“Best boodae jjigae”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Los Angeles
“Best boodae jjigae”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

NY, like LA, has a ton of restaurants, and finding a good one is more difficult than you think. I think what my friends enjoy, I just find okay b/c it's not my type of cuisine. So after a few rounds of just mediocre experiences at various eating spots, I was so happy I came here after a late night out.

First, I haven't hung out til 5AM in a very long time. I was dying. After being at a bar until 3:30AM, the group decides they are hungry...again. As we walk up the steep steps, I momentarily felt claustrophobic when I entered Pocha 32. The netting hangs out, and the shape is long and rectangular. Anyways, we order the boodae jjigae and ddukboki.

This spot gets 5 stars based purely on the boodae jjigae. My husband asks me, how can you even go wrong with this dish? I know it's hard, but the soup base rocked, and helloooo random pasta pieces in it too. If I visit NY again, I'd eat at this place every day.

My one complaint is the cheese. First of all, most Asians are slightly to severely lactose intolerant. What is with Koreans and cheese? And why is it in every dish now? I tolerated it in the boodae jjigae, but enough was enough in the ddukboki. That tasted gross. The random broccoli garnish on top made it look very unappetizing too.

So if you go back, and you're like me, order the soup without the cheese and if you get any other dishes, just say no cheese in case they sneak one in everything they offer. :)

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank keyser_soosie

• Korean first
“Having to ask for Kim Chee in a Korean restaurant is just wrong.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Paid too much for bland Korean food. Was so excited to eat in Korea town of NYC and so let down with this pick. Too bad, looking forward to trying someplace else next time and definitely would no return here.

2 Thank mm8426
Brisbane, Australia
“Great food, hard to find, awesome value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Above a little phone shop, can get quite busy but you can leave your name and number and they will call you.
Get the whole squid stuffed with pork belly, amazing. Also the Watermelon Soju and a few Sapporos goes down real well.

Visited December 2011