“An experience that exceeds expectations!”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #211 of 467 Hotels in New York City
West Orange, New Jersey, United States
“An experience that exceeds expectations!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

ACE is an unique, authentic experience which continues to exceed my expectations. I've stayed at ACE a couple of times in 2012 and each time has been "wowed" by the property, the rooms, the staff, from check-in to check-out. The lobby is a great hang-out for a cocktail. The rooms are interesting, unique, clean and cool. The staff is very helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Hey David A-
Thanks for taking the time to tell us your thoughts and it's great to hear that Ace "wowed" and exceeded all of your expectations while you were traveling on business.
We look forward to seeing you in 2013!
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mount Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Ace on a recent visit and loved it! We stayed in a bunk room on the 12th floor - no view, small room - but didn't mind it at all. The only time we were in the room was to sleep. Location was great, subway was right around the corner so access to all the theaters was good. Great shopping with walking distance. The vibe is younger, the lobby is packed every night and noisy, but the just lends to the whole experience. The staff is top notch - we will definetly be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kwalker2690
Dear kwalker2690,
It will be wonderful to have you and your daughter back with us.
Thanks for the love!
Birmingham
Reviewed January 8, 2013

New York is a full on, busy, relentless city. If you're looking for a hotel that is full on, busy and relentless this place is for you. If you're looking for somewhere to have a quiet drink and chill out after a long day shopping or seeing the sights, then ACE probably wont be the hotel for you.

For me, it felt more like a bar with a hotel than a hotel with a bar. All day long the foyer/bar is packed. So much so that it really is impossible to get a seat. From reading previous reviews, there is a reserved section for guests. We never found it. It's a really noisy bar too, so don't expect a quiet time here.

I contacted the hotel before arriving to secure a room on a high floor. We got a room on the 11th floor with amazing views of the Empire State. Word of caution though; make sure the price you agree before arrival is the price you pay at checkout. The price I agreed for the 'upgrade' wasn't what I agreed and I was left out of pocket. Anyway, the room was immaculate to be fair. Fresh towels every day and spotless.

Location was ok. Customer service was standard for New York.

Great place if loud is your thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluZulu
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear BLUZULU-

We appreciate your feedback and we're sorry to hear that you had trouble with seating in our lobby. We assure you a reserved seating area does exist for our guests and we'd love to help you get a seat next time you're in New York City. Whether you stay with us again or just stop in for a coffee, our staff is here twenty four hours a day ready to help.

With regard to pricing, we are happy to provide a detailed review of the charges. We apologize for any confusion regarding the price increase for the larger room you upgraded to. We will reach out to you directly to provide this information and to clarify.

Sean Walsh
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Any of the four Ace Hotels can be a fun and enjoyable experience if you do your homework and know what you are getting yourself into ahead of time. The things often repeated in these reviews are indeed true: non traditional room layout, a target demographic of young "hipsters" and so on. Ironically, I fit this demographic and my style of dress, hobbies, age, and association of friends could make the case I am in fact a hipster myself. Nonetheless, I believe I can give an honest and non-biased review of the Ace which addresses both the pros and the cons. First of all, to provide further background context, I am a native of Portland, Oregon. I watched the Ace acquire the former Clyde Hotel in my town and convert it some years back. Later on, my friends and I often split rooms overlooking Stark street at the hotel every June for gay pride weekend as the now shuttered bar we frequented held an annual block party weekend there. The lobby of the Portland hotel is also a hotspot for sipping coffee and chatting with others my age, which I have done many times even when not a guest. I have visited the Palm Springs hotel with California friends for their pool parties, but not yet had the opportunity to stay overnight. I also commute up to Seattle 5-6 times per year to visit friends in the emerald city. Hence, I have been a return guest of the Ace Hotel Seattle no less than 8 times. With that said, I stayed at the Ace Hotel NYC for the second time this past week January 1-5, 2013. My previous stay had been in June, 2009 during the soft opening when the hotel was still working out the kinks.

