“My favorite breakfast spot in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: British comfort food in a cozy Greenwich Village location. The Scene Decked out like an exaggerated version of a suburban British living room--tacky wallpaper, an extensive teapot collection, lots of ceramic figures, Vera Lynne on the stereo--Tea & Sympathy serves as a cozy home away from home for expats. Sometimes it's a little too cozy, in fact; space is limited, and you can expect to be moved around during your meal to make room for other diners. The friendly but no-nonsense waitstaff is always ready with a smile and a comeback line. The Food The menu offers perfect renditions of such Brit classics as Welsh rarebit (thick bread with melted cheese, tomato and mustard), steak and kidney pie, Scotch egg (hard-boiled egg, deep-fried in pastry), tweed kettle pie (trout and cod wrapped in bacon and served in a pie) and bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potato). Any one of these will fill you up for the day; for those on a diet or just faint-hearted, there are lighter sandwiches and salads, too.
Washington
“My favorite breakfast spot in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I adore Tea & Sympathy! The quirky decor, the kitsch tea-pots and most of all the British breakfast treats. These may be the best pork sausages in North America and when served with HP sauce I'm just in heaven. I also love the tea options particularly the Rosie. I haven't ordered the scones yet but my girlfriend loves them. When I first discovered this wonderful spot I thought it would only appeal to an expat palette (or perhaps my unsophisticated Irish palette) but my girlfriend is a genuine foodie and she loves it!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ECB2010

New York City, New York
“Great comfort food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

It's a reliable neighborhood spot that just smells like comfort when you walk in. Warm and cozy, all of the food makes you feel comforted. If you're ever jonesing for some tasty British staples, I'd recommend.

1 Thank ajs1707
North Pole, Alaska U.S.A.
“Fantastic Scones”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

My daughter and I have a deep love of many British things. I had seen an interview on the news around the time of the wedding of William and Catherine last year with the Tea & Sympathy staff. I looked it up online and my daughter and I both agreed we would make it a point to go their when next we were in NYC.

It was a rainy, chilly day when we visited and we ordered tea for two. We received a lovely assortment of finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and jam, pudding, tarts and cakes. We also had two pots of tea. They have a huge assortment of teas.

Although not rude, I was not overly impressed by the waitstaff. They did not stop by the table to ask if anything was needed or how things were. I had to flag them down to get additional water for the tea. There were only a few people in the restaurant - so it wasn't like they were so busy.

The scones were especially delicious and the decor of the tiny restaurant was very campy and fun. Mismatched china and floral tablecloths added to the charm.

It was a bit pricey - but they did bring out a lot of food - more than two people could possibly eat! We both agreed it was fun to go there and if we are in the neighborhood would stop by again - but get something a bit smaller.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TundraPup
Winchendon, Massachusetts
“didn't even get through the front door”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

I know this place has gotten rave reviews and my friend and I were really looking forward to lunch here. Upon arriving, we noticed a list of 'Nicky's Rules' that laid out what was to be expected of the patron before stepping foot in their establishment. I'm sure they have their reasons for having to post such things, but I found it tacky and insulting. I don't need a sign to tell me that the staff is always right, tips are expected, and there is a minimum $9.50 charge per person. We took our business down to Pastis which was fabulous and highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of Balthazar. Thanks Nicky!

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kdpezz
boca raton florida
“a true bit of the British Isles in the middle of Greenwich Village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have been going to Tea & Sympathy for years and although I have move out of the NYC area, whenever I am in Manhatten I make it a priority to have dinner there. Located on an interesting Greenwich Village street, this tiny establishment (maximum 22 people) dishes out the best English food I have ever had in the states (and beats many of the places I have eaten in the UK as well). The British expats that inhabit the place and take orders and deliver the food are helpful, friendly and right out of what you would expect from a workingman's carvery or pub in England. The shepards pie is incredibly good (I prefer the beef version but there is also lamb) and the scones with raspberry jam and double clotted cream are to die for. My last visit there my anglophile colleague I was introducing to the place rated the bangers and mash the best he had ever had on either side of the pond. The place often has expats eating there and last time I was there there was a girl just off the plane from the UK with her luggage still in hand having a home-cooked meal.

As I mentioned, the restaurant is tiny and the staff may move you to another table during your meal to accomodate another party. Nicki's girls as the staff is called have rules and they are posted on the tiny door outside, please be polite and observe them. I haven't seen the original owner Nikci for some years but her presence is still there. On the daily typed-up specials for the day, at the bottom of the sheet are the words 'God save the Queen" and there are no truer words spoken about the special nature of this place.

• Visited July 2011