“Everything is Ace at ACE”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #220 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Everything is Ace at ACE”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We only stayed here one night but really enjoyed the style of the hotel. The hotel staff were really attentive and almost all of them had great haircuts. It's also good walking distance to some of the big NY attractions like Empire State, Rockafella, Grand Central and the Shake Shack (you have to go here). We also had a really good breakfast in the restaurant downstairs - the one with all of the animal paraphernalia. YUM.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bree m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Islington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Everything about the Ace Hotel just adds to your enjoyment. The excellent bar - where the tip is included in the price, a great thing for a non American like me - which doubles as a club or gig venue hosting very exciting acts. The vibe is open and friendly but also very trendy, without being pretentious. The staff were incredibly helpful. The rooms: the bed sent me to sleep almost instantly and the touches of having lovely products in the bathroom and a beautiful tapestry on the wall made the whole experience just that bit extra above what I expected. My fridge was contained within a box that roadies keep live music gig equipment in.

Room Tip: Some rooms face inwards to a quadrangle yard and don't get much natural light, while others look...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Conveniently central location (if not the most happening neighbourhood in Manhattan); lobby packed to the gills with ironic moustaches, skinny jeans and Macbooks; good-sized, well-designed room with a distinct character (full of things like fridges in flight-cases, polaroid cameras, design magazines and I understand some of the bigger rooms come with guitars and record decks) and excellent, huge rainfall shower; friendly, helpful if terrifyingly fashionable staff. Basically, everything I'd hoped for in a fashionable New York hotel - and Stumptown coffee on the ground floor is probably the best coffee we had in NYC.

Oh, the bar at night plays host to excellent DJs, and is rammed with the bold and the beautiful; beer is $6 for a 12oz can - cocktails are a better bet but no more reasonably priced. Definitely a place to be seen, but not for us; we retired to our room with a six-pack instead.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris W
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I loved this place. Really, it couldn't have been better. Let me tell you a little about where I'm coming from... I lived in NYC for five years so I'm kind of a snob about NYC. I hate tourists. I hate being a tourist. I hate all things touristy. This hotel feels authentically New York, not touristy at all. At the same time I'm also 30 and a new mom, so I'm not exactly super hip these days. From reading other reviews I was a little worried this hotel would feel too cool or too young for me. Nope, not at all. I loved it. Sure there were hipsters but there were plenty of other people too. I think my 60 year old mom would have felt comfortable here.

Looking to save a bit of money I stayed in one of the mini rooms. Best decision ever. It was plenty of space. I'd feel perfectly comfortable staying there again with my husband. In fact, I'd stay in a mini room with husband and baby too as long as we weren't planning to be in the room too much. You have a bed, small desk, TV and private bathroom. The sink is part of the bedroom so it feels a little college dorm-esque, but the design is interesting and vintage-y which makes up for that.

Other pluses:

-Internet is included in the price of the room
-There's a delicious Stumptown coffee shop on site, as well as a few restaurants that are real restaurants NYers eat at, not your usual hotel tourist traps
-The lobby is a makeshift bar or coffee shop (depending on the time of day) where there will always be people hanging out on big couches and at long college library style tables. If you want to get a feel for NYC nightlife without actually participating, walking through this to get to the elevator is great
-Staff were all perfectly nice and helpful

The only downside is the location. 29th and Broadway isn't exactly happening. It's basically just office buildings, cheap jewelry stores and souvenir shops. However, it's a central location near a bunch of subways that will quickly take you to other cool neighborhoods.

Room Tip: The mini rooms are a good bargain!
6 Thank alsawo
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked a staycation for Labor Day weekend and decided to try a couple of hotels in town to review on my blog.
I really liked to Ace. They have lots of really quirky little details that travelers will enjoy and the lobby situation is not to be missed. My room was very comfy with a nice clean bathroom and a tiny soap on a rope at the sink.
There was record player with albums in the room and a pencil sharpener that reminded me of grammar school. The full-sized Smeg refrigerator was a really nice touch and there was room for your own belongings to be kept cold even though it was fully stocked with items for purchase.
I HIGHLY recommend the Ace for all travelers. It is super clean, really comfy, really well staffed with folks who care and it is just plain fun!

Room Tip: depending on what you need, all of the rooms are very nice and the bathrooms are well done.
1 Thank L D
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Ace Hotel and it was a brilliant find.
The most reasonable accommodation I could find (by NY standards) when I booked so did not know what to expect but read lots of positive reviews before booking so thought it couldn't be all that bad.
What a pleasant surprise when I arrived to find the friendliest staff and a really hip hotel. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is budget conscious but also wants decent accommodation in Manhattan. The location was perfect with close proximity to the subway station and really central to get to anywhere.

The room was small (I booked a micro room) but very fresh, clean and comfortable with a big bathroom. This hotel has made a great effort to pay incredible attention to adding quirky detail to the decor and is unlike anywhere I have stayed before.

2 Thank AngelaBax