I try to visit New York City at least once a year, more if time and money allow, in order to visit my friends who reside there and to partake in the endless nightlife opportunities. In this case, I visited at the invitation of a friend who is a nightclub manager in order to ring in the New Year. I usually stay at the Larchmont Hotel, despite my love of the Ace, if only because I cannot justify the average $400.00 per night or more going rate I have found the Ace to be asking the past three years. Granted, that is the going rate in NYC for a standard hotel room sadly, but I find that practicality trumps trendiness and my ego when making my travel plans. My ego will suffice so to speak. However, I was able to stay at the Ace during this trip for four nights of my six night stay because they were offering a promotion. I was able to stay in a small room for $99.00 per night. I arrived on New Years Day at 12:30 after having checked out of the Larchmont. I was running on roughly two hours sleep from New Years festivities and was nursing a wicked hangover to say the least. I was hoping my room would be ready, but understood it was not likely to be until 3:00 p.m. Sure enough, it was not ready, but I was engaged in a nice conversation by Reed Smith at the front desk who saw that I was from Portland and chatted with me extensively about both Portland and New York for quite some time, that is when he did not need to break away and tend to other customers, as is his job. Reed saw to it that my bags were stowed by the hotel and could not have been nicer and more professional. I cannot say enough nice things about him. In fact, upon checkout he even gave me his personal email address and told me to contact him prior to my next trip to the city so he can personally tend to my needs and reservation. Anyway, I found the most comfortable chair I could in the lobby, where I fit right in with a pea coat, messenger bag, skinny jeans, lip ring, and Converse. I alternately closed my eyes and caught up on my messages for a few hours. I also ate Brunch at The Breslin. The restaurant is stunningly fun and beautiful in decor, as is the Ace Hotel lobby. However, regarding The Breslin, that is where the fun ends. I knew what to expect I suppose from having eaten dinner at Clyde Commons restaurant at the Ace Portland many times: small but tasty gourmet portions, inflated prices, walk away still hungry. Sure enough, I ordered steel cut oatmeal, a cup of coffee, and a peanut butter/banana sandwich. The oatmeal came in what I would call a large cup rather than a bowl and with tax and tip I spent $30.00. I would not recommend the restaurant unless your pockets are deeper than mine and/or you have a small appetite. Finally at 3:00 p.m. my room was ready. Let me say that the bell staff at the Ace are phenomenal: Eager to retrieve or help with luggage, fetch a taxi, or open doors. Thus, I was offered room assistance with my luggage but politely declined.

I stayed in room 620. It faced 29th street and I had direct view of the top half of the Empire State Building, which never got tiresome! The bed was to die for and I slept like a corpse each night. There was a tub and a large soaking showerhead that I just melted beneath each night after walking around in the brisk January New York weather taking photos all day long. If you walked in the door, the room had a desk to the left wall, a television mounted midway down the wall which could be adjusted and pivoted, and the bed was on the far wall facing toward the door. On the right wall was a mirror with a box beneath which contained: an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, laundry bag, and information regarding laundry service. The bathroom was in the back right corner. The room was perfect for me as a bachelor, and perhaps for a couple who enjoys cuddling/is amorously attached etc. but it would be crampled otherwise. There was no place to sit other than the desk chair or laying down upon the bed. The heating was also excellent and kept me thawed out and toasty each night after that aforementioned NY weather. There was also bountiful stationary, drink provisions and so on in the room, even a corkscrew. My only complaints are two fold. First, there was essentially no storage space in the room whatsoever. There was one industrial pipe on the back wall with half a dozen hangers, a luggage rack, and nothing else. I was able to make this work as I often utilize luggage racks and live out of my bags while traveling anyway as a precaution against bed bugs, but it was disappointing. I had space to hangup my pea coat, lined hoodie, and about three shirts, that was it. There was no place to put folded clothes, two pairs of boots, two pairs of Chuck Taylors, and so on unless you wanted to pile them on the desk or on the floor. Also, the room could have benefitted from having a small fridge for storing leftover takeout and a few drinks. There was space for such, but the hotel used said space to place an honor bar fridge instead. There was also a big bin on top of the desk with provisions available for purchase, not complimentary. Regarding this, I realize hotels make money through honor bars, however at the Ace I found this to be a pretty blatant and almost Disney like extreme. You know, how at Disney properties they mark up price a hundred percent above market rates, squeeze every last dime out of you and do things like fill cups clear to the brim with ice when you order a soda, etc. For example, to open my 1 liter glass water bottle was $8.00 and that price multiplied each day when they refilled it. It was $12.00 additional dollars if I wanted to keep the bottle(I could buy the same bottle at Ikea for $2.00 just minus the Ace Hotel label.) There was a "Headache" kit of aspirin in the room for which I paid $7.00, I believe. A "screw" kit with two condoms and lubricant which I nearly utilized one evening( until finding such provisions residing in the bottom of my messenger bag from home: wink, wink), was roughly the same price. A very small Vitamin Water was $4.00. The same size orange juice was $5.00. I watched "The Dark Knight Rises" one evening for $12.95. The room had two heavenly comforable robes which were also available for purchase but the price was in the high $200.00 range. I want to say something like $265.00. In addition, the hotel also sells their cozy throw blankets that adorn the beds for $300.00. Just between us, I was able to find the same Swiss army throw with cross that was on my bed at the Ace Seattle in a military surplus store up the street in Belltown for less than a third of that price. The hotel even sells Chuck Taylor sneakers, which their staff wear and I had my eye on because that is practically all I wear myself, but they were asking $100.00 for a pair. Again, I could likely find the same shoes online for half that price. I guess, as with the portions and pricing at the Breslin, that is just the nature of the business. However, personally, I think the Ace could cut the prices of their restaurant, gift shop, and honor bar food by a third or half and still turn a profit. I also believe they would make the same amount of money because they would double their volumes purchased.

