“Great Midtown Hotel”

Ranked #323 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Sarasota, Florida
“Great Midtown Hotel”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Although it's the Doubletree Chelsea hotel, it's actually right on the border of Midtown. It's a short walk to Penn Station and there is another subway station a couple of blocks away. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and my bed was very comfortable. The room was small, but that's to be expected with NYC hotel rooms. I stayed on the 24th floor and the hotel only has 2 elevators, so it did take a little time to get up and down, but it wasn't that bad. My room had a great view of the Empire State building, so that was a bonus. I could hear the traffic down below a little bit, but it didn't bother me. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Ashley J, we are very happy to hear that you would stay with us again, and that you enjoyed your view of the Empire State Building, and the location of our hotel! Our friendly and accommodating staff looks forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a fabulous stay with Double tree at Hilton. My room was exactly what their website had advised. Check in was a breeze, check out was even easier. The free wifi was pretty quick and I loved the fact we got free warm cookies at anytime of the stay from Check in. The service was very very good and they where always kind and tried to do their best with whatever inquiry we had. After travelling the entire USA this was my favorite hotel - no stress what so ever. Right on the corner of 7th Ave & 29th Street, very close to Manhattan Mall and the subway so its a great location. I will come back and stay again and recommend this hotel to friends for sure! Thanks Hilton!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

2 Thank Tia P
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us, for your great comments and for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We hope you will return very soon!
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I might be damning this hotel with faint praise, but it really was a perfectly fine hotel. It's a Doubletree, so the warm cookie is always a welcome way to start a stay. Rooms--I think all of them, from my co-workers reports--are perhaps the tiniest I have ever stayed in. Even the hallways were small, and the lobby was positively petite. It makes sense in Manhattan, where space is such a premium. However, future guests should know that this is not the room to cram in multiple family members (unlike the Doubletree I stayed at in CA the previous week, which could have comfortably held an entire basketball team). Two people will fit just fine, but that's about it.

The hotel is quite centrally located in Chelsea, in the Flower Market District--which was fun to see. Times Square, Madison Square Gardens, The Empire State Building-- are all within walking distance. This being New York, there's no trouble finding all sorts of amenities nearby. Try Stumptown Coffee--just down the block--for excellent coffee imported all the way from my home town of Portland, OR!

Quality-wise, everything meets the usual Doubletree standards--clean, fresh, tidy, etc. Comfortable bed. I appreciated that the windows opened, and that my room opened onto the middle of the block, so it was remarkably quiet.

Two negatives, neither of them big deals: 1) my room had a strong smell of some sort of cleaning supply--maybe a spill? It was mildly bothersome. 2) One morning, the dining room was nearly empty, but there were no cleared tables to be found. Had everyone departed en masse and there'd be no time to clear even one? I don't know.

Pros: The big plus at this hotel was really, really NICE staff. Everyone went out of their way to be not just polite and helpful but friendly and personable.

I'll surely be back--it's quite near my company's local office, but regardless, I'd recommend this hotel. As long as you don't need much space :)

Room Tip: I liked having an inner room--it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you beglisc for choosing to stay with us, and for your review of our hotel. We especially appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and are very glad to know that you found them to be nice. We do look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The staff at this hotel were very friendly and accomumodating. It was in a perfect location to see the sights of New York. Close enough to walk to Times Square and a short subway ride to uptown for Grand Central Station and Rockfeller Center or Downtown to Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Exhibit

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

837susank, it sounds like our central location was ideal for you to see a lot on your visit to New York City, and that makes us very happy! Thank you for your 4 star review, and we hope that you will make us your home away from home in New York City!
Vienna, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had a great stay at the Double Tree Hilton in Chelsea. The room was clean and I really liked the room. However, I had requested a late check out when I made the reservation and when I arrived at the hotel I was asked to pay for an extra night. I asked to talk to the manager to get this rectified but really was upset about hearing this news upon arrival and that I had to fight not to pay an extra night.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Alix S, we apologize for the misunderstanding regarding your extra night. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel, and giving us a 4 star review in spite of the misunderstanding! We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you will return on your next visit to New York City.
Tampa, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

great place to stay when in NYC; staff is really nice, and Hotel is clean. Bar has HH and breakfast is very good. Very close to Madison Square Gardens and Penn Station clean and spacious rooms; found the directions to local travel were accurate.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much, James R H, for your 5 star review of our hotel, and for choosing our hotel for your stay in NYC. We are exceptionally happy to know that our directions were helpful, and that you enjoyed our breakfast, location and clean rooms! We hope to see you again very soon, and look forward to some Florida warmth for your next visit!
Plainview, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Classic NYC business class hotel, small rooms with WIFI. Restaurant was good, room was clean but small, typical NYC. Front Desk was friendly and courteous, and asked if needed directions. Overall, great for business, not s much for family.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Sanford K, thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent business trip, and many thanks for your 4 star review. We're glad our Front Desk was helpful, and that you found the restaurant to be good! We hope to see you again very soon!