“Quirky”

Ranked #211 of 467 Hotels in New York City
hk
“Quirky”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The vibe is cool and there are quirky details in the room. The minibar and snacks offered are not your run-of-the -mill offerings and make for some amusing exploring. I thought the room size was fine for NYC and I enjoyed the bath products very much. The staff were friendly and, though they may seem very laidback, they know what they are doing. I only wished the room wasn't so dim. I can understand the low lighting for mood in the lobby (almost night-club level dim) but the rooms could do with a few more lighting options or a higher wattage bulb perhaps. Otherwise, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location. Great decor. the rooms are a bit small, but its NYC. from the crowd to the staff everyone was so Hip.
i like this place even for coffee and drinks... which is perfect cuz i can just flop up to my room when im done.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I landed at the Ace Hotel after a mix up with my intended Hilton. Being a loyal Hilton customer I was a little nervous when sent to a hotel with a name I didn't recognize. Hiltons may not always be the most interesting, but at least you know what to expect. The Ace was a fun departure from the ordinary. The design concept was very clever and well-executed. It had been a few years since I had been to NYC and I had forgotten how small hotel rooms can be. My little room was very well done with a sense of humor.
After a long day of traveling I was not quite up for the party in the lobby or the busy restaurants. Room service was good and the snacks and drinks in the room were very nice. The staff was lovely, helped me with a running route.
Worth noting: at noon on your checkout day your keycard will stop working. This would not have been a problem if I had been paying attention to the time. The staff was very kind in reactivating my card with no hassle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hi Chrissy B,
Thank you for your review and especially for pointing out the things that seemed to delight you during your stay at Ace. I hope you will keep those things in mind should a mix-up occur in the future!
It would be lovely to have you back with us. Please let us know if we can assist.
All the best,
Lisa and The Staff at Ace NY
SP
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had the most wonderful 8 days in New York, last November. There's a lot to like about this hotel. The beds are super comfy, the bathroom is really cute and the shower is great. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Good location. Excellent restaurant. I was expecting very small rooms, actually our room was quite OK. I have stayed in many many hotels in New York and so far this has been my favourite. We loved it and have already made reservations to return in April to celebrate my birthday!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adri C
Happy Upcoming Birthday adriccampos!
It's the biggest compliment to hear you will return. We look forward to celebrating your birthday next month and Thank You for your comments.
See you soon,
Lisa and the Ace NY Crew
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really wanted to stay here because of all the hype. I have stayed in the ACE in Palm Springs, and it was just meh. Friends abd colleagues liked this ACE, so we thought we may as well try it. It is a very trendy hipster too-cool-for-you type place. They have made a virtue of no closets (just open shelving and hanger rods), inadequate lighting, cracks on the wall, and limited amenities (even though most are from Rudy's, which I like). You can really tell who they are trying to appeal to based on the size of the fridge and what it is stocked with (lots of alcohol). The bed was comfortable, and the graphics throughout the room, and the hotel itself, are a "young" designer's dream. The scene at Stumptown coffee, bar, and restaurant downstairs were definitely hopping, and the attached stores were very curated with everything a wannabe jetsetter would want. But, this is probably the last time I will stay at an ACE. I think I am too old to get a kick out of the hipness of it all, and too cynical to appreciate the aesthetic.

Room Tip: Slow elevators, so if you are impatient, choose a lower floor. But then, you may get the noise from...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank reyledda
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi reyledda,
We appreciate you staying with us, and giving us a try. We're sad to hear that you felt Ace wasn’t for you; and wanted you to know, we actually don’t try to be for one specific demographic.
On the contrary, we love the diversity of our guests and seek to welcome everyone. One way we encourage this is by offering everything from bunk bed rooms for travelers on lower budgets, to Loft rooms replete with amenities; and various room types in between.
We're glad you liked the Rudy’s products, slept well in our comfortable bed and enjoyed the artwork in the room. Still, we can appreciate if we're not your favorite hotel, and we think this was more a matter of taste rather than age.
We are taking your comments into consideration, and are looking into the lighting in some of our darker rooms.

All the best,
The Staff at Ace NY
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The reason im not giving 5 stars a ross the board is only Bc the wifi and tv on demand were down, as was the cable for all intensive purposes. I personally had none of these things disclosed to me upon arrival and only read of it in a very small sign in the corner pf the elevator, but I did hear guests being told upon who where checking in as I was leaving, albeit after they had handed over a credit card for incidentals.

But I can tell you that the ace is beautiful the rooms are brand new, mine was a medium king which was large for nyc, the shower is ENORMOUS literally it goes back about 8.Feet and the Rudy's brand shampoo and conditioner (16$ for sale in the lobby which isn't that bad) is amazing and smells like heaven, and I'm so picky about my hair products. The staff (front desk, 24 hour room service and bell man) are young enthusiastic and super friendly however Bc of this it's that much more obvious when you run into someone who maybe doesn't smile.
Everyone is local and knows the area well, they really have exceptional service. Above and beyond.

The hotel is a very hip place the lobby is part bar/lounge with events/entertainment 7 nights a week and can be extremely loud if your standing in the lovby but you would never know once you enter the elevator. The rooms are utterly cut off from the noise of the lobby however they do have thin walls and if your in the hallway you can hear everything from inside any room you pass by. But it's New York

Seriously this place is amazing the minibar is fabulously stocked room service is a bit limited but very fairly priced. It was a great experience and well worth the money ill be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mandirichman
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear mandirichman-
Thank you for your review and most of all your understanding. Please rest assured the wifi and tv outage you experienced was an isolated event. This was the first time we have experienced a building wide outage since we opened our doors and knowing you will return to Ace is the biggest compliment you can give us.
We thank you again and look forward to seeing you soon.
Warm regards,
Graham and the Ace NY Team
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Booked this hotel through last minute.com as part of a surprise trip for my husband. Was a little concerned from reading the TA reviews that we would end up on bunk beds which would have been far from ideal as I was hoping for a nice romantic trip. I contacted the hotel before arrival and was told I was in fact booked in for a bunk room however Nathalie provided many options for us if we wished to upgrade. In the end I contacted our travel agent who wasnt the best in terms of communication, in fact it was Nathalie at Ace and not the agency who confirmed it had all been sorted out. If this is the type of service we should expect from the Ace then I am even more excited to arrive on Friday. Could not ask for more in terms of customer relations.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Clarashaharra
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
We all agree that this is the best way to start the day!
Enjoy your stay and we are really looking forward to your visit.
The Team at Ace NY including our Nathaly