“OK”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #174 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I thought this hotel would be great, but it is trying a little too hard - not a hotel for the over 35's
People are paying to stay here but you cannot even get a seat in the lobby for a drink it is so crowded!
Decor was great and the room was a good size. But the outside noise of the traffic was constant. Soundproofing is not great at the front of the hotel.
We wouldn't stay here again.
When I made the booking I asked for a late checkout as we had a late and long flight home. Surely with a lot of notice this could have been organised? But no, was told to ask on the departure day and guess what, we couldn't be accomodated. Not a great way to look after guests, I would have paid extra for this service but wasn't even given the option of moving to another room.

Room Tip: try the back as the front has no soundproofing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hi Kate and Andy,
Oh, you were right to think your stay at Ace would be a great one and we sincerely apologize if things fell short. Lobby seats are always available for hotel guests but sometimes require assistance from a hotel staff member and I am sorry if the option was not brought to your attention. Your request for a late check - out was noted on your reservation and I am not sure why you weren’t given some options to accommodate that request. I am looking into that now. I have noted your preference for a quiet room in your profile and I hope you will let us know when you are returning to NYC. I would love for you to offer us a second chance and will personally look after your stay to make sure it meets your expectation next time!
Warm regards,
Lisa and the Ace Staff

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I travel to NYC every now and then, to see an exhibition or two and go shopping. I have tried several hotels so far (Gershwin, The Jane, Ink48, among others) and Ace is my favorite. The location is convenient, at a walking distance from Penn Station.
During my 2-night stay, the service was very friendly and efficient. The food at The Breslin and John Dory Oyster Bar, two restaurants right next to the hotel, was absolutely delicious.
I had a mini-room on the 10th floor, the view was decent, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and of a reasonable size. I didn't hear any noise at night.
The clientele is on the young-and-hip side, so is the staff.
I would definitely stay there again on my next trip, if I manage to get a good price.

Room Tip: A higher floor may guarantee a better view. A friend of mine stayed on the 5th floor and she had a v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel, best out of 6 recent trips to NY. Will return.

Great vibe, top service, large rooms, good coffee. Only minor downsides are that the shower is a little small and power points sparse in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Lovely clean, comfortable room, credit to the maids. Good location, very comfy bed.
Arrived and the lady on the desk could not find our booking and was very rude and had an attitude problem, she did not reassure us or anything, after a 10 hour flight and spending alot of money for 4 nights it was a very disappointing start to what promised to be an excellent hotel. Recommended to us by friends who were disappointed to hear about our experience.
Need another lounge just for guests, could not even get a seat in the lobby to have a quiet drink and to send emails etc. Will not recommend to my friends and will stay at the Standard next time.

• Stayed: June 2013
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Hi jojooberg:
It was great speaking to you and thank you again for your time and feedback. We look forward to seeing you again and sharing a new Ace NY experience!
Warm regards,
Sean and The Ace Staff

Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is not a hotel for everybody, but if you're tired of the usual stuff - go for it. The lobby is a booming disco late into the night, but the noise isolation is good enough for the music not to interfere with the sleep. The rooms are designed with a lot of originality (I won't spoil the surprise here), yet are quite convenient. The only thing I didn't like was the sink located inside the room (as opposed to the bathroom). Also, there was no hot water in the shower in the evening, but the staff were quite apologetic about that, and gave me a coffee coupon in compensation :) - in the morning the hot water was there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hello dimrub,
You have our word - and preference has been noted where your sink should be ! We have a lot of unique room layouts so we can definitely make this happen.
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we can't wait to have you back.
All the best,
The Staff at Ace NY

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I did not stay here but we went to see their lobby.
People come here to hook up to the internet and do work at one of the tables.
Very artsy crowd.
There are places to grab a bite to eat but people definitely brought some food in.
I noticed from 5:00-6:00 a business crowd shuffles in and the bar takes off.
This is a very crowded happening lobby. We hung out for about 1 1/2hrs but people
clearly come here to hang out, work, have a coffee or a drink.
Interesting concept but you should be aware of this and make sure that's what you want
in a hotel. Walk downstairs and people watch or just hang out.
It is very clean and classy(not fancy).
We almost went back a second time on our weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wasntme58
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I live in NYC but decided to treat my boyfriend to a mini "stay-cation" in New York for his birthday. The hotel itself is very nice and busy - however don't expect to be able to lounge around in the cozy lobby. It's a hipster zone of Mac computers and thick rimmed glasses - 3 days and we never saw one open seat unless it was really late at night. The rooms were great and the hotel was very clean and accommodating. our room had a guitar which was a nice touch and the painting/decor was very cozy. My only complaints were that our room wasn't ready on time despite requesting early check in, we had something messengered there and they couldn't find it for about 25 minutes, and at night it was really warm and we couldnt adjust the air conditioning in the room. Other than that it was a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Hey Sarah R,

Thanks for choosing Ace New York to celebrate! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we wanted to say thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We will always try to accommodate early check ins. Sometimes with sold out nights it is out of our hands, I'm sorry that we couldn't make that happen for you. We can store luggage and we do offer to call and notify our guests as soon as rooms are ready for early check ins. Happy belated birthday!

The Staff at Ace