“Great location With big cleanig issues...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oxbridge Midtown East Apartments

Oxbridge Midtown East Apartments
Ranked #409 of 478 Hotels in New York City
“Great location With big cleanig issues...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The bathroom and the kitchen of the apartment 10J in which we stayed, were really old even if equipped with all necessary utensils. The real problem Was the big amount of dust everywhere in the apartment and the fact that we noticed our bedrooms were used as a closet for the cleaning stuff, smelly sometimes, of all the apartments of the property. I think this is a problem of this Only apartment but noone told us anything before our arrival. Except all of this, the location Was great and at walking distance from major attractions in midtown and the doorman Charlie Was really helpful and kind.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Albiram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed here in December 2007 as a party of 5 and booked the Midtown East (210E, 47th Street) 1 bedroom apartment. We found this property from Holiday-Rentals.co.uk and contacted the owner using the contact form. This was our first time to New York and we liaised with Mr. Douglas Cooper via email and he was very co-operative. We filled in the card authorisation form and emailed it to Mr. Cooper. On arrival, the door man had our key waiting for us. Check in is after 16:00 and check out is 10:00 am but a conditional 12:00 check out is also possible. Rates are quoted in US dollars and are inclusive of tax.

The room living area was spacious with a dining table for four, a coffee table, two double futons that convert into beds, a television with lots of channels and a folding bed (that we requested for). Pillows and linen is provided for in the room for the futons and folding bed. There is no service such as housekeeping during your stay but there is a broom if you want to sweep up.

The kitchen was small but it had everything that you could need such as utensils, a fridge, a microwave, kettle etc. We found a supermarket nearby where we bought some breakfast items such as bread, coffee etc. The bedroom had a double bed and cupboard, chest of drawers – the usual stuff. There is also a telephone in the room. There is no Wi-Fi or Internet connection.

The bathroom was of decent size with a sink, toilet and shower facility. There were towels provided in the room.

There wasn’t much of a view from our apartment but we were 5 minutes away from Grand Central Station so we could not complain much. We spent most of our time outside of the apartment so we just needed a place to sleep and store our belongings. Overall, whilst this was not a 5 star apartment, the apartment was clean, the location was central and it was very good value for money.

Room Tip: Email the Owner and explain your requirements
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Mizz_Chilli
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I was a bit concerned after reading the reviews on these apartments.
We stayed 4 nights in studio flat 11E and had no problems, the letting agents were very helpful when emailed, the doorman had our key ready at the desk. The apartment was very clean and had everything we needed, good quality towels,comfortable bed,full kitchen facilities.
We were able to walk to Times Square,Central Park,Rockefeller Centre etc.
I think some people want a 5 star hotel for budget money. We would certainly stay there again if we go back to New York.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lyndajwells
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

I would stay well away from this place. not only is it more hassle than it's worth to get paperwork sorted out just to get in but the doormen and owner of the particular unit were of no help whatsoever. The fridge was not working (I think the cleaner forgot to come back after turning it off to defrost) the kitchen was flooded. The shower curtain was not held up properly and only lasted 1 shower and if you are taller than 5'7" you won't fit in the bed.
On the plus side, it's only a 10 minute walk straight up 47th st to Times Square and there is parking right next door if you are willing to pay a fortune for it..
In my opinion there has to somewhere alot better for the price and I will certainly be looking for it next time i'm in New York.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank peachystar73
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

First off, the hassle. If you book through a web site (hotels.com etc), PLESE make sure you contact the premises EARLY too confirm. You must fill out a guest card and give your credit card info (300 hold for incidentals). This was not that big a deal to me. The 'hassle' is the owner, whio isn't the warm fuzzy type and prefers email to phone calls. Also no matter how early you send your info you will not get a confirmation till the day before--if your credit card card doesn't cut it--you have no room, he says even if you're prepaid-fortunately mine cut it, lol) How ever, he is prompt insending you the info and the guys at the front desk are very nice I thought- IF you are like me and prefer an apartment to a hotel room, this is PERFECT-if you need to have someone clean up after you make the beds for you this isn't the place-it's NOT a hotel, it's an apartment building. The lace was very clean when I got there lots of space (and I had a studio). kitchen, bed futon fold out couch and a roll away bed, dining table-there are laundry facilities but the machine to by your card was out-I was told I would have to call myself by the maintenance staff--one of the doorman had one he said I could use and just pay him for the amount I used on it---Over all I frankly I LOVED IT--but apartment suits me more than hotel when I travel----and the owner is not to be seen-he respects your privacy completely-He does ask you leave the place the way you found--I was happy to comply.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jonggentry
Menlo Park, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

The Oxbridge Midtown East Apartments are six units located in the Diplomat condominiums, midtown Manhattan in New York City, N.Y., between Second and Third Avenues. I chose it for location and low cost. I got both.

The booking experience is sort of like renting a ski cabin: initial booking, a second step to place a deposit (credit card via fax), and key pick up from the friendly doorman.

I stayed in room 7A, with a “city view.” Clean sheets were waiting on top of the double bed, so I had to make my own bed. I had to scrounge around for a blanket. No shampoo. Mini-blinds meant there was a lot of light coming into the room during the night. Broadband internet worked fine. Quiet neighbors. For the price and location it was a good deal and I would return.

Photos at: http://bobd2h.smugmug.com/Travel/Oxbridge-Midtown-East/10004206_Kj7si#684441719_c3sGe

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BobD2H
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

Good stay, with amenities of an apartment. Small, but full kitchen is great, with a grocery store and fruit stand up 2nd Ave. They have five units in the building - front- (2/F, 11/F) and rear-facing (4/F, 7/F, 10/F). Our 2/F studio was quiet. Large main room with double bed, futon, rollaway bed, four-seater dining table, drawers, cable TV, mini-stereo, cordless phone (free local calls in/out), wireless/wired internet, night tables and full-width window with a ledge. Ran out of hot water at times and a slow draining clogged tub - flagged by other reviewers (yet not fixed?). While the apartment was great overall, there were procedural annoyances. After booking online, you get a message to call management in New York to find out how to check in - very inconvenient for an online booking. After getting voicemail (no one called back), found an email online (oxbridge@aol.com), which was responded to. They want to send you a credit-card form to fax/email back to cover any damage, etc. Suspect we could have checked in regardless as the same blank form also in room. The other inconvenience is that you have to check out by 10am (they say you can leave your bags, but only until noon) and then check in is a late 4pm. No flexibility. Otherwise, the guard seems to be 24 hours and had our key waiting. Apartment stays are great, but a risk if anything goes wrong as harder to find help than in a hotel. Management contact here does not seem friendly or helpful. But would stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple