hotel rooms. I stayed on the 24th floor and the hotel only has 2 elevators, so it did take a little time to get up and down, but it wasn't that bad. My room had a great view of the Empire State building, so that was a bonus. I could hear the traffic down below a little bit, but it didn't bother me. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Ashley J, we are very happy to hear that you would stay with us again, and that you enjoyed your view of the Empire State Building, and the location of our hotel! Our friendly and accommodating staff looks forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a fabulous stay with Double tree at Hilton. My room was exactly what their website had advised. Check in was a breeze, check out was even easier. The free wifi was pretty quick and I loved the fact we got free warm cookies at anytime of the stay from Check in. The service was very very good and they where always kind and tried to do their best with whatever inquiry we had. After travelling the entire USA this was my favorite hotel - no stress what so ever. Right on the corner of 7th Ave & 29th Street, very close to Manhattan Mall and the subway so its a great location. I will come back and stay again and recommend this hotel to friends for sure! Thanks Hilton!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tia P
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us, for your great comments and for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We hope you will return very soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I might be damning this hotel with faint praise, but it really was a perfectly fine hotel. It's a Doubletree, so the warm cookie is always a welcome way to start a stay. Rooms--I think all of them, from my co-workers reports--are perhaps the tiniest I have ever stayed in. Even the hallways were small, and the lobby was positively petite. It makes sense in Manhattan, where space is such a premium. However, future guests should know that this is not the room to cram in multiple family members (unlike the Doubletree I stayed at in CA the previous week, which could have comfortably held an entire basketball team). Two people will fit just fine, but that's about it.

The hotel is quite centrally located in Chelsea, in the Flower Market District--which was fun to see. Times Square, Madison Square Gardens, The Empire State Building-- are all within walking distance. This being New York, there's no trouble finding all sorts of amenities nearby. Try Stumptown Coffee--just down the block--for excellent coffee imported all the way from my home town of Portland, OR!

Quality-wise, everything meets the usual Doubletree standards--clean, fresh, tidy, etc. Comfortable bed. I appreciated that the windows opened, and that my room opened onto the middle of the block, so it was remarkably quiet.

Two negatives, neither of them big deals: 1) my room had a strong smell of some sort of cleaning supply--maybe a spill? It was mildly bothersome. 2) One morning, the dining room was nearly empty, but there were no cleared tables to be found. Had everyone departed en masse and there'd be no time to clear even one? I don't know.

Pros: The big plus at this hotel was really, really NICE staff. Everyone went out of their way to be not just polite and helpful but friendly and personable.

I'll surely be back--it's quite near my company's local office, but regardless, I'd recommend this hotel. As long as you don't need much space :)

Room Tip: I liked having an inner room--it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you beglisc for choosing to stay with us, and for your review of our hotel. We especially appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and are very glad to know that you found them to be nice. We do look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

The staff at this hotel were very friendly and accomumodating. It was in a perfect location to see the sights of New York. Close enough to walk to Times Square and a short subway ride to uptown for Grand Central Station and Rockfeller Center or Downtown to Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Exhibit

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

837susank, it sounds like our central location was ideal for you to see a lot on your visit to New York City, and that makes us very happy! Thank you for your 4 star review, and we hope that you will make us your home away from home in New York City!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had a great stay at the Double Tree Hilton in Chelsea. The room was clean and I really liked the room. However, I had requested a late check out when I made the reservation and when I arrived at the hotel I was asked to pay for an extra night. I asked to talk to the manager to get this rectified but really was upset about hearing this news upon arrival and that I had to fight not to pay an extra night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Alix S, we apologize for the misunderstanding regarding your extra night. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel, and giving us a 4 star review in spite of the misunderstanding! We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you will return on your next visit to New York City.