“The lamb over rice will be in my dreams .....”
Review of 53rd & 6th Halal

53rd & 6th Halal
Ranked #542 of 13,748 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Halifax, Canada
“The lamb over rice will be in my dreams .....”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went there after reading reviews. Oh - my - goodness! My partner and I each had the combo of chicken and lamb over rice. I'm a big guy, and we could have easily shared one combo. We were eating for taste after about half-way through.

The lamb is amazing, the chicken is a step below and just "good". The combo comes with salad, which gives a nice crunch.

This is a must-do and unique New York experience. I should say that my partner is usually particular about food and street vendors -- cleaniness is a must. She can't stop raving about this place, so that was a wonderful surprise.

As for value, it was $14 for 2 combos plus 2 drinks. Great value for NY.

I will be dreaming of this until the next time I'm in NYC ....

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Florida
“Street food in NY - oh yeah”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went there twice (originally because of recommendation) - perfect location a few blocks away from Rockefeller Plaza. Fast (no lines in December around 9 pm), cheap, hot and tasty - what else do you need when you are a tourist with a busy schedule in NYC? Red sauce is vicious, I opted out the second time. Had a combo platter both times, could not make up my mind.

I did not try food at other halal carts (there are dozens around) so can't compare. It is definitely touristy now, so I checked it off the NYC to-do list and will probably go to other places next time. But no regrets, it is very good.

• Visited December 2012
Oslo, Norway
“Not so special”
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I was expecting a lot from this food cart. But it was disappointing. They serve you som poor unknown lamb meat over rice and that's it. Why bother? They serve exactly the same as every halal food cart in New York. You don't miss out of anything if you avoid this food cart.

1 Thank Tuzemsky
Daytona Beach
“A Big Surprise”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I must say, I wasn't aware of the hype around these guys. It was late, we were hungry and the long line suggested something good. And to our surprise it really was. Definitely worth the wait. Street food doesn't ask for service, so it wasn't even expected or given. The rice, meat, salad,....was all good, but the magic was the white sauce! I would love to have the recipe. It's hard to describe, it tastes so good, you just want more. On a nice summer night to sit outside and eat such simple yet great tasting food, makes the moment unforgettable.

• Visited August 2012
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Way overrated, tastes the same as other street meat places”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I work one block away and have had it multiple times but its way overrated. It might be average for NY street meat, but compared to places I've been in many other countries it pales in comparison. Its definitely not worth waiting in line for when the meat is similar to or the same as the meat at many other street vendors.

• Visited August 2012