“Standard hotel fit for purpose - however great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #309 of 479 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Standard hotel fit for purpose - however great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Quite pricey but to be expected anywhere you stay in New York.
Clean and tidy room - hotel very standard (nearing outdated decor), and really just fit for purpose (use as a base and then return to sleep at night). Beds were really comfortable. Free wifi in the rooms. Great location. Plenty of Duane Reades and coffee & bagel shops just around the corner for food, coffee and personal items.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are happy to say that we will be completing projects in the beginning 2013 to freshen the look of the hotel. We hope you will stay with us again, and let us know what you think. We are glad that you found our rooms to be neat and tidy, and look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

....Neat hotel with smiling and polite staff.
This hotel is well place to visit the whole of Manhattern.
The roon had a great view of the Empire State building and was kept clean and tidy by the room staff.
My husband enjoyed his birthday gift and his first visit to a great city... including the lollipops by the lift.
Brilliant! Thanks to all the staff

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michele K
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Michele K, we are so glad you and your husband chose our hotel to celebrate his birthday, and even happier to know that he enjoyed himself. Thanks for complimenting our smiling staff. We wish your husband many happy returns, and hope that some of them will be spent with us!
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Giselle, Nick and the entire front desk staff were great!!!
Giselle knew that I wanted a bottle of water when I came in... One day she had to leave early and told Nick; I walk in and to my pleasant surprise Nick gives me a water with the note from Giselle that she would see me tomorrow.

Room Tip: Higher is always better in NYC
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jay F, thank you for mentioning our staff by name, and we are so glad they made you feel welcome. We do our best to provide a great experience and it makes everyone here happy to have their efforts recognized!
Christiansburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Had a recent trip to NYC for a wedding at Chelsea Piers and stayed at this hotel. Very quiet and easy walk from train station. Also centrally located to dining. Did have a problem getting a cab at rush hour. Rooms were small, but clean and comfortable. Front desk service was terrific.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hkabbott
hkabbott, thank you so much for your review, and your great comments on our Front Desk Staff and clean rooms. We hope you enjoyed the wedding, and return soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I travel to the City on average about four times a year so I do know a bit about NYC hotels and what to expect. On this trip, I came to the City with my 17 year old daughter and her best friend to your my daughter's college, FIT. I chose this hotel primarily based on the great reviews and because it was two blocks from the school. I honestly am shocked that this hotel received such high ratings from previous guests. For the same price, I have stayed on previous recent trips at The Standard, Hotel Giraffe, The London, The Westin Times Square and for a little bit more , The Grammercy Park Hotel. The Hilton DT Chelsea was disgusting, I couldn't walk in my room without wearing flip flops, the noise from other guests coming and going and the loud banging from outside kept me up until 5 am when I went to bed at 1 am. I had requested a high floor and I got the second floor..BTW...only 27 floors in this poor excuse for a hotel. The walls are paper thin, the lobby was tackily decorated for Halloween and it really isn't much of a lobby to speak of. The elevators reeked of cigarette smoke and the bathroom was very very small and had hair on the floor. I seriously want my money back...I am very disappointed and I think the source should be considered when reading the reviews. I don't think anybody who had anything positive to stay had ever been to an establishment that wasn't a youth hostel. Also, stay away from the complimentary choc chip and walnut cookie they give you at check in. I think it's their way of putting you in the hospital for the rest of the evening so it frees up the room. We all got sick. Horrible place and I think the bums slerping on the steps at the church down the street had a better stay than we did!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Abaynham22
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations. We actively work with our housekeeping team to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. We have noted the condition of your restroom was not up to our usual standards, and we will have our team pay closer attention to this area as part of our ongoing training. I am sorry to hear that noise from other guests and outside traffic was disruptive during your stay. While New York is a bustling city, we know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling. We regret this was not your experience. Our warm chocolate chip cookies are baked onsite daily and are intended to be a touch of home for busy travelers. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy them. We’ll keep your concerns on our décor and service in mind as we continually evaluate and evolve to best suit our guests’ needs.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and if I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am a Hilton diamond member - got here at midnight after a long flight from the west coast. 1) the guy at the desk was on the phone and pretending to be busy waited 5 mins 2) Internet was not working, asked for the 800 tech support number, they did not know it 3) tv not working 4) small room and narrow corridors. For the price u can get much better rooms in NYC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Salman M
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Salman M, please let me apologize on behalf of our TEAM for not being able to provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the poor first impression made by our front desk agent and for the technical difficulties experienced with our TV and internet service. We’ll be sure to address these room amenity issues with our staff and hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Of course the rooms are small compared to other cities, this is New York after all! The room was clean and comfortable, and a good value for a place in Manhattan. Really appreciated the very helpful Bellmen. Easy access to subway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dHous
dHous, thank you for your kind words and we are so glad that you enjoyed the convenience to Subway entrances, and our Bell Staff! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Manhattan.