“SUPER COOL, SUPER HOT!!!”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #197 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you want a REAL treat, book here...seriously. It's one of those hotels you don't want to leave, and if you're after impressing somebody, don't mess around looking anywhere else.
The rooms are reasonably sized and priced. All the small details are what counts for me and from toiletries to the lobby, everything has been carefully designed.
There are two wicked restaurant on site, Breslin and John Dory as well as a hip coffee shop. The lobby is that cool peeps just come to hang out and drink, Dj's play most nights.
I wouldn't think twice to book again here, I literally wanted to buy everything they had for sale (from dressing gowns to bags)
ACE hotel is what it says on the tin...ACE!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nick w
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Hello Nick W. -
We can feel your joy and enthusiasm and it makes us really happy! Thank you for your visit and feedback.
We look forward to seeing you again.
xoxo,
The Staff of Ace NY

Write a ReviewReviews (1,762)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This midtown hotel, located in what's considered the Nomad district (North Of MADison Square Garden), is very hipster-cool. The friendly staff have a bohemian-punk appeal but don't come across too edgy or flighty. In fact, they are delightfully acommodating. We had been in contact about our late arrival, due to weather, and the desk clerk upgraded us for our troubles. I'm sure they had a number of cancellations as well, but she was super sweet, none the less. The rooms are uniquely decorated and ours came with a great view of the Empire State Building! The room is dark, black walls and carpet, but it's not a deterrent at all. The soaps/shampoos provided by the hotel are great, which is not something I get to say very often. There were even in room robes that felt like a beautiful combination of a towel and a sweatshirt. If I had more than a carry-on available I'd have purchased one to take home.
The lobby feels like a locals' hang out and is noisy and welcoming at the same time. The amazing thing is that the noise doesn't carry up to the rooms at all. Drinks at the bar will run about $13, but it's worth it at least once to feel part of that scene. Then head up to your room, put on your jammies, and snuggle up in the delightfully cozy bed. I don't normally take note of pillows, but they were so fluffy and the sheets were so warm I didn't want to leave the bed to explore the city.
I really can't say enough about this great, affordable hotel and it's staff. My only hope is that they are still affordable the next time we head into the city! It's really too good to be true.

Room Tip: I think there are some cheaper rooms with shared bathrooms, so know what kind of room you are bookin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brianne P
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Brianne P,
Thank you for your feedback - temperatures like these call for a warm robe and comfy bed. It was the perfect time to take advantage of it and we are glad to read you were able to indulge!
Please come back and see us again!
For those reading Room Tips, we would like to clarify that all Ace NY rooms have a private bath.
All the best,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Entertained a guest on his first trip to NY during the Super Bowl and the Ace is hands down the best place to stay - having stayed here multiple times myself. We were upgraded to a Loft (if you ever get the chance book one) which is larger than most NYC apartments. Every room is uniquely shaped and has a slight variation of amenities. The entire staff is welcoming and caters to whatever you need. The lobby is amazing all times of the day but at night DJs regularly play to the lobby bar crowd. You also can't miss breakfast or brunch at the Breslin which is right off the lobby or Stumptown coffee if you're in a rush. The Ace will always be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: I usually ask for a room on the 3rd floor or higher to avoid the lobby noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Francene C

Hello Francene C.
Ahhh the Loft! It is a magical room, isn't it?
We love and appreciate being considered your second home.
Thank you for your review and see you real soon.
xoxo

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We spent New Year's Eve in this hotel and coming from Christmas at the Waldorf it's easy to say our standards are very high.
I fell in love with the decor immediately very east side cool with nothing to complain about. We got upgraded on check in BONUS!
We had vinyl player in the room and a Smeg fridge, cable tv and needless to say we spent most of nye in the room.
Ice machine on every floor and cool bar down stairs if New York wasn't so great I would leave the hotel, restaurant, bar, coffee shop and barbers.
I'm making it my mission to try the la hotel and shore ditch London isn't that far.
Will defiantly be going back!

Room Tip: Don't go for small you get a lot more for the medium room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hi Lisa-likes-to-travel,
We enjoyed reading your feedback very much and are happy to read there are plans to explore our other Ace locations. Thank you!
Please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist.
xoxo

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The way return to hotels that place social connectivity at the heart of what they do was way overdue. Ace have done it. A great collection of lobby 'hang-out', two restaurants and a bar take the emphasis away from the 'room product' (which separates us humans) and places it back on crafting a real sense of community. The place has buzz, energy and a real sense of rhythm. It has an industrial edge, is unfussy in design concept and feels invitingly comfortable.

But....it also seems to have a desire to be a little too cool at the expense of delivery.

