“Cool & FUNKY”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #205 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Wow where do you start with the ACE Hotel. The place is COOL, it is FUNKY and it is really friendly too!

The room are large and unique... not luxurious but functional and enough space to kick back and relax. The main reception/bar is the hub of the place with free wi-fi; great service; good drinks and snacks.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 27, 2014

i stayed at the ACE hotel for a business trip. Cool hotel with industrial design, size room are very ok for New York. Great Shop for check in.
Short walk to subway, have tried oyster bar next to it wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay in June! It will be nice to have you back, slyBangkok. Please let us know if we can assist in any way.

All the best,

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I've stayed at the Thompson LES and the Standard Hotel and as a hip hotel experience this was better. It was like staying in a Hipster Theme Park designed by Wes Andersen's production team which sounds awful was actually a very relaxing stay. The room design is full of 'props' which put you in a different state of mind. For example each room has original art work and vintage fixtures used as often as possible. We loved the downbeat aesthetic and old world touches.

I stayed in both the Double Suite and then the Mini Suite.

The Double suite had two queen size beds, a Smeg fridge, a large wooden picnic table.We stocked up the fridge with our own food and then spent a lot of time in the room recovering from our big nights out. With the olde worlde radio tuned to some jazz station it really felt were staying in a divey hotel in the 50s....but everything was clean and slightly luxe! It was so romantic - I'll always remember this interlude we had at the Ace Hotel, NYC.

The bathroom was awesome! Loved the full size bath tub with the 12 feet high drapes.

The lobby of the hotel is a very popular wifi/coffee place that segues into a nightclub at night. I wouldn't say very cool people go to it either - it's more like suits in their late 20s on their way home. It is absurd walking out into that lobby every time you make your way out.

The rooms are very tightly curated and everything is for sale. They don't give you much - there is free shampoo, conditioner and soap that's it.

The beddings are so comfortable. The mattress is like an expensive, soft futon.

I also stayed in a Mini Suite after my partner left for Canada. This room is snug. The bathroom is almost as large as the bedroom. It was really fairly priced ($148USD) but it was dingy and dark. The Double Suite was also dark but in a smaller room you notice it more.

The tap was broken in my bathroom which was annoying. Somebody emptied out a beer in my fridge and replaced it with water. Lastly my fridge wasn't clean.

The staff at the hotel were mostly fine.

The Breslin is the house hotel. It's almost impossible to dine there on the weekend - we had an hour wait, which was fine as we just went back to our hotel room and then got called. The food is very expensive and very salty.

Our meal which was two courses plus wine was about $250USD, which seemed a lot for what was essentially very salty bistro food. The dessert was gross - it was peanut butter mousse and had taste and texture of expensive snot. Our main courses were lovely - I had flounder with mussels and Ben had tongue and ox bone stew.

There is an Opening Ceremony in the complex - I'm not sure if anyone actually shops there - there was dust on the shelves.

Room Tip: -Don't stay on the side facing Broadway it's louder -stay as high as you can it's quiet...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher-Hus... B
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was my second stay at the ACE.

Last time there were some issues with a musty odour in the room but I still enjoyed my stay.

This time I was truly impressed by the excellent and personalized customer service experience. Many of the staff seemed familiar with my situation (every preference is recorded on file) and went out of their way to accommodate my repeat visit. I received a complimentary upgrade (two in fact), delicious handmade in Brooklyn caramels (the ones known as Firesides are incredible), and a bottle of wine on the house. The level of communication ahead of my stay was really excellent.

Housekeeping was excellent even at odd hours - one day I had forgotten to take off the 'Not Now' magnet from the door and returned around 7pm to a room that was not made up. I asked at reception and even though the fault was on my side, this was attended to right away. I spent half an hour chatting in the cool lobby and then went up to a wonderful clean room.

The flowers you can choose for your bouquet downstairs were gorgeous, the lobby heaved with the cool New York hipster crowd this place is known for, Stumptown Coffee tempted away. The shops were also too cool (as ever).

I like the dark rooms: atmospheric but perhaps less suited to a business clientele.

If there is something that could make the experience even better, I would rethink the corridors (there is something prison-like about the dark and metal combination here), introduce a rooftop free breakfast bar serving organic local products to guests (amid lush greenery, while I'm at it), and provide incentives to dine in-house.

All in all, I love this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Discovering_the_new
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear discovering_the_new,
Thank you for your latest feedback - especially your rooftop suggestions! We like. Did you see the pictures of our DTLA's rooftop? Sounds like it's the place for you - check it out.
We hope to see you again.
xoxo,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We first stayed at the hotel in 2011 and loved it so much we returned there for Christmas! The rooms are pretty big for New York (we stayed in a medium room) and the beds are so comfy it's difficult to leave! It has a great coffee shop on the ground floor but when it's too busy there's plenty more options nearby...that's the great thing about Ace, the location is perfect! There's a host of attractions, restaurants, shops and bars in close distance and the transport links are literally right on your doorstep.

The only negative would be that we preferred the room much more the first time around. I appreciate it's all to do with personal taste but the overall design was much nicer. That being said it's still an awesome hotel and I would definitely recommend it. I've stayed in 5 NYC hotels and this would definitely come out top.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Hello GinaAlexandria:
It means a lot to us that you returned for a second stay! Thank you. Please feel free to reach out to us at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com prior to your third visit so we can book the room that is right for you. It would be a pleasure to assist.
xoxo

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Cool hotel with amazing design (industrial), nice hall with free wi-fi and cafeteria (great brioches!). Wonderful location, between Broadway and 5th avenue - 1 min walk from Madison Park and 30 sec walk from Subway. Stunning view from the rooms: right in front of the Empire State Building.
Things that should be free: tea bags in the room, luggage deposit (25$ each if more than 1 day).

Room Tip: ask for a room with Empire View
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marta83_Varese

Hi Marta83_Varese,
Thank you for your visit and valuable feedback. We are super happy to read you enjoyed your stay. We always take guest suggestions into consideration and we thank you for providing yours.
Warm regards and hope to see you again soon!
xoxo

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Everything about ACE hotel is great: location, decoration, comfortable beds and fluffy pillows, helpful stuff, vibrant bar and caffe in the lobby, nice gym, everything you need for an unforgettable stay is there!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Constantina-Mar
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Many thanks Constantina-Mar!
We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.
Warm regards,