“Central location, hip but noisy”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #205 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 nights in early October. We stayed in a queen room, which was adequate for 2 people (by NYC standards).

The positives - central location. We could walk to both uptown and downtown. Very close to a subway station which we took very often and also to Fifth Ave for walking and shopping. The hotel room decor was fun (sort of 'roadie chic' - we had a neat horn travelling case for a coffee table). The bar in the lobby was always hopping and a good place to have a few drinks. The adjacent restaurant was delicious for breakfast. Staff were responsive - we had an issue with our cable TV the first night and it was rectified quickly with a nice note.

The negatives - very noisy. We faced the street and there is a taxi stand, a mosque and a 24 food stop right outside, plus people exiting the downstairs bar can be noisy. The windows are not double-glazed. I've stayed in NYC previously and this is just a must. We got ear plugs and it still didn't really help. This made it not great value for the cost. I also found, and this is a personal thing, the constant action in the downstairs lobby (daytime - students and young professionals having coffee and working; nightime - bar) was a bit chaotic and made me generally a bit frazzled during the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street
3  Thank mollee22

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at the Ace for two nights this past week. I was concerned reading the reviews that it was going to be noisy and potentially too cool for school. I did not encounter either and I urge other readers of Trip Advisor to consider the source when reading reviews. Although the Ace does have a young and potentially hipster like clientele hanging out in the lobby I found it all amusing. It isn't my scene per se but it is nice to be around some energy. I found the hotel lobby staff to be nothing but accommodating. They went out of their way to be friendly and smiley. I try to be friendly and smiley myself so I guess you reap what you sow. I liked my room a lot. I asked for something high up and away from the elevator as I do like quiet. I received both requests and found the hotel to be quite noise free and calm. I even got a upgrade as I believe I was supposed to get a smaller room and what I got was the next size up-so thank you Ace! I also received a lovely note from the maid thanking me for my tips which I have never ever received before in my life while staying anywhere! I thought the bed was very comfy and the linens were all top notch. The room was immaculate as well and I didn't feel worried walking anywhere with no socks! I found a good rate online for my room and felt the price I paid was good value for money in NYC. There was a bit of a mix up with my bill which I will contact Ace about but it was very minor in nature and I am sure can be fixed very easily. I did try to check in early and was promised a call from the front desk guy when my room was ready. I waited in the lobby for a while and checked for a third time and was told my room was ready. The girl who checked me in apologized since no one did call me to tell me it had been ready for a while. That and the fact I sat in the reserved area for hotel guests bar section and the waitress never once asked me if I would like to order a beverage yet she asked everyone else around me. That was odd. And they lost business as I wanted some tea but I was too tired to get up and get it. Had she asked me I would have ordered and she would have gotten tipped. Go figure! Those two things made me deduct a star. But aside from that the Ace is great. I will def try and get a room here again next time I am in NYC! :)

Room Tip: Tip your maids and be nice!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AveburyL
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The lobby is always busy with excitement and people talking and enjoying time together. The rooms are generally small and this trip our reserved King Bed room was not available so we were forced into an even smaller queen room. A couple doors down a dog barked till late hours waiting for their masters to return, the front desk couldn't help. The room was very hot and couldn't get it cooled down and the fan was noisy. The bed was very soft offering no support, and we woke with back pain. The two pillows for each side were paper thin. Time to find a better place, one that understands how to treat customers.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robear46
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel has a kind of vintage vibe, which is very unique! I got the medium size room and it has a nice size and it's well equipped! I would definitely return and recommend this place! It has a very cool bar on the entrance hall with dj's during the night!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the Ace Hotel for new year's eve 2011. On arrival, my fiancee and I checked in and with exhaustion dropped our stuff off in our room. Wanting to take it easy, I headed down to the lounge to get a cocktail and hang out.

The bartender was quite distracted, and made my Old Fashioned with salt instead of sugar. I was a bit surprised by the distinctly awful flavor of my $12 cocktail, and went back to the bar to ask if the bartender had actually intended to use 2 tsp. of salt instead of 2 tsp. of sugar. The bartender didn't apologize, and seemed put out that I was asking for the drink to be re-made. I ended up with a badly made (but, at least, sugared instead of salted) Old Fashioned, and was still out $12. I'm disappointed that such a fundamental error wasn't apologized for, and that the corrected drink wasn't complimentary.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pdwryst
Reviewed November 20, 2012

while i get it's going for the german gestalt feel, it's insane to spend $500 a night to slum it. my room smelled like cigarettes and the linens were not comfortable. the service is disorganized. many better choices in nyc for the price range. i do like the breslin (the resto in the base) though.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at Ace Hotel NYC ("The Ace"). It is on W 29th Street between 5th & Broadway. It is a super trendy hotel in midtown Manhattan. Rooms are small but on par with sizes of other hotel rooms in NYC. Nothing to be disappointed about. The room and the hotel were very quirky with fun sayings on the keycards, exits, walls, etc. It was very well done. The staff was excellent and courteous. If you want a quiet hotel, this isn't it! Energy and fun is what this place is all about. We will definitely stay again. We appreciated this hotel very much for our very first NYC trip.

-Subway is immediately around the corner
-Few blocks from Macy's Herald Square
-Several blocks from Times Square but is safe and manageable to walk
-Few blocks from Flatiron building and Flatiron district
-Stumptown coffee in the building is excellent
-Entertainment every night in the lobby
-Photo booth in the lobby