“Not meeting the basics”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #205 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I'm all for hotels with cool design and hip lobbies. I will even pay more for those things.
But you have to hit the basics.
My shower didn't work. My blinds were broken. The window was streaky with haphazard cleaning. I could go on. I mentioned it to the front desk twice and they didn't even make a passing effort at offering good customer service.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Playdough43
AshtonatAce, Front Office Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Playdough43,

I hate to hear that we did not address the problems in your room in while you were staying with us. Basic amenities should be functional, and it seems like we did not handle the issues with your room in the proper way.

Your feedback is invaluable to us, and I would like to know what room you were staying in so the problems can be addressed immediately. Please feel free to email me at matthew.warren@acehotel.com or give me a call at 212.679.2222. I want to make this right for you and hear more about where we dropped the ball.

Best,

Matthew Warren
Assitant Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Even if you don't stay here, have a cocktail in the lobby (or grab a Stumptown and bring it there). Lots of activity and buzz and outstanding people-watching. Great place to write. I used to walk 25 blocks twice a week to buy coffee and hang out and meet friends here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Hi friesfrench,
Thank you for your feedback and recommendation. The effort you made to visit us twice a week truly makes us smile. We appreciate it very much.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I'm staying at Ace right now and am just not happy at all. Didn't get checked in until 2:45 although I was on "priority list" since I was arriving early. I know check in time is 3, but I just don't believe no one checked out til 12. Also the bathroom is the darkest I've ever seen. Even in daytime. No way I could do my makeup here. I'm using the room table with a light above it and a little mirror I have and still can't see very well there. Also all rooms are supposed to have a safe; mine does not. My TV was also not working when I got to room and maintenance had to fix. My phone is showing I have a msg, but when pressing msg button, I just get a fast busy signal.

Room Tip: I had a medium room. Good size for NYC
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Karin B
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Hi Karin B.,
Thank you very much for your feedback and for offering us the opportunity to speak with you personally. We are sincerely sorry for the issues you faced during your stay. We hope you will offer us a second chance. We would love the opportunity to regain your confidence during your next stay.
Warm regards,
Matthew "Mac" Warren and the Staff of Ace New York

Reviewed August 1, 2014

It's no surprise this hotel is way too hip for its own good, but the way it does hip isn't overbearing like some hostels I've been too. This hotel feels like you're staying at a good friend's place, because the rooms are so cozy and full of warmth. The only negative is the noisy lobby like so many have mentioned already, but this hotel is well worth staying. Oh, and as an Aussie, the adjoining Stumpton's Coffee in the lobby was very welcome in the mornings because a good cup of Joe in the States is hard to find!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at the Ace on a Saturday night in what they call a "Basic" room. It was small and there was just enough room to walk around the bed. We asked for a cot so that my daughter could stay in the room but were told it would not fit in the room. They were right. It was also very cool by being "Basic". Nothing fancy but clean and in very good condition. The lobby was dark in a...here's that word again...cool way with large couches and many people working their electronics. Great location and I would stay there again without hesitation. This quote was on a tile in the shower, "Want a Fresh Towel? Leave it in the tub. No tub? Leave it in the shower. No shower? Leave it in the sink. No sink? Leave it on the floor. No floor? Leave." Nicely sums up a great attitude. Fun and witty. Also seemed like a good crowd staying there that was a mix of families and singles.

Room Tip: My room overlooked windows across a light shaft. So if you want a view this might not be best. But i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank George R
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thanks George R.!
We appreciate your feedback and are happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Your promise to return means a lot to us and we will look forward to it.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I am a regular visitor to New York and have stayed in various hotels. This was my first time to the Ace Hotel and before I arrived I did think that it might be taking itself too seriously, with it's very cool image. However I was more than pleasantly surprised to find the place extremely welcoming, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. It might look cool from the outside but once in it I found it to be an extremely well run hotel. The rooms were spotless and the staff were very accommodating. This on top of the excellent location (perfect for Downtown shopping and just round the corner from the subway) makes this an excellent choice for a place to stay in New York.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Jill D
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Hi Jill D.,
So many choices in NYC, we thank you for giving the us the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you at Ace! We appreciate your feedback and think it's great that you found yourself pleasantly surprised by the service and amenities offered to you. We look forward to seeing you again!
xoxo,

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My sister, bother, pug, and I stayed at the Ace Hotel July 4th weekend for my bachelorette night- fiancé’s treat! When we checked in, the front desk told us if we waited a few minutes they would have a better room available. They gave us drink tickets to use at the lobby bar and coffee shop and that was cool with us. The drink menu at the bar is great- if you just want a glass of rosé like me or a cocktail. I like the dark atmosphere of the lobby too- especially since it was the beginning of summer. it would be a great place to go on a date for a drink. They even brought our luggage to our room. The room- bigger than I expected. We stayed in a double and it was like a NYC apt. I'm very picky about beds - the beds are so comfortable. Very soft, lots of pillows. We had a partial view of the Empire State Building. The bathroom was very spacious, the rain shower was amazing. The room was very clean too. We also had a fridge & two comfy sweatshirt-like robes, which my sister and I claimed while we got ready. The room service menu was quite pricey- we were hungry and wanted something to snack on while we got ready to go out. We ordered a cheese plate (over $20) that came with a few crackers, and cubes of different cheeses. It was very good but wish it came with more for the price. I did have to go two floors down for ice but the hotel is pretty easy to navigate although someone had to tell me where the ice room was because I never would've found it. I was disappointed the photo booth in the lobby was not working when we were there but still took pictures with our own camera inside it. The lattes at the coffee shop were delicious! I wish we had more time to stay and check out the restaurants. Next time! Also didn't get to use the gym- which my sister passed and immediately regretted not bringing gym clothes. In terms of location- it was a less than $10 cab ride to Broadway where we saw a show and then went out to karaoke. My sister who is an actress on tour said it was the nicest hotel she ever stayed in. We were all sad to leave- including the pug!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kelliprettypink
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Hi kelliprettypink,
From all of us to all of you (including the Pug!) Thank You for your lovely feedback. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. The robes are pretty special and the gym will be here when you return. We promise and look forward to it!