In the restaurant there is a policy that they don't seat you for breakfast until all your group have arrived. I don't think this is very warm and welcoming, but I could live with it if it was explained politely. However, the short-blonde-haired waitress simply asked for my name and then proceeded to stare into outer-space. On inquiring what was likely to happen next (expecting to plunge into a piping hot cup of coffee at my table on a cold and snowy New York morning) she then explained the policy to me. Again, she seemed to be more machine than human as when I asked why this was a policy she said she'd get the manager. I told her there was no need for this as I was talking to her and not her boss. She blandly repeated that this was the rule, but if I wanted a seat at the bar I was welcome to one.... I told her this was a silly rule and her delivery left so much to be desired that I would take my morning coffee and croissants at an establishment that understood the concept of politeness.

Likewise, we had a problem with our room card on four occasions and on each occasion had to descend from 12th floor to lobby and back again. OK, these things happen with technology, but the human response was all mis-wired. Just a real lack of empathy.

Add to that.... no electricity next to the desk, the fact that you need to sign in to the internet each day (even though it's free), the door did not self-lock on exit on numerous occasions and the shower pressure and heat was somewhat random.

There were many other good things: some really nice members of staff, comfortable beds, great decor in the public spaces (although I would have liked some spaces in the lobby area with a bit more light).

It's not far away from being an outstanding and unique hotel, but a few staff and product let-downs rendered it something of a frustration.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Hi Thebrandcompany:
The feedback you posted regarding your stay is valuable and we thank you for it. Comments like these help us improve and also motivates us to do better. We hope you will accept our apology for the way in which your breakfast seating and key card de-activation was handled. Your review will be shared in our department meetings and better communication will ensue! We hope you will offer us a second chance. We think you enjoyed a lot of your Ace NY visit and we are confident your next experience can delight you even more! Please feel free to reach out to any of us.
We would love to assist you. nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights and had a really great stay. We booked a room with two double beds to accommodate three. (ourselves and our daughter 18) The room was spacious and on the 11th floor with great views of the Empire State Bldg. The beds and the linen were superb. Really comfortable.Not something often mentioned in a review but the rooms have an incredibly well stocked mini bar, the best we've ever seen. Despite the noisy lobby and nightlife in the hotel we found our room was a quiet cosy haven.
Staff at reception and the guys welcoming us and hailing taxis were all very accommodating and genuinely wanted to give advice about best places to go etc.
The lobby area is constantly busy with hip locals drinking coffee and using the free internet. It has a great vibe, but as a hotel guest it is a hassle to find spare seats.
The location is fantastic. Walking distance to everywhere you want/need to go and a tube station nearby.
So whats not to like? Not much really. Everyone says it....but its true! Its too dark for doing anything practical..reading, working etc. The lights in the bedroom all switch independently and even after turning everything on its still too dark ( and a bit of a pain to turn them all off when leaving the room) however, it does add to the eclectic atmosphere. ...but The Ace Hotel is not one to choose for work. Its a fun place to hang out and soak up the vibe, so I guess who needs light!
Our only real complaint were the staff in The Breslin restaurant. Their service was very superficial and they gave the impression they would rather be serving someone else. They were consistently forgetful and slow to serve. (It took three attempts to get a cappuccino, they kept returning to ask what we ordered or bought the wrong thing.) Despite the service we had a delicious breakfast but it was expensive in comparison to other places locally and the attitude of the staff put us off returning at all during our stay. A shame as we had intended to eat at The Breslin several times.

Useful tips for restaurants nearby:
We ate at The Nomad, two blocks walk and had an AMAZING dinner where service and food is superb. Dos Caminos also just a couple of blocks walk is a great Mexican restaurant. (Also dark and with loud music but fantastic food and atmosphere!) We had a great American diner breakfast at Murray Hill Diner -recommendation by previous trip adviser Ace guest.

In summary the good far far outweighs the negative. If you want to stay somewhere a bit different in a great location and you are aged between 21 and 40 and don't need light to read small print, I can't think of anywhere better in NYC!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quiet and some like 1112 have great views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Zoola2000
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Hello Zoola200,

Thank you so much for your great feedback! We're happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time. Our staff is the reason we have such a fantastic place to spend our time, they really are special.

That said, we're sorry you felt your room was so dark. The next time you visit we'll make sure to get you in a brighter room. We do have an aesthetic that lends itself to some darker themes but also have something for everyone here so i'm sure we can show you something much different next time. We've also forwarded your review to the Breslin management to address the service you recieved while dining with them. I do hope when you come back that we can find a way to make that experience up for you.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we're happy to help at any time. Our email is nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com.

Daniel Culbert
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Wow where do you start with the ACE Hotel. The place is COOL, it is FUNKY and it is really friendly too!

The room are large and unique... not luxurious but functional and enough space to kick back and relax. The main reception/bar is the hub of the place with free wi-fi; great service; good drinks and snacks.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business