Regarding the room and the hotel itself, if you understand the target demographics of their marketing, their room decor and layouts etc, the pluses and minuses, beyond that everyone I encountered at the Ace was exceedingly kind and professional. Furthermore my room and the public areas were spotlessly clean. The lobby is a photographers dream. The gym in the basement is complimentary and better than those I have seen in practically any hotels anywhere. The decor of the basement hallways was even intriguing as Hell with lighting and wall linings which reminded of walking down a windowless corridor on the Titanic or something. A stay at any Ace hotel REQUIRES bringing a camera. There is a photo booth in the lobby for making memories, bar in the lobby, and coffee shop in the lobby as well. Yes, the lobby gets loud and noisy, but simply visit it on non peak hours. That is what I did. Finally, I felt very safe and secure at the hotel with double locking chainable room doors, hallway cameras, and key cards required to even activate the elevator to descend not just ascend floors. Ironically though, I did return to my room one evening to find a restuarant menu slid under the door. I am puzzled as to how such a solicitor might have gained entry?? Finally, there are complimentary laptops with internet access on the odd numbered floors which I utilized a few times.

In conclusion, with everyone else addressed there was just one glaring letdown I encountered upon my last day as a guest, which I not only brought to the attention of the front desk, but intend to followup regarding with a hand written letter. On the last day I knew I needed to checkout at noon. I was packed and ready to go, but I did not have a flight until 8:30 that evening. Through no fault of the hotel but strictly my own, I suspect from a combination of exhaustion and too much cumulative nightlife debauchery in the City That Never Sleeps, I was feeling quite ill. Hence, prior to checkout I called the front desk to inquire into arranging a late checkout for additional cost, if available. I explained that if not, I would gladly checkout right then and there. The woman was very polite, but said that my request to stay in the room for four additional hours and checkout at 4:00 p.m. would require an additional half days rate of $99.50. I had been thinking and hoping for a fee or more like $50.00 given that it was only a few hours I was asking for and that my entire nightly rate for the week had the very price I was just quoted. I even thought of walking up the street to a hostel and paying a third of that price for a few hours sleep. However, in the end I agreed to the rate. I went to the lobby where they recoded my key card. I returned the room, made ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I placed the "NOT NOW" (which is Ace language for "DO NOT DISTURB") sign upon the door, swallowed some much needed aspirin and another $8.00 water, showered, and went to sleep. I also made certain to lock and chain the door. I intended to sleep for $24.87 per hour and set my alarm for 3:45 p.m. before checking out and catching a cab at 4:00 p.m. Now, before I continue let me say that the entire week, other than the tendency toward nickel and dimes tactics, my ONLY complaint at ALL about the Ace had been that each day starting at roughly 9:30 there would be a chorus of slamming doors, knocking, and chants of "Housekeeping" traveling up and door the hallways. Many times I would even hear the housekeeping staff bickering back and forth among one another in the hallways at elevated volumes. This is fine if you are an early riser, but in my case, I am a night owl who tends to roll into bed at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. and sleep as late as noon sometimes. I have stayed in hotels all over the country and I do not always want daily service of my rooms. Sometimes I will skip a day, or if I know I am going to be sleeping late choose to skip that day. This is easily communicated through a do not disturb sign or indicator light. Every other hotel I have ever done this with has respected the request and at most followed up with an evening room message to ensure I did not need any towels or anything tended to. So, with that said, having paid my extra fee and taken housekeeping precautions, I took a much needed nap. To my horror and downright outrage, at 2:00 p.m. I was awakened from a deep sleep with a start by repeated and consistent knocking upon my door along with chants of "Housekeeping!" This continued for half a minute until I was fully awake. Then, I distinctly heard a key card attempt to open my door. I thought I was staying at the Ace Hotel NYC not a Motel Six!? I felt like I was living out that scene in the movie "Tommy Boy" where David Spade knocks on the room door repeatedly posing as housekeeping to tease a sleeping Chris Farley. I was unable to go back to sleep. I also checked my door and confirmed that my sign was in full eye level view and had not been removed. I do not have the words to describe how UNBELIEVABLY unprofessional this behavior of the housekeeping staff was and how upset I was. There is quite simply no excuse for such behavior, especially given that I paid to stay in the room and it was not like I was an opportunisitc derelict overstaying his welcome.

