“Great value for the money!”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Buffalo, New York
“Great value for the money!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree Chelsea for New Year's Eve weekend. It was very comfortable and clean. The staff provided outstanding service. Location was perfect for walking to Madison Square Garden. Pretty easy to get around the city and a nice quiet location to stay for New Year's Eve weekend. It was nice to be away from the craziness of Times Square. Most comfortable bed ever!!! They told us they really didn't have any rooms with a view, and that was fine for us. We weren't there for the view. Just wanted a clean and comfortable room for the weekend and that's what we got.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
kdowd224, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Thank you for your review or our New York City Chelsea Hotel. We are glad your stay was enjoyable for New Year’s Eve as that is certainly a busy time for the city. We take pride in our ability to offer a great product at a great price while allowing you to be in the center of it all but away from the hustle and bustle at the same time. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
Rochester, NY
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The price was right for our family. This is a newly built property with nice comfy beds and flat screen TV. It's location is somewhat out of the way from majot tourist attractions however there are two subway stations within an easy walk. Highly reccomended as the hotel is new and clean. Not a lot of ammenities but if you're on the go who needs all that anyways.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
you SunNSki09 for your recent stay at our Hotel. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your time with us.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Arrived at The Doubletree on Thursday 27Th May for our five night break, Took my 16 yr old daughter to buy her prom dress and see all the major sites. First impression was very much a travel in/ hoilday express, ( I stay in them regular for work) Was ok nothing flash. We were on the 14th floor, Our veiw was someones bedroom nice! Carpet had stains on the floor but other then that clean and comfy, The only thing I would say was a pain was the aircon way to loud and either freezing or boiling. It was 90 degress when we were there. Reception was pokey and dull and the sofas could do with a clean, we never went to gym just didnt have the time. We never went into restaurant to eat as prices seemed very expensive. When I first arrived I discovered my daughter had left a bag at the airport I asked recpetion if I could call the airport and the first person was very rude and said no I couldnt use the phone! I was most upset I left the hotel for a few hours I was tired and fed up, I tried to use my mobile out there but I just couldnt get threw to lost property at Newark, Came back to the hotel and asked a differnt person and he said yes. Any way didnt get the bag back, nor did lost property return my call. I didnt expect to get the bag back but a call would have been nice. New York city is like London on speed, Its crazy, Funny, and nothing surpries me any more, Beggers with no legs busking, singers, a crazy guy of times sq banging a saucepan lid? Empire state was a 2 hr Q. statue of liberty 2 hr q. Rockafella centre about 45 mins, NBC studio tour sold out 2 days in advance so pre booked, we had the city pass. Ground zero just made us cry. Stardust dinner very good food and singing, just a shame they ask for such big tips. Planet hollywood good grub too, only if you use your city pass to get your $10 dollars off they change 18% tip!. plus did all the shops, best for bargins was forever21 but got some good ones in jcpenny and tj max. wanna go back in winter to see what central park is like then its so well kept. but would proably stay else where. On my return home asked the hotel to book my shuttle bus, they got the date wrong and did it for 24 hrs after my plane took off. I went and asked on the Tuesday for a shuttle bus to be booked for the next day which would mean Wednesday yes? No the lady booked it for Thursday and a time I would have been in the UK! Didnt relaise until i questioned her when bus was 20 mins late. Another bus couldnt be booked so I had to get a taxi and I had to pay the $88 not the last impression I wanted of New York Double Tree Chelsea!

Room Tip: I heard floors over 20 had better veiws
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
kdowd224, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Hello Nessie30. Thank you for your visit to our DoubleTree by Hilton New York City Chelsea Hotel. We apologize the trip did not go as planned. It can be frustrating when an airline loses your luggage. We do hope all works out. We are sorry that the hotel front desk did not let you use our phone and we will address this with the staff to insure next time this will be a smoother process for you. Please feel free to contact me at 212-564-0994 if we can help with anything-Kathryn Dowd
La Jolla, California
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The Doubletree Hotel Chelsea is only four blocks or so from Penn Station. It is located on a relatively quiet street 4 blocks from Penn Station. The hotel is still undergoing construction and the entrance is obscured by metal scaffolding that covers a patio in front.

