“WORST NYC HOTEL EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE.”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #325 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I travel to the City on average about four times a year so I do know a bit about NYC hotels and what to expect. On this trip, I came to the City with my 17 year old daughter and her best friend to your my daughter's college, FIT. I chose this hotel primarily based on the great reviews and because it was two blocks from the school. I honestly am shocked that this hotel received such high ratings from previous guests. For the same price, I have stayed on previous recent trips at The Standard, Hotel Giraffe, The London, The Westin Times Square and for a little bit more , The Grammercy Park Hotel. The Hilton DT Chelsea was disgusting, I couldn't walk in my room without wearing flip flops, the noise from other guests coming and going and the loud banging from outside kept me up until 5 am when I went to bed at 1 am. I had requested a high floor and I got the second floor..BTW...only 27 floors in this poor excuse for a hotel. The walls are paper thin, the lobby was tackily decorated for Halloween and it really isn't much of a lobby to speak of. The elevators reeked of cigarette smoke and the bathroom was very very small and had hair on the floor. I seriously want my money back...I am very disappointed and I think the source should be considered when reading the reviews. I don't think anybody who had anything positive to stay had ever been to an establishment that wasn't a youth hostel. Also, stay away from the complimentary choc chip and walnut cookie they give you at check in. I think it's their way of putting you in the hospital for the rest of the evening so it frees up the room. We all got sick. Horrible place and I think the bums slerping on the steps at the church down the street had a better stay than we did!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Abaynham22
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet expectations. We actively work with our housekeeping team to focus on cleanliness and comfort throughout our property. We have noted the condition of your restroom was not up to our usual standards, and we will have our team pay closer attention to this area as part of our ongoing training. I am sorry to hear that noise from other guests and outside traffic was disruptive during your stay. While New York is a bustling city, we know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling. We regret this was not your experience. Our warm chocolate chip cookies are baked onsite daily and are intended to be a touch of home for busy travelers. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy them. We’ll keep your concerns on our décor and service in mind as we continually evaluate and evolve to best suit our guests’ needs.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and if I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am a Hilton diamond member - got here at midnight after a long flight from the west coast. 1) the guy at the desk was on the phone and pretending to be busy waited 5 mins 2) Internet was not working, asked for the 800 tech support number, they did not know it 3) tv not working 4) small room and narrow corridors. For the price u can get much better rooms in NYC.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Salman M
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Salman M, please let me apologize on behalf of our TEAM for not being able to provide you with the high quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the poor first impression made by our front desk agent and for the technical difficulties experienced with our TV and internet service. We’ll be sure to address these room amenity issues with our staff and hope you’ll consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Of course the rooms are small compared to other cities, this is New York after all! The room was clean and comfortable, and a good value for a place in Manhattan. Really appreciated the very helpful Bellmen. Easy access to subway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dHous

dHous, thank you for your kind words and we are so glad that you enjoyed the convenience to Subway entrances, and our Bell Staff! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Manhattan.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel is in a good area however the rooms are super small. The staff is super nice but there are so many things wrong with this hotel it was not worth te $300 plus rate per night we paid. We won't be back. Things that happened. Party next door at midnight and mgr had to come up three times before they left I got zero sleep. Next day took stairs and trash bags in the stairs. The next day I came to room to hear construction noises above us. Elevator broken. Tv broken only blue and yellow color. Plea repair tv in room 1508! Need I say more?

Room Tip: Don't stay here stay at holiday inn down the street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Annette M
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Annette M, we are so sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for your stay with us, and will certainly address any issues with the television in room 1508. I hope you will feel comfortable reaching out to me at the hotel, if there is anything we can do to get you back!

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Just spent one night at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. Calling the location Chelsea is a stretch, and the block where it is located seems a little shady, but it's very conveniently located both by subway and walking. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room size was as small as expected for a NYC hotel, but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank jw9691

We are so glad to know, jw9691, that we pleasantly surprised you! This just means that our team will work that much harder to make your next stay even better!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were in the city for a bachelorette party and booked two smoking rooms at the Double Tree Inn for 8 girls. When we arrived, we were told that there was a problem since although we had the reservations, the rooms would not be available for us. Normally, it would not be a big deal, but like I said, this was a bachelorette party & we did not want to start out the night with things going wrong. After some apology, we were finally booked in 2 rooms on different floors, and instead of each having 2 queen beds like requested, we had 1 room with 2 queen beds and 1 room with a king size bed and a cot. Luckily one of the girls decided not to stay otherwise we would have had to sleep 3 in one bed! When we booked the hotel, we specifically told them that we would have 8 girls because we did not want to have ANY problems with anything. AT the time of check in only one of the rooms was even available, so we had to stuff 8 girls into one TINY room to try to get ready to go out. To make up for it, they did offer us a round of free drinks at the bar and free breakfast buffet.
So, despite them giving away our pre- reserved rooms, the customer service was good and the desk staff was friendly.
Aside from the room being extremely small (which is understandable as NYC hotels go) the room was very clean and well maintained. Not sure how comfortable the bed was, as I slept on the cot. If my boyfriend and I were traveling by ourselves, I would consider staying here again, but never with more than 2 people and certainly never with more than 1 room!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristel S
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Kritel S, we are very sorry about any misunderstanding regarding your room reservations, but glad to know that our friendly staff was able to accommodate you, and the rest of your party. Congratulations to the bride! We certainly hope you and your boyfriend will stay with us again very soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and loved the hotel. We picked this hotel for the value and location. We were a 10 minute walk from times square and 5 mins from the subway. On arrival we were greated with a warm cookie and shown to our room. The rooms are cosy, but not as small as some people had said. We had a view of the Empire State Building which was lovely to see lit up at night. On arrival the room was clean and fresh. The bathroom was a good size. I checked for bed bugs and could see no signs. We were located on the 26 floor which is second from the top, the longest we had to wait for the lift was a couple of mins. If I was to return to New York I would stay here again. The staff were friendly and gave directions and booked our transfers for us.

Room Tip: You really are hardly in the room so as long as you can get a goods night sleep thats the main thing...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte C

Charlotte C, thank you so much for staying at DoubleTree Chelsea, and for your positive review! We look forward to your next visit, and are very happy to know you were able to get a good night sleep!