All in all I would recommend the Ace and I will be returning. However, as I said at the outset if you are going to be a guest of the hotel make certain that you know going into the stay what to expect. Ace Hotels are not for everyone, and I will acknowledge there are probably more practical hotels with additional amenities for the same price or better. For example, three and a half years ago when I staye the Ace NYC initially offered a continental breakfast. They have since scrapped that amenity. Understand what amenities and services the hotel does and does not offer and so on and make your decision. If you do decide to stay you will find clean rooms, nice decor, and a largely professional staff.

One last note, the blocks immediately surrounding the hotel are trashy and lined with blight. The opposite side of 29th from the hotel suffers this same fate. There are flea market like wholesale shops with tacky storefronts and there are eyesore restaurants with flashy obscene signs. This is no fault of the hotel and out of their control, but it detracts from the experience. If you encounter this simply know that walking a block to 5th avenue escapes the problem and a few blocks up Broadway in either direction does as well. Also, while NYC is by and large safe at night, these surrounding blocks do all close up and become a virtual ghost town after dark. Thus, simply exercise common sense vigilence if you choose to return to the hotel late at night on foot as I often did. Or, approach the hotel from 5th avenue and bypass this entirely if you are concerned about such.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor facing 29th if you wish for an encompassing view of the Empire Stat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank JKPDX
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear JKPDX,

All we can say is wow! This was an insightful read for us and we thank you for taking the time to write it. We are genuinely concerned for other’s well-being while they are with us. Please accept our apology for the issue with noisy hallways. We cannot get your sleep back but we can refund you for the late departure, which we have already taken the liberty of doing. In addition, your comments have been shared with all staff throughout the hotel. We believe that communication creates awareness and unifies our staff. We will reach out to you personally (based on the contact information in your reservation) so we have the opportunity to speak directly.

We know Reed has offered to assist you in the future, he’s a gem, but given the attention your review has generated amongst ACE staff – we would all be more than happy to help you at anytime.

Sean Walsh
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at the Ace in June 2012 and it was amazing. The staff are really friendly and helpful, especially when your a solo gal in need of subway help. The rooms are extremely clean and have a feel of a real NYC apartment with funky interiors. The rooms are a tad small but you come to expect this with an NYC hotel. Believe me the cleanliness and funky interior definitely make up for it. It is also in a great spot for heading to the Empire State Building and a good mid-point to go just about anywhere. I'll definitely be staying there on my next NYC trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Lucylockett82-
Thanks for letting us know about your stay in June. Those subways can be daunting - even for NY'ers! Happy we were able to assist and we look forward to seeing you again!
Cheers,
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I really enjoyed the ace hotel. Modern, contemporary attitude Very, very helpful, friendly, and engaged staff. Unpretentious yet direct and helpful staff. I really enjoyed my experience and would return.

Room Tip: Fun, adventurous, avant-guard hotel and decor by suburban standards, but very service-friendly and e...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Thomas191,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return soon!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I did not expect to enjoy this hotel nearly as much as I did, and very much look forward to return trips.

The staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful. I lost my luggage tag, but the guy who checked my luggage said "oh you're (insert my first name here), I know what bags you left."

Upon checking in, I was informed by the reception clerk that I had requested a quiet room, so she'd placed me on the 10th floor, facing Broadway, but if that didn't seem OK, to let her know. I was also asked if there was anything else I'd need for my room.

The valet who helped me take my luggage upstairs took extra time to show me the specifics of my room.

The room was exceptionally clean, and the view was outstanding (Empire state building filled my window).

Also, the room had a guitar in the corner, just in case I changed my mind about being quiet.

In a big city with so much going on, it's really nice to have a few personal touches.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi KG1977_11,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback.
It will be nice to have you back with us!
Warm regards,