“don't forget to visit!”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: British comfort food in a cozy Greenwich Village location. The Scene Decked out like an exaggerated version of a suburban British living room--tacky wallpaper, an extensive teapot collection, lots of ceramic figures, Vera Lynne on the stereo--Tea & Sympathy serves as a cozy home away from home for expats. Sometimes it's a little too cozy, in fact; space is limited, and you can expect to be moved around during your meal to make room for other diners. The friendly but no-nonsense waitstaff is always ready with a smile and a comeback line. The Food The menu offers perfect renditions of such Brit classics as Welsh rarebit (thick bread with melted cheese, tomato and mustard), steak and kidney pie, Scotch egg (hard-boiled egg, deep-fried in pastry), tweed kettle pie (trout and cod wrapped in bacon and served in a pie) and bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato). Any one of these will fill you up for the day; for those on a diet or just faint-hearted, there are lighter sandwiches and salads, too.
Somewhere
“don't forget to visit!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a great experience here for a tea on sunday afternoon. T&S is just a small, warm room with no more than 7 little tables where we ate some lovely scones served with clotted cream an Jam with an inbelievably wide choice of teas. Service was very kind.

• Visited September 2012

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“I love this place!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The staff may be rude but I'd probably be PMSing all the time too if I were a waitress in NYC. They weren't rude to me or my friends at all, I kind of wish they had been.

There's a waitress/boss/womanwhoworksthere who looks like Tilda Swindon. She and her colleague let me take down the pic of Catherine Tate so that I could take a picture with it. You know, because I love Catherine Tate. I liked my cream tea (I just ate the scones and "cream") because I don't understand tea or why people like it. Would I pay $12 for scones and flavored water anywhere else? No.

I think this place should be part of the ultimate NYC experience. You know, English food/NY 'tude. THE STORE NEXT DOOR IS SO COOL, THEY HAVE FRUIT GUMS!!! AND PENGUINS!!

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank UlcerGirl
New York City, New York
“Appalling, rude service; bad interior”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I didn't actually manage to taste the tea. I ordered a scone and tea to reach the mandatory minimum 11.95$. Having explained to the waitress that I have a severe gluten allergy, I asked for the scone to be wrapped up for my friend, so that she could take it home with her (as I could not eat it). She had ordered a cream tea. The owner marched up to us and angrily informed us that we had to actually eat the food at the table. She was so angry and loud that I suggested to my friend that we should go elsewhere, to which she shouted "that's a good idea!". Obviously, had I eaten the food item, I would have been very ill. I did not feel like paying more than the minimum for over priced salads, the only other thing I could eat on the menu. The fact that the place has the word "Sympathy" in its name is a terrible irony. We left, feeling upset at having been yelled at, for no good reason. A truly awful experience. It's possible the owner's anger and rudeness reflects a certain bigotry, not sure what warranted this kind of horrible treatment.

• Visited July 2012
8 Thank Lavender S
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A nice surprize home from home”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

On my travels across the states l bumped into a street impersonator who looked like mike myers he gave me a card to go and have a visit. The welcome you received was like you would receive back home food was great would recommend them all day. Will be back again when i'm in New York

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank David M
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A cream tea , in NYC !”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is a tiny tea shop a couple of doors up from A Salt and Battery , where we had our fish and chip fix first and then a pot of tea and a scone with jam and cream were the order of the day.
There is a little bench outside as the place only seats 23 , the shop was full as we entered , but the young lady inside greeted us as we went in and politely asked us to wait outside as a table would be available to the 4 of us in about 5 mins.
True to their word, table was cleared and we were called in to our table, there is a minimum requirement to spend $11.95 per person , which is the cost of the cream tea, so we just went for that as we had already had our fish and chips , they do offer a selection of savoury meals as well as tea and cakes.
They offer a selection of teas, but we just wanted a straight down the line English breakfast cuppa , the scones were very nice , but I have to say a little on the small side, and as scones are relatively inexpensive to make , this would have made one feel that you are getting a bit more bang for your buck .
All in all tho, a novel experience to go to a tea shop in NYC.

Visited April 2012