As previous reviewers have mentioned, the lobby is small with only a limited seating area, and there are only two elevators, although we have never had to wait more than a few minutes.

The staff was friendly and efficient and made us feel welcome. The staff members always greeted us and were very helpful, especially a young man named Israel who went out of his way to take care of us.

Our room was on the 11th floor. It was on the backside of the hotel and not very big, but it was quiet and looked out on some roof top gardens. The room was spotlessly clean and had a comfortable king size bed and good quality linens. There was only one desk chair and it would have been nice to have an extra chair. The bathroom looked recently renovated and the towels were soft and thick.

We would definitely stay at the Chelsea again, and I will recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
kdowd224, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you ElleLaJolla for your review of our DoubleTree New York City-Chelsea Hotel. We are happy to hear about your stay and are glad that Isreal could assist you with your needs. We look forward to having you back next time you are in the New York City area!
Somers, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at this property in May 2011 while in town for the BookExpo America show. The hotel is conveniently located close to both my office on 5th ave & 27th street, and it's a 20 minute walk from the Javits Center.
The design of the hotel is identical to that of the Hilton Garden Inn which is one block south of this property. I found this hotel to be nice and clean. I was greeted by helpful desk staff. I also watched a game in the bar during the evening and found it to be enjoyable and low key.
The room I had was new and had a nice view from the 26th floor. It was a room with two double beds do to occupancy rates, I usually get a king. I was not offered an upgrade because the hotel was sold out. I was offered a free hot breakfast in the restaurant, which was served by friendly faces. I will most likely return to this hotel on my future visits to NY.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you Jerrybloom for your review of the DoubleTree Hotel Chelsea- New York City. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found it comfortable and conveniently located. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the area.
Birmingham
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stayed at this hotel, which I would say is in the Garment District, after a wonderful few days at a great hotel in Boston. This hotel was more expensive and just didn't compare in any way. First impressions matter and we walked up and down the street and couldn't see it - asked at a hotel over the road where it was and it was well hidden by netting - don't know whether it is being cleaned or renovated as on-one mentioned it. This made the foyer area very dark, dingy and uninviting - it's incredibly small anyone so immediate feeling wasn't good. Staff at check in where pleasant, but on getting to our room there wasn't any bedding for the sofa bed. When we pulled the bed out there wasn't enough room to move between bed and door without moving an exceptionally heavy coffee table. Unlike the hotel in Boston no-one put the sofa bed up in the evening, which would have been nice. After the shops/offices have closed the street is very quiet and we were approached several times for change, not sure if there was a soup kitchen or shelter close by but there seemed to be a lot of homeless people. We stayed in New York on four occasions and this was the worst hotel of all, we'll be moving uptown or further downtown next time. Cleanliness wasn't brilliant either, the bathtub was full of hair, as was the bathroom floor and we had to request toilet rolls too. There are vending machines located on several floors, but our floor wasn't operative when we arrived; we met a very nice lady who was going up and down in the lift trying to find drinks and ice. The hotel seemed very busy and going up and down from the 25th floor was a slow process at busy times like check in and out. We didn't use the restaurant but did have drinks in the bar which were a reasonable price for a hotel. We also experienced noise from a hotel roof bar in the street behind our hotel, so have a room at the front if you can.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank joy2travelBirmingham
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 27, 2011

This hotel is on a dirty, grungy street. The entrance is under scaffolding and it is very unappealing. The elevators are totally inadequate -- you wait and wait, and then they come totally full and you have to take the stairs. The rooms are clean but smell of sickly sweet chemicals. The bathroom hardware is falling apart. The gym is ok, but minimal. Good location but depressing place, and not cheap enough to make it worthwhile!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo